Best Rock Band

neo33

----------------

On 6/3/2004 9:07:39 AM dgb wrote:

Led Zeppelin (the 1st album) I must have been an absolute revleation to rock and roll when it debuted. A blistering album.

----------------

IT WAS! I was there!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If nothing else, that alblum has one of the coolest covers of all time. I had a six-foot high poster of that cover in my college apartment. :) Unfortunately some tool destroyed it at a party, and a severe ***-kicking was administered.

----------------

On 6/3/2004 9:20:06 AM picky wrote:

----------------

On 6/3/2004 9:07:39 AM dgb wrote:

Led Zeppelin (the 1st album) I must have been an absolute revleation to rock and roll when it debuted. A blistering album.

----------------

IT WAS! I was there!

----------------

I recall a little band from Memphis, four fellas. Scotty Moore on guitar, DJ Fontana on drums, Bill Black on bass and a singer named Elvis Presley.

Another pretty good Memphis band was Booker T and the MGs.

Fats Domino had an excellent band of New Orleans musicians.

I also rate Credence Clearwater very high. In retrospect one of the most genuine and hardest rocking bands of the era.

I never heard Pink Floyd rock. They're slow and soporific, the farthest thing that comes to my mind when rock and roll music is mentioned. Good pot-smoking music but you can't dance to it.

I think Led Zeppelin was a lousy live band. They couldn't do live what they did on record. I saw them on their first American tour and Vanilla Fudge blew them out of the water.

Personally I think it's no accident that the ascendency of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd coincided with the great increase in the use of downers and "tic" in the early 1970s.

Hmmm....it seems as if there are so many hairs to split here that some of the "knit-pickers" are out in full force trying to draw distinctions:

Best Hard Rock

Best Soft Rock

Best Live

Best Studio

Best Rock & Roll

Best Loft Rock

Best Whatever Rock....blah-blah-blah-blah-blah.....

I believe the original question was: "How about the best rock band of all time?"

....sounds all inclusive to me! There are no wrong answers.

----------------

On 6/3/2004 10:46:37 AM TBrennan wrote:

I recall a little band from Memphis, four fellas. Scotty Moore on guitar, DJ Fontana on drums, Bill Black on bass and a singer named Elvis Presley.

Another pretty good Memphis band was Booker T and the MGs.

Fats Domino had an excellent band of New Orleans musicians.

I also rate Credence Clearwater very high. In retrospect one of the most genuine and hardest rocking bands of the era.

I never heard Pink Floyd rock. They're slow and soporific, the farthest thing that comes to my mind when rock and roll music is mentioned. Good pot-smoking music but you can't dance to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good insight here. I've always judged rock bands by how their music got your head movin'and how well one could dance to it. Dancing with or watching a young lady move to "Green Onions" or "Susie Q" was always one of life's pleasures.

With that in mind, I'll go with Fast Newbie Ctiger2 and say "Ladies and gentlemen...the greatest rock n roll band in the world...The Rolling Stones...The Rolling Stones!"

"The Eagles" No question, know all the songs by heart. DOn Henley, Glenn Frey, Don Felder, Randy Meisner, Bernie Leadon. You can not beat them for knowing what a good lyric was.

Take it Easy

Witchy Woman

Peaceful easy Feeling

Desparado

TeQuila Sunrise

Already Gone

Mydnight Flyer

I had better stop now and tune it in...

My vote goes to......The Moody Blues. They were the originators of 'art rock' or album oriented rock with all their songs flowing together on a central theme. Although the Beatles often get credit for introducing orchestral music into rock with Sgt Peppers, the Moody Blues were actually first with Days of Future Past (which included the epic hit- Nights in White Satin). Also, the Moodies, in addition to being excellent musicians, were not a one man or 'one voice' band. Far from it as all members of the band-Justin Hayward, John Lodge, Ray Thomas, Graham Edge, and Michael Pinder (Pinder through their first 8 albums) contributed both writing songs and lead singing on every album. How many other groups can say that? None that I can think of. Unfortunately, there were a bit ahead of their time in some respects and never quite got their complete due.

Other groups that would rate at the top of my list would be- Pink Floyd, Yes, Kansas, Eagles, and Foreigner. Just my thoughts. Of course, it is all personal preference.

Regards,

Dave

----------------

On 6/3/2004 12:53:19 PM texas42 wrote:

Also, the Moodies, in addition to being excellent musicians, were not a one man or 'one voice' band. Far from it as all members of the band-Justin Hayward, John Lodge, Ray Thomas, Graham Edge, and Michael Pinder (Pinder through their first 8 albums) contributed both writing songs and lead singing on every album. How many other groups can say that? None that I can think of.

----------------

The Grateful Dead.

IMO, Black Sabbath is the greatest rock band of all time. They have it all, meaningful songs, great guitar riff that are as infectious as the plague, pounding drums, punchy bass, great shows, and a hell of a lead singer. Ozzy may not be as nimble as Mick or have the vocals as Roger or Robert, but he has raw emotion that I cannot sense in the rest. He also gives his all ibn every show, even though it doesn't look like much anymore, but when he was younger, he floored them all. Besides, Sabbath is the only band besides The Stones that are still really around today playing live. All you have to do is listen to their "Reunion" album and ask if any "greatest bands of all time" can still do that after 30 years of rocking. I'd say you can count them on one hand. Tony Iommi is also THE most underrated guitarist of all time. Hell, Sabbath are headlining this year's OzzFest. All hail Sabbath11.gif

----------------

On 6/3/2004 3:56:44 PM roadtonowhere08 wrote:

Besides, Sabbath is the only band besides The Stones that are still really around today playing live. All you have to do is listen to their "Reunion" album and ask if any "greatest bands of all time" can still do that after 30 years of rocking. I'd say you can count them on one hand.
11.gif

----------------

That reminds me...The Moody Blues are also still rocking strong going FORTY years AND still playing live. (Days of Future Past orginally came out in 1967). Sad thing is after all the great classic rock bands (Stones, Pink Floyd, etc) are retired/disbanded/dead, etc...there are not a whole lot of GREAT groups that are replacing them...