recommendations on TVs (not Klipsch)

nuclearay

This is a topic distinctly not Klipsch, however, since y'all were smart enough to buy Klipsch I hold your opinions in the highest regard... 12.gif Therefore I think this applies here.

...and I wish to hear some opinions!

I finally ended up with the RF7s, RC7, and a pair of RS7s... the sub will come (much) later. The sound deparment is taken care of for now.

Right now I need a TV.

I am looking for rearprojectionHD bang for your buck under $2k.

I have been shopping at the local Best/Circuit/whatnots have found:

Hitatchi Ultavision 51" ($2000)

Mitsubishi WS55315 55" ($1800)

I am really going for picture quality first and then size second, but most importantly I am really to lazy to sit in the store adjusting settings to match my living room and would rather confer with the wisest group of audiophiles in the nation. 16.gif

I bought a Hitachi Ultravision 51SWX20B last year. Around Xmas, it developed a problem where it flickers during darker scenes and it will get squiggly at the edges during bright scenes.

Noticed that I used the present tense. I've been trying to get it fixed for 5 months, but my local "service" center has been atrocious! For example, they were supposed to pick my TV up today. They didn't show and they never called!

Before you buy, make sure you know who will be working on the TV (if it breaks) and find out what kind of track record they have. If you have a problem, start a log of everything you do to get the TV fixed. Hopefully, you won't need it.

The picture is great on my Hitachi, but I can't watch much of anything without the flicker issue irritating the crap out of me!

Jeff

I have a 50" Mitsubishi and the picture is great. Even sittng at an angle you can still see the quality.

My advice is to check out several TV's like you have been doing. View the picture from different angles if you will have people sitting at an angle to the TV. Then buy the one that you like the best which meets your price range.

Well you picked two good TV's, although with Father's Day here you may be able to get some deals. Tweeter, Boscov's etc... have advertised the Mitsu 55413 in your range. I personally have this TV, and if your room can support the TV definately two thumbs up. The 55413 is the best Mitsu without its own internal HD tuner. If your cable or satellite provider already offers the tuner than your set.

The 55313 carried at BB and others does not offer NetCommand for learing remotes or more importantly in my opinion QuadField Focus, EDF lenses, Defeatable DefinEdge VSM. If you want HD you also want clarity and detail. Shop around you may be surprised, snag the 55413(or 48413 depending on room size).

I also have a 43UWX Hitachi(unfortunately they don't make the 43" UWX version anymore, same guns as the big boys but painting a smaller screen) which is ideal for the room its in(about 14x20). Any bigger and the TV would overwhelm the room IMO. The Hitachi 57S500(or 51S500) are also very good choices. Really just depends on the deal you can get. IMPORTANT - What size room?

Since I have experience with both TV brand's maybe I can help. Bounce questions I'll see what I can answer for you. I've helped friends select either brand, let me know what deals you can get in your area - I'll try and help. :o)

Cliff Notes -

Hitachi Ultravision - vertical wash is better, color is slightly better as the angle increases(looking down at the TV). As long as your not watching TV from your ladder or stadium seating(Hehe) you should be fine. Horizontal wash both TV's rock as you can sit way to the side and there is no wash. Outstanding compared to other brands.

Mitsubishi 55413 - Blacks seem true'r which makes definition slightly enhanced. The Hitachi has menu options for black/contrast enhancement that gets the contrast pretty close.

All and all I would say the 55413(or 48413) Mitsu series is very compatible with the Hitach Ultravision. The differences are so minor that if I did not have them both I would not know the difference. Between the 55313(or 48313) and the Hitachi Ultra's I would go Hitachi.

I've been told I over research way too much, if my journey's can help let me know. My friends just ask what I've bought and don't look around - they know I've spent weeks disecting every nuance. OCD I guess. :o)

I had a Mitsubishi 35" direct view for years before the picture started getting darker, I had to turn up the brightness and contrast. I called a Sears service tech and he charged me $70 to tell me the tube was going bad. I gave it to my sister and bought a Toshiba. She called another service tech and he adjusted it for her and it's still going strong. The moral; Mitsubishi make great TV's and Sears techs are morons.

RRRush you are just the type of guy I was hoping would reply.9.gif

And thanks to the others for the input as well.

The overall room measurements are 13'wide x 26'long x 12'ceilings. The TV will be going on the 13'wide portion of the room and the "sweet spot" on the couch will be about 12-14' from the TV screen. I think the room will be able to handle any size TV (plus the RF7s on the side), just affording the larger sets will be the issue at hand.

I have been also perusing other forums to see what service issues lurk with each brand. The Hitatchis seem to have a 'flickering-screen' bug while the Mitsu's don't seem to have many problems, but when they do it is near impossible to get serviced. Which brings about another point of purchasing the dreaded store warranties?! For a big ticket item such as this I am starting to favor the warranty.

I am using Dishnetwork now and I can foresee using a HD reciever in the near future. My coworker just got HD cable and I am floored by how it looks.

