Is this amp okay for new RF7's?

jpm

I just ordered a pair of RF7's from my local dealer, and am trading in my RF35's. I already have a RW12 subwoofer to compliment them in my somewhat bright 16X22 living room. My RF35's sounded awesome before so I'm thinking the 7's are going to be a super upgrade. I realize these aren't LaScallas, or Belles, or KHorns, but I'm not interested enough or willing to spend more on speakers...hence the 7's hopefully will be the end of it. Anyway, my integrated amp is a Denon PMA2000R (not a receiver - paid about $1100 for the amp a few years ago), and my stereo is strictly for music, not HT. Just two speakers and a sub. My amp is 80 a side and seems very clean and nice to my ear. I refuse to get involved with tubes and vinyl etc...not knocking these, just not my bag.

Do you guys and dolls think this will be an adequate amp for these speakers? I'm 51 years old now and not overly interested in blowing out my eardrums. More interested in nice, awesome sound at low to mid volumes with a variety of music CD's (Jazz, Classical, rock, etc...).

Without going to tubes, the most obvious path for possible "improvement" would be to try ss class A. It is likely to be an improvement in detail and ambience. The presentation is likely to be more natural sounding.

There is a very good British amp "Sugden." I would recommend it.

There is also an interesting amp called "Mambo" by Music Hall (which also includes an upsampling audio DAC). This amp is offered by audioadvisor.com under integrated amps. It may be just as good as the Sugden.

Both of these amps cost something over $1K. They are the least expensive new class As I know of.

Leo

Thanks for the replies/advice so far. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't want to spend anymore on an amp for a very miniscular improvement in sound (which my drug induced rock'n roll shot ears probably couldn't discern anyway). If my amp is a turd however, then I'd consider an upgrade. Guess I'll wait and hear. hehehe

I think your Denon will do just fine (I still think your old Klipsch were more than adequate, but you certainly couldn't do worse with the 7s...they're not considered THE Reference for nothing)!

If, after you've auditioned your Denon with your new 7s and it doesn't seem like a good combination sonically, then you may want to consider another classic SS alternative, the Monarchy Audio SM-70. Though I've never heard one, many SS fans on this forum have, and the lucky few who actually own them with their Klipsch swear by their smoothness with their horns. A true Class-A design at only 25 watts per side, more than enough juice to make your 7s sing!

Just my two cents...

Monarchy Audio SM-70 25WPC SS.jpg

Of course, you'll need a preamp then, which will run into more money. So many choices...

post-11084-1381925594813_thumb.jpg

JPM : before you get caught up in the upgrade fever " first " decide on what your current system is lacking " ( to your ears and room ) then start looking for improvements . To simply try and improve for the sake of improving may end up being a step backwards and a total waste of money.

Take it from someone who's been thru 25 or 30 different SS amps .

The Denon will work fine with the RF7's at higher listening levels, it's only at lower listening levels (late night listening for example) the you will find solid state amps like the Denon lack transparency and finess - usually due to switching distortion prevelant in lower cost class AB designs. Now if you didn't want to go tube, I agree with the suggestion of upgrading to 'pure class A' amplification. The Sugden 21A is an absolutely superb amplifier for solid state and has plenty of upgrade options. You can add on another Sugden power amplifier and also add a phono board. It does run very hot though.