$8,000 system, suggestions?

schwock5

I am moving in August, and until then, I am able to save up my paychecks without throwing it away on rent (rather i will "throw" it away on useless techno junk 1.gif ), so I can finally build the home theater of my dreams. This is what I was thinking. Also, I will be selling my Denon 3802 reciever, my Klipsch KSW-12 sub, and maybe my Klipsch Quintet system (let me know if anyone is interested). That system is in my bedroom right now, and I will only keep the TV (27 inch analog sony), and cheap sony DVD player for my new bedroom, since I will have a new home theater.

Hitachi 60v500 LCD Projection TV $4,000

Denon 3805 Reciever $1,000

Denon 2900 $1,000

Klipsch RF-35

Klipsch RC-35

Klipsch RS-35

Klipsch RSW-10

Total Speaker Package: $2,000

Total Package ~8,000

I am hesitant on the Denon DVD player, i've heard amazing things about the picture, but i will never listen to SACD or DVD-Audio. Also, the hitachi LCD can be had for about 3,400, + 4 year service plan and tax bringing it to around 4,000. I will be getting digital cable, and mostly watch movies. Any suggestions on where to bargain down prices? I can only go to Circuit City (for the TV), 6th ave electronics (for speakers and other components) or tweeter (for components, no more Klipsch there, or a sony LCD rather than hitachi if they can budge price). Also, interent dealers with warranty honoring and extended warranties for sale are an option. Any input is appreciated or where to purchase, or other components to think about instead of the ones i've chosen.

schwok5,

You have limited your options significantly by limiting the sources for your gear... if it weren't for audiogon.com and ebay, i would have actually had to pay over 13 grand retail for all of my current gear; as it is, I got it all for under 10K...

I would seriously consider separates instead of a receiver; a processor such as the B&K 50 can be had for a steal right now. Five and seven channel amps can be had for well under two grand, if bought used. I am more likely to purchase a used amp than a processor, more chips and parts and all that.

I'm not sure if I could make an all-at-once purchase like the one you are planning... I've been building on the same system for so many years, the upgrades are my complete system (the only components remaining from my original build, an Akai cassette deck and Technics turntable, are tucked away currently, due to space limitations and the lack of a turntable preamp on my HT processor...)

Are you following any suggested allotments from a pubication or audio reviewer for your budget? The reason I ask is that I think I have read articles promoting spending half your budget on the display, as you have mapped out... since my system started out as more of an (evolving into) audiophile music-listening system, my audio gear is more like 80 percent of the total. This is not a suggestion; merely an observation...

Chuckers,

I am not "limiting" my sources on purpose, it is just what is available to me in my location.

I am an avid "ebayer", so ebay is definately not out of line for a source for my equipment. In fact, i look there often for things i am considering. I included that in my reasoning of "online" purchasing, since a lot of online sites give great prices on gear. The price i have listed for the klipsch package, the DVD player, and the reciever are all online prices, and save me a bundle already. I am concerned about online though, as far as warranty honoring and defects.

As to my choices, they are not based on any magazine reviews or "how-to" guides.

For TV:

I was considering a 65" projection TV for ~2500, but realized that for an extra grand, i could get the LCD version for slightly smaller size. That appealed to me, because i play a lot of video games, and "burn in" would be virtually eliminated. So the TV just happens to cost 1/2 of the entire system. My father has 2 hitachi HDTVs, and i know Hitachi makes the parts for a majority of TVs. They have a steller quality and service reputation, and overall i'm just stunned at the image quality from the TVs i have seen from them, besides the fact that they are cheaper than sony,and when the lights are off, you see what's on the screen, not what the cabinet containing it looks like.

For Speakers:

I've owned klipsch before and heard the system i am considering, that's why I am interested in getting it. I listen to a lot of music, mostly off my my computer which is wired to my reciever (my entire CD collection is on there, and i don't download music, i just rip my CDs at 320kpbs). I won't listen to SACD or DVD-Audio because i listen to a lot of underground non-popular music that just would never be released on said format. I love Klipsch, and the Quintet system has served me beyond well in my current set-up, but i will be getting a much larger room, so I wanted to upgrade naturally. The Klipsch 35 series just seemed like the perfect bang-for-your-buck system.

For Reciever:

I have the Denon3802, and it is just amazing, has served all my needs and more, and the sound is incredible for the price. I want to upgrade to the 3805, so i have component up-conversion, since all my video game systems (7 in all) can be wired up through a video game switcher, and then my cable, DVD player, and computer can all run through the reciever and I can have 1 component cable going to the TV, eliminatintg switching on my reciever and my TV, to jsut 1 switch on the reciever. I just loved my denon so much, i figured why not stick to what works, right?

For DVD-Player:

My father also had one of denon's first progressive DVD players, i beleive an $800 one. The video quality was awesome, and i don't know of any others to look for.

I started this thread so I can see other options available to me, so any input would be great as far as other options and places to get them. If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot em over here. I appeciate any help I can get.

how big is the room?

Me?

32/36 HDTV

Xbox for games and DVD (CDs?) on a vibration isolation platform

McIntosh six channel integrated amp

Top of the Reference line, with four RB5s for the sides, and two for the rears

Use two regular Reference 7 models for the fronts

SVS tube sub (http://www.svsubwoofers.com/csultrahome.htm) in front corners

One or two RSW 15 subs

all used, if possible

3.gif

the room is ~ 15 x 19

also, this is what i've calculated so far.

All retail $8326 (no tax or service plans, or bargaining)

All ebay $6615 (no shipping)

All online (3800), no TV online, so assuming retail TV, $7400 all together.

Clearly eBay is the way to go, even after shipping, but is it worth it to get all this equipment off of eBay, given the risks involved?

pick up a denon 3803 for around 600 on audiogon, and try to get yourself into some RF-7's...I also wouldn't discount the denon 1600 as a dvd player if you can find one on the used market, excellent little player. I'm with Prod, anything you can do to steer more funds to speakers, I would think seriously about doing...happy hunting!

the 7 series just seems so expensive. I agree that a cheaper reciever might be the way to go, but is the price difference between a cheaper reciever and the one i've chosen going to cover the price difference between the 35s and 7s? I'm also selling my old reciever and sub to help the cost. I just think going from the 35 series speakers to something like the 7s, even if it's just the front, is a lot of extra dough to shell out. I'd have to listen to them first and see if it's worth the extra cash, though from what I've read on this board, the sound difference between the 7s and 35s is like a rolls royce to a hyundai.

If you just have to buy new go with the 7 series if you can do other wise go HERITAGE. My best friend has the RF,RC,RS 7`s with a Velodyne sub and a great Onkyo H/T receiver. He has more money in the RF 7`s than i have in my LaScala`s, KLF-C7,and Heresy`s put together and i bought the Heresy`s new in the early 80`s. Dont get me wrong they sound great but for my money i will stay with the Heritage Line. Bill

I don't have to buy new, I am fine with buying online, I've just had it ingrained in me that buying retail with service plans is the "appropriate" course of action. I just don't know what to do if speakers blow out and that sort of thing. If it's not that big an issue, i'm all about going eBay all the way, but i want some feedback on online purchasing with no warranty and extended warranty or service plans if i go that route.