what do you think of this sub

Scp53

has anyone ever had DCM subwoofers. I demoed one the other day(the TB1212) and was pretty impressed with how tight and low it was. I posted something about building one but now that I've heard this one, I might not need to build one. I played a variety of music on it and also LOTR The Two Towers and bass was very good. The room I was in was set up as a living room and had a cement floor and I still felt it hit hard 15-20 ft away.6.gif what do you think of this sub??

I forgot to add that there are two composite paper woofers. one active and one passive. the active one is downfiring and passive is the one seen in the picture. The amp is 150 watts RMS. freq- 27-120 hz (±3dB), and has clipping protection along with subsonic filter( 18dB@25Hz).

scp53

Depends on your needs I suppose. I took a look at the specs and for $300 I suppose it may be ok. It stops short at lower frequencies with a total response down to only 27 Hz. Probably won't get too much out of it with a 150W amp and med/small enclosure, but to each his/her own.5.gif

Dont be shy, go ahead and post your room dimensions, music tastes and components of your home movie and music reproduction system in your profile that way, we can look it up and give you expert advice. 1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

this looks so eariely like my mtx sub it has the same specs and eveything and and the amplifer pictured in the instuctions is the same. HMM.......

here is the new line of mtx subs

http://www.mtx.com/homeaudio/products/subwoofers/

and here is my older line. why i was able to get my 15 inch sub for less then $300

http://www.mtx.com/homeaudio/archive/indexsub.cfm

I absolutly love my sub for the money. it was one of the best deals i ever got. you might want to step up to the 15. if you are bass hungry at all. and yes even though it is rated only at 27 hZ it will dig deeper then that. not as loud obviously but it will dig deeper. i just wish i had the equipment to find out how much lower.

Hi

Cant say much about the sub but I had a pair of dcm 12 floorstanding speaks, I got them at circuit city for like 250 a piece or something. I really liked them and they had a lot of bass. They are a canadian speaker and not heard of often

Good luck

Not trying to offend you, but I think you'd be happier NOT knowing the true response of your sub. A db meter would probably reveal that it dropped off even earlier than 27 hz and that 27 was the point at which it had no power. Subs in this range are typically meh...They seem good for awhile but then you start understanding and realizing their limitations, and they become more of an annoyance than a system enhancer. If I were buying, I'd try to save up a few hundered more and get something like an entry level SVS. I think in the long run you'd be far more satisfied with that than you could ever be with the DCM.

thanks for all the replies. I ll either buy a svs or might do a diy sub. svs was my first choice but my parents limit how big it can be(I still have 1 year left of hs). any good recommendations for a diy sub that cost between 250-400 dollars thats good for home theater in a 18x20 foot room with synergy speakers(maybe there isn't one?).

thanks again,

scp539.gif

----------------

On 6/7/2004 12:01:03 PM prodj101 wrote:

Not trying to offend you, but I think you'd be happier NOT knowing the true response of your sub. A db meter would probably reveal that it dropped off even earlier than 27 hz and that 27 was the point at which it had no power. Subs in this range are typically meh...They seem good for awhile but then you start understanding and realizing their limitations, and they become more of an annoyance than a system enhancer. If I were buying, I'd try to save up a few hundered more and get something like an entry level SVS. I think in the long run you'd be far more satisfied with that than you could ever be with the DCM.

----------------

you are probably right, but i did not have a few hundred more to dump into it. My wife got mad i spent as much as i did, I think it a very good sub for the money. i beats everything i have heard in that price range and a little bit above. Of course i would love to someday have ansvs sub, along with a ptroperly matched home theater, and a pair of klipschhorns, just a matter of being patient and waitng till, i have a lot of money when i am old and grey.

prodj101, my size limits are probably 20-23" cubed 6.gif . I don't want to really go higher than that. Ive been reading on the parts express forum and for the money a Dayton quatro 12 or 15" driver puts out decently9.gif. I figured with all material and the driver and amp, it cost me 250-280 total. The guys on that forum tuned it to mid 20hz range and said its good for theater and pretty good for music. I also found out that it has a flat response from 20-25 hz----to 90hz and when put in the correct box sounds controled and non boomy. some of you should look at the quatro and tell me what you think. the titanics are nicer for sure but need more power to make something of them. pe also handles dvc sub drivers. I would consider one of those before a titanic. one person said they got a little over 105 db in his 15 by 15 foot room from his listening position(quatro 15inch in a 5.5cuft box vented).tell me your opinion(s)9.gif

scp53

----------------

On 6/8/2004 12:09:37 AM Scp53 wrote:

prodj101, my size limits are probably 20-23" cubed
6.gif
. I don't want to really go higher than that. ... I figured with all material and the driver and amp, it cost me 250-280 total.

----------------

I'm too lazy to model both those but just by looking at the specs, the DVC will require a larger enclosure than the Titanic.

Unfortunately you have several contradictory design criteria for you sub... with the most obvious being it's small size. Basically all subwoofers are designed as a balance between enclosure size / efficiency / bass extension. Physics dictates that improving the performance in one of those areas hurts performance in the other two. Manufacturers balance this as well as the cost to produce drivers in hopes of finding the match that will appeal to a mass market. So:

Large enclosure = efficient and inexpensive (eg: Tempest)

Small enclosure = inefficient and more expensive (eg: Tumult)

Then you have a whole bunch of drivers which fall somewhere in-between... like the Titanic, the AV15, and the Blueprints.

You may have to sacrifice extension to accommodate the budget and size.

Later...

Rob