H/K AVR 330 for 2ch audio and HT - good?

meuge

I am thinking of moving into real audio territory after my experiences with the Promedias, the RSX-4s and RB-25s. My budget maxes at about $450 for a receiver/amp combo, so my choices are limited.

I am looking at AVR 330 from H/K, since it has some of the very important options - 7.1 analog inputs, as well as preouts.

My original idea, since I care about surround sound FAR LESS than about 2ch music, was to get a receiver/amp and a pair of RB-25s or maybe RB-25s, and use the preouts to route the low bass and other channels into the promedias for watching DVDs while I acquire the rest of the speakers over the next months (yeah, I know that the speakers don't match, but as long as the volume is even, it'll have to do, since I cannot afford an entire 5.1 set).

I would like to hear your thoughts on this, as well as possible suggestions, keeping in mind that my budget for the entire upgrade is <$700.

Thanks

I see you have the RF-7s and the AVR 335 - is the wattage that thing puts out enough to power those monsters?

I've heard many times that H/K under-rate their wattage, but if 50W is enough to power the RF-7s, it should certainly be powerful enough to drive the RB-25s or RB-35s hehe.

The rb-25s you want are $265, right? Why not get a pair of KG-4s that have dual 8s with a 12 passive radiator in the back? Those have bass down to 36 hz, I think. There is a pair on ebay with a bin of $250. I think they are walnut. I think theyd be better than the 25s. But thats my opinion.

Harman has a very sweet tone. I don't like their quality control, but i do like the sweet sounds it produces. If stereo is your bag. I would go with Harman. Denon is great too. I would look into a reciever with preouts for atleast the two front channels so you could add an amp down the road. So it would be even better for your stereo listening. Although if you go harman you may not need to add an amp. Mine sounds that sweet I don't know about the newer ones. I mean it can always get better, but what's it gonna cost? I read that arcam is really good for two channel playback, nad also. You would have to go used and even then you would be lucky in that price range to get something of that quality used, but it's possible. If you have the patience wait somethin will popup on ebay or audiogon. If you buy used look into rotel,arcam,nad,marantz(maybe new in your price range actually)*, b&K, sherwood newcastle. Musically speaking!