1942 Meets ZZ Top!

picky

OOPS! That should read "1941"! ...my bad! 15.gif

I got a package from Amazon last night (always a good thing!). It contained my shiny, new copies of '1941' (John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd) in widescreen and 'ZZ Top Greatest Hits - The Video Collection' (JUST RELEASED ON DVD). I only had a short time to review them a bit before watching Tampa Bay win the Stanley Cup last night. But, a cursory review of both proved both fruitful and disappointing.

'1941' looked and sounded great, and I can't wait to watch the whole corny 2-1/2 hours of it! I mean that affectionately.

I already own a VHS copy of 'ZZ Top Greatest Hits' and on our new theater system, VHS tapes look mighty poor. So, when I discovered they were finally releasing this 1992 video on DVD I jumped at it thinking the video quality would be much improved. WRONG!!! with the exception of 'Viva Las Vegas' most of the video I checked out was better than the VHS but very grainy. The good part is ZZ Top sounded better than ever. It appears that they did some serious work on the soundtrack and mix ( both DD and DTS). Don't get me wrong, I will still enjoy watching this DVD, but with some disappointment with the video qualty. I realize that ZZ Top is not for everybody (what is?) but I have always loved their blend of Tex-Mex-Blues! 10.gif

Yea, you can't go wrong with ZZ Top. I really like alot of their stuff. Back in the mid 90's I won their whole cd catalog from the local radio station here. I recently purchased their 2003 release "Mescalero". I highly doubt there will be any top ten singles from this album but nevertheless I think it's a good listen.... just more of that grungy bluesy style they do so well.

I absolutely love zztop. Rythymeen is brutally heavy. He runs like 18 fuzzboxes in a line at one time for that tone. Insanity! Just got paid baby! Man I love zz, but let me know when a live concerts happens on dvd. I was on ebay and found one bootleg one. Risky business though.

When I first bought ZZ's Six Pack release I was just glad to have two albums on each disc.I put in the first disc and was instantly amazed at the audio quality.The guys spent some time making sure these recordings were tweeked as much as possible and you can hear the difference from the old albums,great.

I REALLY love the first two tracks on their 'One foot loose in the blues' album ('Brown Sugar' & 'Just got back from baby's')! Worth a listen.

Hallwalker: Thanks for the heads-up! I see they're in Muskegon and Mount Pleasant that week, too. Funny they aren't coming to Detroit this time around. They must be only playing smaller venues, which I hear is their real forte. I doubt I will make it up to see them in Lansing as it's 4th of July Weekend and we already have "obligations".

I too, would love to have a DVD of their concert footage, as I enjoy concerts much more than just "MTV-style" videos. I saw them in Detroit at the Palace of Auburn Hills for their 'Recycler' tour a few years ago. That concert was worthy of a DVD and I'd like to have it for sure! 10.gif