Klipschorn moving advice

I'm going to move my Klipshorns upstairs to a larger room (base on forum advice). Each Klipshorn weights around 167lbs. What's the best way to move these puppies (where to hold, where not to hold, etc.).

We are going to try this with 3 people up a flight of stairs.

Thanks

Wrap a blanket and shrinkwrap around the majority of the veneered surfaces. and get some hosses to help. If your stairs are wider, an appliance dolly is nice, and use plywood sheets so you can pull the dolly up a smooth incline. Make sure you are called away so you don't throw your back out.2.gif

As Taylor said, take the top section off, as well as the side grilles. Our K-horns our upstairs, and this is what we did.

If the stairs are carpeted, lie the flat front side of the bass bin on the stairs, and you can simply slide them up. They are really not that heavy once the top section has been removed, and can be carried up.

Or take them out the front door of you house, load them up in the back of a U-Haul truck, drive them down here to Lakeland, and just leave them in my front porch. I'll take care of the rest when I get home from work tonight. 9.gif

I've never laughed so hard in my life as seeing a friend riding a refrigerator down a long, steep flight of stairs, bang out through the front door, and fly above a five step porch. Heavy objects really pick up some inertia once they get going!2.gif

Why am I suddenly thinking of the Laurel & Hardy film where they're trying to move a piano up that really long flight of outdoor steps?1.gif

Seriously, get a real refrigerator dolly - the kind with the belt to wrap around whatever you're moving and the caterpiller tracks on the bottom to facilitate getting up stairs. I've gotten my Belles up a flight of stairs with a 180 degree bend in them using mine. Wrapping with a thick blanket and taking the tops off are also good ideas. Make sure what you are holding on to is actually a structural member and not just a trim piece. Above all, take your time and make sure you won't have any "negative clearance" issues anywhere in the trip. It would be bad to get one of these up the stairs and then discover it won't fit through the door. I had a friend who didn't take the time to check that out, and wound up sawing his sofa apart when it got jammed in a stairwell and wouldn't go either direction.

OOf-dah! Sawing the sofa in half stories are scaring me. :-) Was a chainsaw used?

I will try to remove the tops of the Klipshorns. I will gingerly experiment with one speaker at a time.

Hopefully in this process saws and power tools will not be needed.

Thanks for all the posts and help.

Kilowattski

Two hefty dudes and alot of beer would help. At least it would dull the pain - medicinally speaking, of course.

I have always moved the bass cabinets about by the top "wings". Also, "walking" them from one side and the other prevents having to actually pick them up.

The case of moving them up a flight of stairs is another issue. The use of a hand truck would certainly help in that case, especially when having to turn corners on the stairs.

DM

WIMPS!!11.gif

I moved both pair of K-horns completely unassisted! Unloaded them from the back of the Suburban. From the Suburban to the garage. From the garage into the house.

Of course there are only a few steps leading into the house, but if you're careful and remove the tops and skirts (hey, I like the sound of that3.gif ), then two people should be able to carry them up with no trouble at all.

I was surprised by how manageable the bass bins bins are.16.gif

----------------

On 5/26/2004 3:04:46 PM gullahisland wrote:

WIMPS!!
11.gif

I moved both pair of K-horns completely unassisted! Unloaded them from the back of the Suburban. From the Suburban to the garage. From the garage into the house.

Of course there are only a few steps leading into the house, but if you're careful and remove the tops and skirts (hey, I like the sound of that
3.gif
), then two people should be able to carry them up with no trouble at all.

I was surprised by how manageable the bass bins bins are.
16.gif

----------------

Your remarkable feat of strength and endurance can probably be attributed to the ADRENALINE rush of anticipation often associated with corner horns!

DM2.gif

<[/blockquote>

Your remarkable feat of strength and endurance can probably be attributed to the ADRENALINE rush of anticipation often associated with corner horns!

DM2.gif

----------------

LOL - You couldn't be more correct! I never thought of it that way, but that's EXACTLY what was going through my head.

We do find remarkable strength in such dire situations!3.gif

----------------

On 5/26/2004 9:00:36 AM sheltie dave wrote:

I've never laughed so hard in my life as seeing a friend riding a refrigerator down a long, steep flight of stairs, bang out through the front door, and fly above a five step porch. Heavy objects really pick up some inertia once they get going!
2.gif

----------------

Damn, that's one heck of a mental picture. I've had some nightmares like that too, usually with my four year old waiting at the bottom of said stairs trying to stop it!

(Note: I think "inertia" in this case might be "momentum" ... Where did I put my Newton Cliff Notes? 9.gif )