DeadHead Question???

Gilbert

----------------

On 5/27/2004 3:58:24 AM hightone wrote:

Go to WWW.gdlive.com or is it .net? Try both .Some great shows you can download.Its legal and free. The white cover anthem of the sun album can be found on E-Bay every so often. It was an early pressing.

----------------

It's GDLive.com. There are some great shows you can download.

Audible,

How about Cornell University, '77 Scarlet>Fire. Maybe the best ever.1.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me preface this by saying that I enjoy the dead, like I enjoy, say, The Kinks. Don't mind listening to them once in a while. Workingman's Dead, Blues for Allah were my favorites. But there were several times in collge where I was about to wage a Jihad against Dead Heads. I was as big a stoner-waste as any deadhead back in the day 4.gif but as soon as the Dead Heads invaded a party they pulled a coup d'etat on the tape deck with their sh*tty 18th generation bootleg of a 2 hour version of Fire on the Mountain and would piss and moan when anyone suggested that perhaps some different music might liven the party up a bit. Reasonable stuff, we all enjoyed Led Zeppelin, The Who, Floyd, you know, standard college stoner stuff, but you'd think we were forcing them to listen to Tiffany. Once or twice there was a stern ***-kicking administered over such things.

Anyhow, I could never understand how some people could only listen to the Dead and nothing but The Dead, their entire lives.

I agree with you 100%! I was somewhat guilty of that years ago but now I probably listen to the Dead about 5-10% of the time.

This is why I think you can't just start someone out with live stuff unless it is hand selected. Dead newbies will be bored to tears listening to some of those long jams.

It was just the context so to speak. If a couple guys were just hanging out on the couch, no problem. There was a good Dead cover band in town, I went to see them quite a few times and enjoyed myself. Just isn't party music you know. On the other hand, it was better than having some clown trying to play M.C. Hammer or Poison. I must admit however, to having just checked out Motley Crue's Decade of Decadence from the library. :) Don't tell anyone, but I did kind of enjoy the Crue early on.

Also checked out Rhino's 5 volume "In Yo Face" history of Funk. Great stuff! What ever happened to funk? I guess Disco just kind of destroyed the whole R&B based genre.

----------------

On 5/27/2004 2:31:01 PM garymd wrote:

I agree with you 100%! I was somewhat guilty of that years ago but now I probably listen to the Dead about 5-10% of the time.

This is why I think you can't just start someone out with live stuff unless it is hand selected. Dead newbies will be bored to tears listening to some of those long jams.

----------------

Was just listening to Dick's Picks Vol. 12 from June 26, 1974. Hard to believe that was nearly thirty years ago! It's a great one. The band was really UP. Who put the benzedrine in Mr. Kreutzman's Ovaltiine? 1.gif The tempoes are up and the rhythm section is ON. Weir plays with real invention; some great chords going there, and Garcia just has fun on top of it all.

The third disc opens with a great rendition of The Weather Report Suite, one of my favorites of Weir's writings, and then moves into a long jam that culminates in U. S. Blues. . . . I just love that segment. Recommended!

Gary, there's no doubt about 5/8/77. It's so much discussed and revered in Dead circles, it's suffered backlash as a result (given the label of overrated). It's NOT overrated, it's THAT good.

Reminds me of a tale about such in Deadbase, as a hippie head shows up near the Ivy League campus, lost. So he pulls into a gas station and asks the attendant how to get to Cornell, to which the attendant responds "Get a better score on your SAT". Hopefully he didn't miss that Scarlet>Fire!

Ray -

Please advance your CD player to "Eyes of the World" on disc two9.gif It's quite pleasurable9.gif, compliments of Branford Marsalis9.gif