Solo careers better - or worse?

popbumper

This got me thinking - along the lines of the "band letdown" thread, a number of solo artists emerged over the years, from original groups, and several had good success apart from their bands. Some of these are very obvious, and a few are still around....

>Steve Perry (Journey)

>Phil Collins (Genesis)

>Peter Gabriel (Genesis)

>Sting (The Police)

>Eric Clapton (The Yardbirds?)

>Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)

>John Lennon (Beatles)

>Paul McCartney (Beatles)

>Joe Walsh (Eagles)

>Pete Townsend (The Who)

Then there are those who split off (or went out on their own after disbanding), having some/little success, or their egos went wild...

>David Lee Roth (Van Halen)

>Lou Gramm(Foreigner)

>George Harrison (Beatles)

>Ringo Starr (Beatles)

>Glenn Frey (Eagles)

>Don Henley (Eagles)

>Susanna Hoffs (I think) - (Bangles)

I'm sure there are many more, I'm thinking 70's/80's here....

Popbumper

9.gif

The Beatles may be a bit of model for analysis, and we have to keep in mind what it takes to be a success in pop music.

Lennon and McCartney did the song writing, and probably much of the arrangement in the very early days. Just looking at credits, Ringo and Harrison were probably good buddies, competent musicians, and part of the persona of the crew.

So when the split came about, it only makes sense that John and Paul, alone, had the stuff to continue to make new pop music.

I will add that, IMHO, McCartney is too sacarine and Lennon too harsh. Yet together they moderated each other with good results.

- - - - -

There is probably a lot of those sorts of influences in the rearragements of combinations of teams in bands. Even genius needs synergy, mentors, and talented partners, or even side kicks. The same might be said of sports teams.

- - - - -

Eric Clapton comes to mind. He'd probably say that he is a better player today than when he was with Cream or Blind Faith. Yet Cream had great synergy.

Perhaps it was zeitgeist.

Gil

Gil

Jerry Garcia had a succussful solo career (actually multiple solo careers) while still playing with the Dead. He toured and recorded with the Jerry Garcia Band, toured with his bluegrass band, Old And In The Way, in the summer of '73 which resulted in 3 live recordings, toured and recorded with Merl Saunders, toured and recorded with David Grisman and sat in on quite a few lps from other artists. I'm sure I'm forgetting some also. All this while constantly on the road with the highest grossing touring band of the last 3 decades, The Grateful Dead.

Drugs and cheeseburgers got him in the end but what a run!

You know, I thought Jerry Garcia's career went downhill after Sleepy Hollow Hog Stompers! 9.gif9.gif People find it hard to believe, but he was in a couple of Great Bluegrass bands! Wildwood Boys was his other one that comes to mind.

More on topic for this thread, I never thought Steve Perry sounded any different as a solo act, just Journey without Journey! I liked him either way, though.

As for Joe Walsh, I always considered him a solo act who happened to sit in with the Eagles for a few years! 1.gif

----------------

On 6/5/2004 10:29:50 PM TommyC wrote:

You know, I thought Jerry Garcia's career went downhill after Sleepy Hollow Hog Stompers!
9.gif9.gif
People find it hard to believe, but he was in a couple of Great Bluegrass bands! Wildwood Boys was his other one that comes to mind.

More on topic for this thread, I never thought Steve Perry sounded any different as a solo act, just Journey without Journey! I liked him either way, though.

As for Joe Walsh, I always considered him a solo act who happened to sit in with the Eagles for a few years!
1.gif

----------------

I'm with you regarding Joe Walsh. "So What" was one of my favorite lps when I was a teenager and I was suprised to find out he played with the Eagles every once in a while!