Is GeForce3 compatible with THX?

Hello,

I have a GeForce3 card and Santa Cruz Turtle Beach sound card on a Dell Dimension 8100. Dell said they will not sell system's with GeForce3 and THX because they are not compatible. They sell the Harmon Karmon THX system. Not that I am interested in them but I am interested why "no THX".

Is there truth in this statement. Many on Dell's message board are asking and getting no answers. I could use some assurance that this isn't true. I had planned on purchasing the ProMedia 4.1 speakers. But, now with the little tech knowledge that I have I wonder. I hope somebody here know's what's up with this.Textc>

I've never heard of a video card with a THX certification, let alone a card that is compatible with THX. You shouldn't have to worry about this THX compatibility one bit. To me, THX means absolutely nothing. IMO it's just seems like a marketing ploy for Lucasfilm, so people automatically think that something must be good if there's a THX logo on it. I feel so sorry for the people that fall into this marketing trap.

If you want to get the ProMedia 4.1's to go with your GeForce3 and SCTB, then by all means, get them. This THX compatibility seems like absolute bull s**t to me. A GeForce3 with ProMedia's will surely create an ultimate gaming experience.

-Paul

Your right. I was over at Alienware and customized the same system to see if. It showed no problem ordering the two together. And they have lots of post up notes if you order something askew. I don't know what Dell is talking about. Oh well, at least the misinformation got me registered to this new cool message board. Thanks. Onward ho!!!

Paul could not be more right. THX is simply a "standard" that Lucasfilms incorperated to say that if you use this specific epuipment you will be getting the sound that the producer originally intended. Simply put, it doesn't count for SH**!! My home speakers that I spent 5,000 a pair for at cost aren't THX certified but I guarantee they sound a whole hell of a lot better than any Klipsch THX certified home speaker out there. (Sorry guys, still love the Promedias) Smile.gif

So saying that THX speakers will have conflicts with a Ge-force 3 is like saying that your stove won't work if you own a white fridge.

This message has been edited by Tabbycatt on 07-14-2001 at 07:34 AM

In my opinion, THX brings a lot to the game, such as creating minimum performance standards, ensuring compatibility with other gear, and making systems more user friendly, etc.

In the case of Dell, I believe they sell a particular package including DVD player, video card, sound card, and loudspeakers as a THX certified system, which includes the THX speakers.

As such, there is no known compatibility issue with the GeForce and "THX speakers"; but rather the uncertified status of the GeForce if used in that system.

It probably means that it would work fine, but the combination hasn't been submitted for approval.

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

A THX certified setup does absolutely nothing for you unless the hardware involved is THX certified, and the hardware is SETUP in the position that certification directs for that setup.

With speakers like the Klipsch Pro Media's, they may be THX certified, but unless you have those speakers positioned EXACTLY as that certification wants it to be, the THX cert. means nothing.