Simple Sub Positioning Question

Jo-Jo

I'm curious. I was talking to DwK the other day about a new setup he designed. He said someone told him having 4 subs in a square room wouldn't be good because the sound waves each projected would cancel each other out, which makes a ton of sense. However, my question is, if you're sitting in the very center of the room and the subs are hypothetically positioned perfectly towards you, then why wouldn't the sound waves be hitting you for the most part before depleating each other? Wouldn't the depleation (if any?) take place after you heard the sound? Maybe I'm just odd...

This message has been edited by Jo-Jo on 07-12-2001 at 01:14 PM

It depends on where you are listening. If the 4 subs are driven with an identical signal in a symetric room, they will set up a complex interferrence pattern. Some spots will add, some will subtract and the rest will be a mess. Since the subs will probably not be driven identically, the pattern will be even more of a mess.

A system like HornEd's with each sub driven from a different channel would be easier to set-up since each channel has different content (at least in theory) and wouldn't set up the same interferrence pattern.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Yeah ok. I was thinking something like that might happen. After I posted this, I got to thinking. Speakers don't emit perfect waves; perfect being defined as waves that will position to one point. I figured the sound waves not traveling in the "perfect" direction would run into each other. My only question after that would have been whether or not waves hitting from the sides would cancel. But that was answered by my swimming pool. If you make two different waves with your hands and push them diagonally towards each other, they still cancel out. But, yeah, anyways, question answered. Thanks Jim.

This message has been edited by Jo-Jo on 07-12-2001 at 06:57 PM