Best Rock Band

neo33

I like a ton of bands and have heard many live.

If I just had one to listen to it would be CSNY.

I have seen them live n about every iteration since 1976, including the aborted 1976 Stills Young band tour.

And both CSNY reunion tours of the last few years with Booker T Jones (organ)and Duck Dunn (bass).

Strange those tours have not come out on DVD.

+++++++++++++++++

If I had to live with only one LP or CD it would be "4 Way Street".

It rocks

They can sing harmony

You can understand the lyrics.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"There was a good bit of post-punk hardcore around before them (Black Flag, Dead Kenndys, etc) but they never got anywhere near the mainstream"

I don't think being mainstream is a requirement of the list although being influencial and impacting mainstream rock certainly is a way to get consideration for the list. I also don't think a great local band like the NEIGHBORHOODS was impactful enough to get on the list...influencial bands like Big Star and Mission of Burma were globally influential despite limited popularity and would be better examples of low popularity bands that could make the all time greats list.

Of all those hardcore bands including legends like MINOR THREAT, BIG BLACK, TELEVISION, and the MINUTEMEN, I picked HUSKER DU and the REPLACEMENTS to be on my list of all time greats. Athough Black Flag and their SST label and the DK's and their Alterntive Tenticals label were bigger forces in the hardcore culture/scene I've found the music of the Huskers and Replacements to be stronger....not that I don't like "Holiday in Cambodia" or "Rise Above" (is that the name of that song from DAMAGED)? Why did Biafra wear what looked like green rubber gloves?

I have been tempted to add "X" to the list to represent the LA Hardcore scene and even Mission of Burma who was a bit more mature but since this is an all time greats list I though only a couple of this genre were needed. For the same reason I picked only NIRVANA from the late 80's/early 90's. I think they will be remembered heads above those other grunge bands as THE act that started the movement of putting hard alt. rock into the mainstream...I also think their landmark lp is still a notch above anything from Soundgarden, Alice, etc....Pearl Jam would have to be my second pick.

I would add METALLICA which is in another camp not represented by other bands mentioned and clearly a legend in that space taking AC/DC-type rock to another level.

I also thought of Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc. and only picked BUDDY HOLLY. I probably should add Berry and Little Richard since they contributed so much to classic rock followers. I stopped short of putting blues bands that influenced Clapton, Stones, etc. into the ROCK list. I also didn't put a chapter on MOTOWN although there probably needs to be one. Was it the Funk Bros that were so great or their name acts like Marvin Gaye, Smokey, etc? Sure they had the famous licks but it's only been in restrospect that they are getting credit for more hits than Beatles, ELvis,etc combined. They certainly should be on glorified within the Motown chapter but I wouldn't take away from the singers that got all the credit.

I think Rolling Stone has been very opinionated but they were especially critical of the Moodies...more so in restrospect in their album guide than of Led Zep which gets good reviews (ie 5-stars for IV). They certainly were also critical of Black Sabbath.

What about VU and Lou Reed?

Bob Mould is certainly a hugely unappreciated artist. If you combine his solo efforts, Husker Du and Sugar, you have body of work comparable to the all-time greats of rock.

Also in the same vein, REM has put together a truly impressive discography, although I'm not a huge fan of theirs. Probably becuase Stipe is a little too whiny for my tastes.

Rise Above is the song. My personal faves were Six-Pack, Loose Nut and the classic TV Party. People tend to over look the pre-Rollins Flag, who were IMO, a load of fun.

Of all those hardcore bands including legends like MINOR THREAT, BIG BLACK, TELEVISION, and the MINUTEMEN, I picked HUSKER DU and the REPLACEMENTS to be on my list of all time greats. Athough Black Flag and their SST label and the DK's and their Alterntive Tenticals label were bigger forces in the hardcore culture/scene I've found the music of the Huskers and Replacements to be stronger....not that I don't like "Holiday in Cambodia" or "Rise Above" (is that the name of that song from DAMAGED)?

Rolling Stone hates anything that remotely resembles Prog-Rock. Genesis, Yes, the Moodies, pretty much always get raked over the coals.

I think Rolling Stone has been very opinionated but they were especially critical of the Moodies...more so in restrospect in their album guide than of Led Zep which gets good reviews (ie 5-stars for IV). They certainly were also critical of Black Sabbath.

I like them, but they/he never clicked with me as much as with others.

What about VU and Lou Reed?
----------------

Jeez, almost forgot my favorite band to come out in the last 10 years, Radiohead. Pretty much have gone off into uncharted waters as far as a band considered chart worthy. Terrific live band too.

Red Hot Chili Peppers I think will be considered to be in the panthenon of all-time greats when it's all said and done. Been a long trip from the skate-funk goof balls of the 80s to where they are today. The RHCP and Foo Fighters show was THE best concert I've ever been too. The place was stoked, the bands, were psyched, the music was awsome.

----------------

On 6/3/2004 8:44:17 AM stan krajewski wrote:

Of course this is all personal taste but...

Based on their influence on music, world culture, how much they grew musically, how each of them became a superstar on their own, etc. , etc..

I remember Leonard Bernstein on TV in one of his young people's lectures on music talking about how great their music is. Some kids snickered and he quickly pointed out that he was dead serious and more so, he explained and demonstrated why he felt their music was so good. I watched all those shows and to my recollection they were the only rock band mentioned.

You all know who I'm talking about and I did'nt have to mention thei name.

Boy, am I gonna catch hell for this! No matter though, personal taste aside, its hard argue against them being the greatest.

----------------

stan krajewski: You have mail

AMBOY DUKES

ANIMALS

ARGENT

BEATLES

BLIND FAITH

BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD

BYRDS

CANNED HEAT

CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY

CHUCK BERRY

CREAM

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL

CROSBY STILLS NASH & YOUNG

DAVID BOWIE

DEEP PURPLE

DOORS

DYLAN

FLAMIN' GROOVIES

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD

JANIS JOPLIN

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE

JETHRO TULL

JIMI HENDRIX

HOLLIES

KING CRIMSON

LED ZEPPELIN

MAMAS AND PAPAS

MOODY BLUES

MOUNTAIN

NIRVANA

PINK FLOYD

PROCOL HARUM

QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE

RADIOHEAD

ROLLING STONES

SANTANA

SAVOY BROWN

SHA-NA-NA

SPENCER DAVIS GROUP

SPIRIT

SPOOKY TOOTH

TEN YEARS AFTER

TRAFFIC

VANILLA FUDGE

VENTURES

WHO

YARDBIRDS

YES

ZAPPA

ZOMBIES

#1 ? ? ?

WHO WAS EVERYONE TRYING TO EMULATE OR SURPASS? ? ?

WILLIE DIXON