Best method of shipping for heavy Dehavilland SET 845 Aries monoblock amps

Hello. I am buying the matching goldplated Dehavilland Aries SET

845 monoblock amps to my new to me goldplated Dehavilland Verve preamp. Each monoblock amp weighs in at 57 lbs. an amp. I don't know yet what the packaged weight will be. I have always used Fedex Express 3 Day Air for shipping & have not had any equipment damaged. I am leary of ground shipping due to possible rough handling. I know Fedex 3 day Air will not be cheap. Would Forward Air be any cheaper in shipping? Ted, the seller lives in El Granada, California-close to San Francisco. We have a Forward Air here in Corpus Christi, Texas. I am getting an excellent deal on 2 year old amps from the original owner-1/3 of the retail price. Ted is moving to solid state gear.

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Mike

Mike, The summer I worked as a roadie for the Moody Blues, all the delicate equipment was packed in hard foam in Anvil type cases. I recently have done five tube amp shipments in a Pelican hard case with good success. The only damage that has occurred is when a gorilla slammed the case against a wall or truck side, and a couple caps were torn asunder in my Blueberry. Shipping in a good hard case will eliminate any type of crushing and puncture damage, and I would want a good hard case for each of these amps. You might even consider their original box package, then put into a large Anvil case. They would be too heavy to throw around, which is were the damage occurs.

After seeing damage patterns, the type of shipping and carrier really doesn't matter. They tend to get damaged when they are loaded and unloaded, and I have only a 25% non-damage rate with FedexAir.11.gif I would save the shipping money, do it ground, and spend the savings on an indestructible case you can use over and over, or resell to a forum member. I can only imagine what my Blueberry would have been like if not packed properly in the Pelican.

----------------

On 5/27/2004 4:26:27 AM LonestarBlues wrote:

Hello. I am buying the matching goldplated Dehavilland Aries SET

845 monoblock amps to my new to me goldplated Dehavilland Verve preamp. Each monoblock amp weighs in at 57 lbs. an amp. I don't know yet what the packaged weight will be. I have always used Fedex Express 3 Day Air for shipping & have not had any equipment damaged. I am leary of ground shipping due to possible rough handling. I know Fedex 3 day Air will not be cheap. Would Forward Air be any cheaper in shipping? Ted, the seller lives in El Granada, California-close to San Francisco. We have a Forward Air here in Corpus Christi, Texas. I am getting an excellent deal on 2 year old amps from the original owner-1/3 of the retail price. Ted is moving to solid state gear.

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Mike

----------------

Mike,

Why not simply write Kara Chaffee at Dehavilland? I'm sure she will be glad to tell you how she packs and ships them after building them. Enjoy those SE

845s. They have excellent iron, thus the weight.

Klipsch out.