New sub conundrum

Zbullet

I know their not cheap, but with 7's you really should be looking to at least the RSW-12 or if possibly the RSW-15. Given your money concerns and the solid bass that you get from the 7's by themselves, I'd save my cash until I could get a more substantial sub to pair with them.

~shoe

TheRSW line uses a better driver with a larger more capable magnet structure which allows it to put out a cleaner more accurate sound. Also, the RSW line uses a passive radiator instead of a port. A passive radiator works by using the air displaced by the active radiator, which causes a change in internal cabnit pressure, to move in and out accordingly. A port is just a tuned opening in an enclosure. Passive radiator designs tend to be more accurate and tight sounding than ported designs, because the passive radiator provides some resistance to the active driver and puts it under more pressure to return to the resting position.

Aside from these major factors in enclosure design, the RSW line also uses a higher end amplifier. It is of higher capacitance and output capability than the RW series amplifiers and allow better control over the driver, which also contributes to the RSW's tight, quick sound.

From an Asthetics standpoint, the RSW line also wins, hands down. If the difference isn't already obvious from the online pictures, running your hand over the subs will tell whatever the pictures do not. The RSW line uses a real wood veneer rather than vinyl, which really is quite a bit more pleasing to the eyes and hands. Also, the plastic work on the RW line feels and looks very cheap, and doesn't seem like something that would hold up over time.

In terms of output, the RSW-12 is the RW-12's superior by 6 decibles at 30 hz, with an almost identical frequency range. Although the RW-12 is rated at 21hz -3db and the RSW-12 is -3 at 22hz, I do think that the RSW-12 would have a bit more power at those levels.

----------------

On 6/1/2004 4:41:40 PM Zbullet wrote:

I am looking at pairing either a RSW 10 or an RW 12 with RF-7's and am interested in everybodies take on it. I have a hard time justifying the extra $160 for the RSW. Opinions please! Cory

----------------

I've never heard the RSW-10, but the RW-12 is no match for your RF-7s.

Great post prod. I appreciate the breakdown. I am frustrated with my local (Klipsch) dealer though, they don't carry any RSW subs nor did they carry the RF-7's. I understand that Klipsch wants to stay away from online dealers, but when your local one doesn't really carry anything but low end stuff it sucks. Cory

Dont be shy, go ahead and post your room dimensions, music tastes and components of your home movie and music reproduction system in your profile that way, we can look it up and give you expert advice.

The RF7s actually have fairly deep support, so a modest sub is NOT going to add any depth or mid-bass punch, it will only add sloppy boom and color the mid-range. The top of the line RF7s go down to 32Hz, which is deep enough for all but the deepest notes. A modest sub will have plenty of 60Hz bass, so it wont help out with depth and only add mid-bass boom. The mid-bass signals extend all the way up to 400Hz and beyond, which colors the mid-range with overtones. You need a powerful high output sub to match the RF7s output. You need a powerful and deep sub to extend their frequency response lower. Think SVS tubes or top of the line RSW.4.gif

Which SVS would compliment a pair of RF - 35s ?

Like everyone was telling our friend with the RF - 7, I want to get something that isn't beneath my RF - 35s on the same hand I don't want to get this amazing sub that is way above the rest of my rig.

song wega XBR 30" 16:9

RF - 35s

Harmon Kardon AVR 230

sony dvd

sony vhs

An SVS PB2+ box sub will do wonders for your setup as I get response down to 12 Hz and killer SPL around 20 (where I tuned it). You could even go up to the PB2 Ultra and get even more out of it. Both of these (especially the ultra) will probably give you more and deeper output than even the top RSW-15. And it'll save you some cash as well. I can't give you figures as I don't have any data on hand, but you'll never look back and say, "This thing just doesn't do it for me."

Anyway... that's my $0.02

They'll blend perfectly.

This is just my point exactly - do you think your sub should cost more than both your right and left flr. standing .... seems strange ..... like I said I'm new.

What do you think about the cylinders?

Honestly I'm thinking about the SVS 25 - 31 PCi ..... you think this is a bad idea?

Colin nice addition it really brings into focus the whole goal. Also it seems like everybody here is really big on the SVS can anyone give me the basic rundown cost, size, you know the pertinent stuff. Thanks again for all the help. I asked the same question in the 2 channel and got zero responces. I know it was a differant forum but I am also trying to sell a pair of Heritage speakers, and no one even took the time to say get out of here and go to the sub forum. anyway thanks again for the comments Cory

Sorry you had to bite zee bullet, but I did NOT see your post, in my own humble opinion, I think you should budget a comfortable amount for upgrades, I spend about $500 each year trying to improve my system, I am always looking for the next tweak or feature, last year it was room treatments, this year it is new horns, next year maybe Xvrs or drivers, so yes, I think spending about what the loudspeakers cost on a sub with built in amplifier is about right, same with other front-end equipment, seems like you have to spend as much as the loudspeakers in order to match the quality, but then loudspeakers are the only bargain in audio you get the most bang for your buck with them,

the RF-35 go down to 37Hz, which is good, better than bookshelf loudspeakers, but they miss the first octave, so you do need a sub to fill in the lower Hz and to get flat, accurate frequency response, which is important for music, you can also use a sub to get more mid-bass punch, which is nice for movies, in my own humble opinion, the KSW series will sound great at first, mine did with big ole horns, but after awhile, you will want the higher quality (deeper sound, more punch) of the RSW series subs, or something like the 25-series SVS tubes

1.gif