A couple of corners and a pair of KHorns

consistent

Thanks Gents,

Yes, my wait 'from Hope to West Australia' was about 7 weeks. PWK must have know I was hanging out for these and maybe sent a bolt or two from above! (He did write me once in response to a Q I had with my Forte's back in '92).

I'll be back in due course with some updates and some Q's to help with my room set-up.

Thanks for the pictures. That's the first time I have seen the Khorn's from the rear. Now I understand the need to back them securely into a corner. It's given me food for thought in my choice between Belles and Khorn's. I find your choice of Cyrus electronics interesting. I thought they tended to be on the lean side of neutral - but obviously this would be heavily influenced by room acoustics.

Hi Edwin,

I guess you could say that everything you stick in your room will be 'room sensitive'. Cyrus, I found to be ultra dynamic and very much 3D in positioning on all planes. I understand they do a lot with psychoacoustics. The latest version of their players have met with mixed reactions but for me, after auditioning many different types, I found they a are great match for my demands with dynamics in a room, hence the KHorns.

Agree, but no plants. It is a room 'without a life' at the moment. Without all that crap the room, it rings like a bell, but I have some ideas and when i am finished I expect it will look a little different. I'll continue to drag in bits n pieces and get an understanding of accoustic properties.

Bye for now

...and speaking of room acoustics, I would imagine that any room that size with Khorn's in the corners, and the lucky victim sitting at the triangle listening apex, there would be no need for a centre or surrounds for home theatre. It would have to be audio nirvana. You would be part of the movie, not merely an observer!

By the way I'm a big 2 channel home theatre fan. I'm always moving my speakers around aiming to reproduce the so called 5.1 experience with 2 speakers. I tried 5.1 (with all Klipsch gear) a couple of years ago and I wasn't impressed. I kept the speakers - great stuff but got rid of the rest.

Guys I can tell you that you do not need 5.1 plus in this room! You are THERE! I am a 2 channel freak and with the right speakers 5.1 is an unecessary expense. A big room maybe yes. The Mirage OM6 speakers are unreal in theatre, the room buzzes but just don't have the fullness. The Khorns have that fullness and believe it or not with the AK4, I am getting more front to back than I thought possible with a corner config. Again I think the room assists, but at a price. I need to fix the 85hz to 242hz problem, so I am going back in, wish me luck!

We have a bit of a room problem here, too. Our listening room is upstairs on a wooden (but with carpet and pad)suspended floor, and the K-horns are able to energize the room at certain frequencies, causing just a mild but not too bad of a boominess. I had the idea yesterday of cutting tennis balls in half and putting three or four halves underneath the speaker. They'll compress, and hopefully provide some additional isolation. I have no idea how this will work, but it might be worth a try.

Sounds like you're having fun!

Erik

Hi Erik, yeah I am having fun but the wife thinks I'm mad and the kids know I am. Tennis balls is an intersting concept for speakers. I use them underneath the big amp I have and squash balls under my turntable and CD/DVD player. They do cause some interference with boominess and I have found them to be successfull. You may need a half a dozen or so underneath each box but I think the concept deserves a try out.

----------------

On 6/17/2004 11:08:51 PM paulparrot wrote:

Edwin,

Too bad you didn't have a better multichannel experience. Personally, I like 5 channels for music much more than 5 channels for movies.

----------------

No, Paul, I was very disappointed. But like Consistent I will be able experince a very similar audio and video exoerince with 2 channel only. Once I change to the Heritage 2 channel system and sort out my 2 channel amplification, I won't leave my head in the sand. I will then be willing to consider the Heritage multi channel option just as you have done. Perhaps by the time I'm ready to give multi channel another chance, the DVD/A and SACD camps will have sorted themselves out.

----------------

On 6/21/2004 3:21:43 AM edwinr wrote:

Perhaps by the time I'm ready to give multi channel another chance, the DVD/A and SACD camps will have sorted themselves out.

----------------

Competing formats do not sort themselves out. Consumers do that. If you don't make your choice known by buying one format or the other (or both), you are letting others decide for you.