"MAGIC SPLITTER" QUESTION

picky

I tried this topic over in the Aragon General Questions and got no response, so I'd like to try it here:

Has anyone here bought and tried the Aragon Magic Splitter listed on the Klipsch web site? If so, do you think it's worth the "buck-and-a-half" ($150)? I am considering it to help protect my home's cable/broadband distribution system.

I need to know specifically: Does it allow the broadband carrier to pass through to the cable modem okay? Some coax filters/splitters do not such as Model "DCATV" by Tripp-Lite. Thanks!

magic-splitter.jpg

Colin: I have a really old house (1943) and I've since upgraded all of my coax to quad-sheild. I currently just have a 1 GHz splitter and I am able to run 6 TV sets and a broadband modem without using an boost amplifier. I disconnect the theater lead at the start of electrical storms, but I'd like to protect all of my sets.

According tho the Klipsch site, one must first ensure that the coax cable is correctly grounded (Minimum, 4ft. copper-clad rod) prior to the cable entering the house, which mine is...now. Then the text states:

"a patented design that eliminates ground induced noise and hum from cable TV and outdoor antenna connections to audio/video systems. It accomplishes this by breaking the ground in the cable/antenna line prior to it joining the audio/video system, while maintaining the required ground connection outside the home. Due to its patented design it does all this with virtually no signal loss. MAGIC is housed in a die-cast aluminum box with gold plated F-type connectors. Inside is a double-sided glass epoxy circuit board with over 30 surface mounted components. The design also contains a gas discharge lightning suppressor to protect your home and equipment from local lightning strikes. It will also eliminate static electricity build-up on the cable line, preventing damage to your system at its most vulnerable point.

Another plus of MAGIC is that it can improve the video signal as well. By eliminating the voltage on the cable shield, it can reduce or eliminate hum-bars and background hash, allowing a more three-dimensional video presentation.

The MAGIC Splitter contains a military grade splitter and two individual MAGIC circuits on the output, but you can also choose the MAGIC box with a single output."

So, what's your opinion; Hype or validity?

Ref: http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?Cid=309 then click on "more"

STL: I wish they (Parts Express) gave more information on the item. For one, they do not specify the unit's bandwidth, which is especially important in my installation. Thanks.

That is a three-in one product: surge protector, ground-loop break, and signal splitter. I researched my options once. If you need all three, the price is right, but if you don't, you can save your money.

As a surge protector, its probably not much better than some of the other products on the market (there are many).

The second thing it does, is it elimenates ground loops if they exist, induced by your cable coax connection. An alternative, cheaper product can be found here ...scroll through the entire page.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/iso_aud.html

Do hear some hum coming through your HT if hooked up to your cable system? Then this MAY help. Tracking down ground loops is hard. But it may be caused by your cable connection. Check out Jensens site, they have a white paper that explains why this may happen.If you don't hear hum, or don't see bars on your TV screen, then you are fine.

As for splitters, your requirements may vary based on your cable provider and wether you have digital cable or not. Normal splitters run as high as 800Mhz which is fine for analog signals. With digital cable, the requirements vary by cablesytem provider. Some need to go as high as 1.2 to 2.0 gHz, while with sattelite TV, maybe as high as 3.0 ghz. Check with your provider. If you go to Rat Shack, they carry various splitters, but check for the bandwith. The ones that are wide bandwith are considerably more expensive vs. the simple splitter. I hope this helps.

Picky, if you want more info on the parts express part, give 'em a call and ask for their tech dept. I have done that in the past to ask about motor strength on a particular prosound woofer. 1-800-338-0531

They should be able to give you the bandwidth info, and tell you wether it will work for you, or not.

Michael: As always, thanks man!2.gif

I decided to go ahead and I ordered the one from Aragon. If I don't like it, I'll simply return it. I'll let everyone know what I think when I hook it up.

UPDATE: The splitter arrived today and I discovered the Patent Number is not listed on the unit nor on the packaging or instruction sheet. {Hmmmmm....}

I noted that its' bandwidth is 5 to 1,000 MHz. I connected it up to our distribution system fed from Comcast and the splitter passed the broadband carrier signal to the modem with flying colors. Pictures on all television channels look nice and clear.

Being a splitter...there's not much more to report for now. (boring)! 9.gif

Number 9: You have raised a very good point. In answer to your question, I have Comcast Digital cable coming into our home. This includes HDTV service and High-Speed Broadband service as well. Thus far, the Magic Splitter has caused no noticable issues with any of my cable services. Certainly, any system with a bandwidth greater than 1 GHz would probably suffer if this splitter were used in conjuction with it.

For systems of bandwidth greater than 1 GHz that require lightning suppression, may I suggest they consider the following device in additon to an external grounding system:

http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_mds01.asp It reportedly supports a bandwidth of 300 MHz to 2500 MHz (2.5 GHz). It is made for HAM radio communications equipment. Perhaps, it is adaptable to cable and satellite applications as well? I do not know for sure it it will work, but it may be worth checking into.

I emailed the manufacturer since I didn't see NTVSS2 listed on their website and I got this response:

This product the NexTek PTC-F02, with two of these mounted on a bracket. They are excellent protectors with frequency of 2 GHz, and up to 65 Vdc allowed on the center pin. These are good for video, cable, satellite, or other 75 Ohm cable lines. Please use with RG-6 cable for correct center pin contact. You can also use with a 75 Ohm connector. Make sure to ground the product with the screw/hole in the center of the bracket.

Seems pretty good for 99 cents! I cannot imagine how the "magic splitter" can be 150 times better... ;)

STL: Thanks a lot for chasing down that information for us! Personally, I went with the 150-cent splitter only because I wanted to keep the broadband feed leg of the system separate from the television feed leg. Seems to work great for me thus far. BTW: I understand that the 99-cent variety is currently sold out! I am using RG-6 Quad-Shield on the entire system. It seems odd that the info you were able to get rates the thing at 2 GHz when the info shipped with the units says 1 GHz. (???)

On 6/23/2004 12:44:18 PM picky wrote:

Personally, I went with the 150-cent splitter only because I wanted to keep the broadband feed leg of the system separate from the television feed leg. Seems to work great for me thus far.

I think you meant 15,000-cent not 150-cent.

On 6/23/2004 12:44:18 PM picky wrote:

It seems odd that the info you were able to get rates the thing at 2 GHz when the info shipped with the units says 1 GHz.

When I got mine from Parts express it didn't come with any info -- just the parts in a little plain white box. According to NexTek's website the PTC-F02 does indeed extend out to 2Ghz (see ttp://www.nexteklightning.com/products/ptc_typef.html ).