Regular old musicals?

damonrpayne

What musicals do you enjoy?

The London "dream cast" Les Miserables soundtrack is one of my all time favorites to play loud. I've just found a DVD recording of the same cast. Amazon.com makes it too damned easy to go on buying sprees.

Regular ole Opera, though, is still great for me. I have an excellent deutch grammaphon DVD of Die Zauberfloete conducted by Frank Levine. I just watched it Saturday night with my 16 month old. She loves it.

I'm a big fan of Man of La Mancha. Grew up with my dad playing it almost every night. The original broadway cast recording (NOT THE MOVIE!) is fantastic and a great recording. I also own the 2002 revival cast soundtrack (which I took my wife and daughter to see) and it's great too. I do prefer the original though.

Another great recording is Sondheim's "Into The Woods" with Bernadette Peters. I have the lp and the recording is fantastic.

"Hair" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" are winners also.

We listened to "Oklahoma" not long ago and the kids thought it was ok. That's not a bad review coming from them. They especially enjoyed the song "Poor Jud is Dead". The line, "his fingernails have never been so clean" really cracked them up. I asked if they wqnted to listen to "Show Boat" and they both said, "another time maybe". My father loved these old musicals and I enjoy them once in a while as well.

Damn Yankees

Flower Drum Song

Carousel

West Side Story

The King and I

South Pacific