The Indy Jazz kitchen Jazz Poet Lady thread

Bam Miller

"Actor, vocalist, writer, mixed media, visual artist, lyricist, storyteller, musician"

Description:

"Readers Theatre performer, writer, and visual artist specializing in jazz poetry and jazz art; illustrator of children's books and other genres"

Affiliations:

"American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers"

"Jazz Blues and Other Hues" The Jazz poetry of Bam "Rebecca Ann" Miller.

This was the poetry read by her with the Jazz group. I felt like the lady understood Jazz,and had a feeling for it. It just didn't work for us or anyone else that night her performing it.

By reading it to us, I felt I was back in Jr High with a music teacher so "Un Hip" trying to convey a pop song to us which she had no clue. Kinda like the "Saturday Night Live" skit with the guy on keyboards and the girl singing it just doesn't work. They are too old, and so out of touch to sing pop songs, it is uncomfortable to even watch or hear.

Kinda like me, at 42, married, and a white guy... thinking I am cool singing a ghetto rap song. NOT!!! (It just doesn't work..lol)

Unfortunantly for us, we missed a real treat with the backup band that night, they are wonderful. This weekend is the IndyJazzFest. The Reverand Marvin Chandler, Jack Gilfoy, Mingo Jones, and David Young are all excellent musicians. Just one weekend later and we really would have been in for a treat. Locals like Cathy Morris and Frankie Glover would, I am sure, wowed everyone even if you were not into Jazz before seeing them, you might be afterwards!

If I do not lose the "Jazz Blues and Other Hues" CD before next year... I will sneek Miss Millers cd into the friday night crowd to give that wonderful Bueberry pre amp and tube amps Craig brought a good test. hahahahahahahaha

It would be worth a good laugh I am sure for about 30 seconds. That is, if everyone does not kill me first!!

By the way, she is a great illustrator artist.... I liked her ink drawings up front. She is also a great organiser in helping to bring Jazz acts to Indy, and supporting them too. I almost do not know if I feel more sorry for myself for saying perhaps bad things about her... I am not trying too. Or for her, by us Klipsch weekenders just not being not "her audience" and walking out. Like it was stated... Fastest group you ever saw leave a club indeed. Personally, we stayed until the first break, trying to be nice and respectful.

In the end, the lady has a CD.. And I bought it, even though I did not know what it was till I popped it into the CD player. I figured maybe she "might you never know" have a good singing voice..

Thats more than I have ever done!

You're up late Roger!

I checked out the posture and facial expressions of what I thought might be regular customers and they seemed slightly uncomfortable but tolerant. As Gary mentioned, we talked to the drummer and he wasn't critical. What the heck, another new experience.

The Jeff Hamilton Trio was in Madison WI on Sunday night. It would only have been another hour and fifteen minute drive. Looks like their off to Europe inthe next week or so.

Guest Anonymous

Well after everyone left the Jazz kitchen,Few of us stayed behind ,the band took a time out,Bass player looked pretty dissapointed he came over to the bar and ordered him self a shooter with a beer chaser...After a half hour or so they were back on stage and guess what!!!! the poetry started again..hahahahaha lucky for us we stayed in the bar aerea and the bartender had the speaker volume lowered,I blocked the whole thing out by watching the drag racing on tv and conversing with few members that stayed behind.Once the Hamilton Trio hit the stage well that was another story the bar speakers came back on and we got to enjoy some first rate Jazz playing the place came alive..I didnt stay for all the sessions was too tired from the night before and all the input from The klipsch tour so I retired back to the Hotel for a good nights rest before my drive back home the next day....Jazz is blue

----------------

On 6/15/2004 2:18:50 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

By the way, she is a great illustrator artist.... I liked her ink drawings up front. She is also a great organiser in helping to bring Jazz acts to Indy, and supporting them too. I almost do not know if I feel more sorry for myself for saying perhaps bad things about her... I am not trying too. Or for her, by us Klipsch weekenders just not being not "her audience" and walking out. Like it was stated... Fastest group you ever saw leave a club indeed. Personally, we stayed until the first break, trying to be nice and respectful.

----------------

After reading your post, I can agree with this sentiment. It may be that she really is a talented artist and appears to be from the description that you provided. Unfortunatly, this attempt at art just simply did not work. I guess every artist will have that one occasional work that just simply does not work, regardless of how well intentened it was. To bad it had to be "our" night that she choose to do this 14.gif