Advice on getting a DVD player

belial

I returned the $200 Sony DVD player I had because I wanted to check out the Playstation 2, both for games and for DVDs ... it's okay, about the same as the player I returned, but it got me thinking ... How much of a difference in picture and sound quality is there between DVD players? I don't mean the difference between a player for $1000 and one for $300, I mean for say, all players in the $500 and under price range ...

Is there a good place on the net for DVD player reviews?

In buying a DVD player, what do you think I should look for?

I would like to add another question to the thread...

If you don't have a HDTV and not planning on buying one for at least 5 years or until they get cheaper, is there any reason to spend the extra $100+ to get progressive scan?

Also, I feel certain that when HDTV prices get lower and technology goes up, I'm sure that DVD technology and prices will also follow suit.

Scott

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - Academy (Black)

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

This message has been edited by Tenhet on 07-15-2001 at 08:53 PM

I'm kinda itchy myself. However, I'll need the screen to appreciate the DVD. Therefore I'm forced to wait for both the player and screen price to come down a bit. Maybe a new receiver and speakers too.

One driving point is some excellent pictures I've seen at Tweeters and the Sony showroom where a progressive scan DVD player is used.

The prices seem to really be coming down fast. One guess is that there will be a new generation for Christmas. But when to pull the trigger on a big investment. I just don't know.

On the other hand, it looks to me that if there is one interem purchase possible, the DVD player is it. If progressive scan is just 20 percent more, I'd go for it without hesitation.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 07-15-2001 at 08:45 PM

This is a quote taken from the Crutchfield website.

"Progressive scan-Instead of splitting each video frame into two sequential fields like interlaced scan, progressive scan displays the entire frame in a single sweep. So, where a standard DVD player's 480i output displays 30 frames (60 fields) per second, a progressive-scan player's 480p output displays 60 full frames per second. Progressive-scan picture quality is more filmlike, with more fine detail and less flicker. Progressive-scan viewing requires an "HDTV-ready" TV"

So, am I correct in assuming that if I/we do no own a HTDV-ready TV and are not planning on getting one anytime soon then there is no need to get a DVD player with this option? Basically, I would be wasting $100+ that I could be putting toward a Sony Wega.

Scott

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - Academy (Black)

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

It's funny reading this because I was just at goodguys looking for a proggresive scan DVD to go with my Sony Wega. Unfortunetly the salesperson told me a progressive scan DVD would do me no good unless I had the XBR model.

At first I was upset that I wasnt able to upgrade but then I realized now I have extra money to get me a real nice sub instead. I'm going to stick with the Wega and my $300 Sony DVD until the HD widescreen's are under $1500. It might be a while but i'm happy with what I got for now.

Sony Wega 36" flat screen

Sony DTS DVD player

Sony HI-FI VCR

Harman Kardon AVR 65

Klipsch KG 5.2 mains

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Klipsch KG 2.2 rear's

Can anyone give me some advise on a good sub under $500.00

There is going to be a whole influx of players this fall that will be well under the $500 mark that will bring some previously expensive high-end features with them. Toshiba will have a $400 progressive scan, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video player. Sony will have the same except theirs will have SACD instead of DVD-Audio. If you don't have a HDTV and you have a newer monitor you may want to go without the progressive scan feature, but the upgrade is getting very cheap. It kind of reminds me of the 2-head vs. 4-head VCR upgrade during the 80's and early 90's. There used to be a huge price difference, now I don't think you can find a 2-head VCR. I think the last VCR I bought on UBid for $60 delivered, has 6-heads and a whole bunch of other options my $350 Hitachi ('93) doesn't have.

Happy hunting!!

JT

If you want enhancement at a reasonable cost, go with a line doubler add on for your DVD. If you have a S-VHS tape, added bonus, as it improves that signal as well. If you have digital cable or sat dish it improves that also. More bang for your buck, 3 for 1 Smile.gif Not the same quality as Pro Scan, but it improves the all around picture dramatically for all those formats at a fraction of the cost(DVDO Iscan V2 around $400-450 US). Try these sites out for more info on line doublers vs progressive scan.

http://www.dvdo.com

http://www.princetongraphics.com

http://www.focusinfo.com

http://www.hometheaterforum.com

http://www.hometheatertalk.com

my HT "Still Under Construction Smash.gif "

OIled Oak Khorns(f)

La Scala's(rs)(sometime this year I hope Sleep.gif )

Oiled Oak Hersey II's(s)

2-KLFC7's(c, rc)

Adcom ACE-515 Enhancer(conditioner\surge protect)

Marantz SR18EX A\V Receiver

3-Marantz MA700 mono block amps (Khorns, rc)

Marantz VM5100 S-VHS hifi

Marantz DV7100 Progressive Scan DVD(upgraded from DV3100)

Marantz CD4050 dual casette

Marantz DR4160 3 disk carousel with single tray CDR

Toshiba 50HX70 HDTV

DVDO Iscan V2(line doubler)

all Monster speaker\video\digital cables

and my new "Crown Jewel" to my Marantz system, in mint condition(manuals and schematics as well), the "1976 Marantz 6200" turntable. Got to love Garage Sales, especially the ones when buddy has forgotten about what he's had in his attic for the last 24 years, you want 20 bucks you say Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 07-18-2001 at 02:24 AM