The Mitsu I saw in BB looked like crap, but I know this was due to the in store conditions... My dad has a 48" Mitsu and looks OUTSTANDING. The CC Hit.Ultravision sitting in the store looked quite tasty I must say. I still need to hit the Sam's and Costco just to see what is out there, but I am doubtful I will find something that looks quite as good for the price range. Hell, the MegaLo-Mart up the street now has 42" plasmas for $2200. I have seen a few 65" TVs in the Sunday circulars for cheap (about $1400)... my guess is that these would be fantastic to watch if I had glaucoma or cataracts.14.gif

I'm going to hit the stores hard this weekend to see what is really out there and report back again.

nuclearay

If you are 12 - 14' away and want to stick around 2k I would recommend trying to compare the following - Mitsu 48413(NOT 48313) or the Hitachi 51S500, you can go bigger but believe it or not there is such a thing as too big if you care about clarity based on how close you are to the TV.

Some URL's -

Hitachi $1799 ($200 off) - http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&qp=0051905370734&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=74886&catoid=-8041&m=0

Mitsu - I think Tweeter had it for $1499 this week, $500 off. They don't list it online. Do you have a Tweeter locally?

Here's my two cents from experience -

Room dimensions 14' x 20' sitting position approximately 14'. The 43" fits the room perfectly, so bright I can't watch it with the lights off withoug glowing. My sitting position with the 55 Mitsu is about 17' - 18' and works really well but the room is much wider. The 55 would be overwhelming in the spot where I have my 43, likewise the 43 would not be as impressive where the 55 is located.

OK, Clarity. I've had HD for two years now. Its down right impressive on the 43", normal(non HD) TV is clean(not grainy). My kitchen backs up to the room and I can watch clearly from 27' away and the screen is outstanding(can clearly tell if the ladies think its too cold on camera, boink cutting glass). Now the 55" looks great from all distances, especially from 15'+. Its a monster, beware swell factor they don't seem THAT big in the store(once you enter the front door, vavooom). For normal TV(non HD) the screen appears a little less crisp then the 43" but that is 480i spread wider on a bigger screen(to be expected but thought you should be aware of it if not already, if I didn't have them so close to compare I would not notice. I would not sweat it either way, but a heads up). In HD the 55", I watched the playoff game and I wanted to block Shaq's shot during the game myself. Throw a fro' on me and a headband, Ben Wallace sending the ball to the third row of seats. OM. Flap, flap. The 43" is beautiful, the 55" in HD was....(words can't do it justice). So I guess based on experience, both TV's rock in their own realm/room. Size DOES matter, don't let anyone fool you. Too much size can be bad unless you are going for the impression or bragging rights. Based on your room I would start on the 48 - 51's and decide on bigger or smaller. Unfortunately the sub-48's that Hitachi makes are not the same caliber they were when I got mine 2 years ago. The UWX(Ultravision) 43 was replaced by a lower model, very unfortunate. Mitsu makes a 42 that may be cool, but if I were choosing right now based on whats available and your seating position I would try and score the Mitsu 48413(1499), then the Hitachi 51S500. Save the balance of the 2k for more audio toys or cables. :o) A friend of mine went with the 51S500 when CC had a really good deal on it and she loves it.

Both have DVI, Mitsu clearly states in its manual that it recommends component inputs over the DVI interface unless using their tuner with RS232 controller. I've heard mixed opinions on DVI, both TV's listed here have it. I use component ONLY for both. I've seen DVI make a difference on LCD's personally, supposedly plasma too. Don't think you can go wrong with either, just comes down to $$(best deal). DVI cables are $$, I would start component cables then decide. Let me know how you make out. :o)

Hitachi does make nice tv's. But I have had no problems with Mitsu's. As for buying in a store, you want to make sure its in a dark setting. Bright light will make a big effect on how everything looks. Also pay GOOD attention to the RETURN POLICY. Sometimes that is a good reason to buy from a particular store; because not all stores carry the same brands. Life of a tv is rated in hours, so a plasma is a waste unless you have the money. Manufacturers expect to have at least one to a few pixels to be dead(just hope its not in the middle). Sometimes you just might want to save up a little more for a higher model tv. Usually you get what you pay for. My suggestion would be the Mitsu. But maybe save just a bit more to get a higher model. Also, STAY AWAY from floor models and open box items. They have been on for 14-16 hrs a day. Also look into maybe lcd or dlp?..or are they too expensive.

I love my Hitachi....61"..bought from AVMAN stores 2 years ago....

SAME AWESOME PICTURE....incredible price.....but man was that thing a bear to get out of the truck and into the house....took 4 people...

I have had no problems with my TV other then my fat butt sitting in front of it too long watching DVD movies.....

Do check out the REMOTE CONTROL of the one you buy....and play with it before buying...this is the one thing you will use a lot so get one that fits the hand and has buttons where you like them...I am serious...nothing like a crappy Remote control to make you hate something.....

I have owned a Sony 53" XBR RPTV for 10 years come this Otober. Only you could be the judge of the picture quality now but to me it still has a great picture, all things considered. I personally prefer Sony tv products.

That dealer in Meridian had Mit, Elite, Sony, and more last tme I was there. Might be worth the drive to compare if you're going to spend lots of cash Ray. Good luck with your decision.

Keith