RF 5

big c

I have a quick question, right now I have rp3s at front with no separate sub woofer. I can get the rf5 and the rsw10 for a good price. Would that be a big improvement over my rp3s with their built in subs i hope I make sense.

IMO it is a definite move up above subwoofer frequencies. It would be better to go with the RSW-12 if you can swing it.

It is better to have a separate subwoofer. The best place for a sub is not the best place for full range speakers usually.

Bill

Ok now that i got the sub part out of the way, what about the rf5 vs the rp3s. One more question for about the same i can get the rb75 which is has been advertised as the rf7's little brother. how does the rf5 stacks to the rb75?

I would have to respectfully disagree with Juba on this one. Any reviews that I have seen on the RB-75s have not been mixed, so long as you plan on running the speakers with a nice sub, and the RSW-10 qualifies well enough. In fact, I recall seeing a thread in this forum detailing a recent review of speakers by Lou Reed. He reviewed Klipsch RB-75s along with pairs of much more expensive speakers and came away being very, very impressed with the Klipsch. Actually, he used much more colorful terms that that, but to avoid the risk of being inaccurate, I think I'll wait until I find the thread.

To me, when I first started upgrading, it came down to building from the new center outwards, since the center carries so much of the load with H/T. Obviously, going with a RF-7, RC-7 front array would be preferred. However, going with RB-75s, and a sub, would be a nice second option because it gets you into the improved horns. That way, you could run a RC-7, and not have concerns about your front three not matching sonically. And then.....you could later upgrade by going to RF-7s, and move the RB-75s to the surrounds. That was my original plan, and it has worked.

As for the sound of the RB-75s, I have been very impressed with the sound of mine. To me, the horn is a significant upgrade over the horn found in the RF-5s, and the speaker can handle everything you throw at it, even at high volume levels. My only caveat would be to plan on running RB-75s on very heavy-duty stands and use foam isolators between the speakers and the stands (Auralex makes some nice, inexpensive foam inserts).

Carl.

P.S. The RB-75s also have wood finish, not vinyl, as do the RF-7s and RF-5s.

juba is right, i have the 5's in house currently, and did look at all the rb's when i auditioned from the 3's to the 7's all in comparison had smaller more limitred dynamics, they just sound smaller, but this is due to cabinet size, this is another case of spek and actual performance just dont match12.gif

Marksdad:

Of course the RF-5s sound larger than the RB-75s due to the differences in cabinet size. However, the one advantage of an RB-75 is the almost identical matching of its horns with a RC-7. While a RB-75 and a RC-7 run a different model 1.75 inch compression driver, in my experience, they voice match.

You have more experience with RF-5s than the limited times I have heard them. When he upgrades his center, which he probably will, would RF-5s make a close enough of a match with a RC7 so that he would be happy with that front three? Does that particular 1 inch compression driver from the RF-5 voice match the larger horn from the RC-7?

If so, he could certainly get a larger sound for less than saddling up for some RF-7s (which would still be my ultimate recommendation). The question is, how is the match? I have only heard RF-5s run separately and have never heard them with a RC-7.

The bottom line is that he needs to hear the speakers (RF-5 or RB-75) before making a purchase. The trouble might be that local authorized dealers do not stock the RF-5 or RB-75 as much as some other reference models (RC-7,RF-7s and various reference thirty-fives).

Carl.

Ok I got the rf5 and the rw12 even after all of you guys opinions which were very helpfull I just did not like the rsw10 performance plus it was a return and was a little beatup on top. Review system denon 4802r denon 2900. rf7 were just to big for my set up. I got every thing for $2000 out the door no interest for 36 months. You guys think is a good deal.