Progressive Help?

HornEd

After having resisted for this long, my HT speaker system now deserves a better progressive scan DVD. It seems that there is a lot going on in new models, etc. and, perhaps, some pitfalls in some of the more economical progressive DVD units... and then there is iScan. Can't really complain about picture quality on the RPHD1080i Mitsu 65"... but I can always tweak, can't I! cwm20.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall II / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-13-2001 at 09:07 AM

I have the DVDO Iscan pro, and it works really well. I brought that and the new Denon 2800 home (both have the same Silicon chipset, which is as good as it gets, and the Denon is the cheapest DVD player to use it) and they both work really well, and are priced similarly. You can't go wrong with either one. I chose the Iscan just because my Hitachi's line doubler isn't that great, and it really improves picture quality with the crappy cable I have in my area. I'm using it with Pioneer's Elite DV-05, a pretty good interlaced player, and I'm really happy with the results.

------------------

RF-3 Mains

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Surrounds (movies)

RB-5 Surrounds (music)

KSW-12 Sub

Parasound AVC-1800

Parasound HCA-1205A

Pioneer Elite DV-05

Denon CDR-1800

Parasound S/PS-140

Hitachi 43FDX01B

DVDO IScan Pro

HornEd,

As you noted, the progressive scan DVD arena has been very active. Prices have plummeted and some very nice models, that were very expensive, have suddenly become very affordable. One model that I have been keeping a close watch on is the Toshiba SD6200. It is a dual disk model (not sure if that is a real plus or not- see http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/dvd/SD6200.html for specs) This unit has MSRP of $1199, but buy prices have fallen to as low as $349. It may be worth consideration.

I am also very unfamiliar with iScan, but since you mentioned it, I did a little looking and came across one interesting review (http://www.audaud.com/audaud/JUN01/EQUIP/equip2JUN01.html) which got me thinking.... Drats! Now the Horn-Ed-One has planted yet another seed in my HTS brain.

• 2 weeks later...

Burch and Boomer, I have been following DVDO with interest, particularly since they have been acquired by Silicon Image just down the freeway a few miles. One of the reasons that I have hesitated to buy the unit is that they do not accept component input... and I did not want to downgrade my component path to composite or s-video inputs.

And, now, thanks to your urging I find they have added the component input to the iScan Pro unit... so now, having been locked in on the product, I am in "shopping mode." While I expect this to be an "interim" buy, I do like the way it provides a better vehicle for many different sources. So far, the best price I have found for the top-of-the-line iScan Pro is $799. Anybody know any better price? Where is T-T-K, the Price Baron of Rolltide, when you need him?

Thanks again, to both of you. I really do appreciate opinions of no-nonsense guys like you. For all my words... I try to be that way too. It is just that "succinct" seems far more abstract a notion than calculus! Confused.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-23-2001 at 05:30 AM