Nice Moondogs on Audiogon

Guy Landau

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wright 2A3 amplifiers are also outstanding amps (IMO!)and would come factory-built. Moondogs can look awesome on the outside, since Welborne Labs goes the extra mile with the aesthetic aspect, but I have seen some examples of the amp that were very uncomplimentary in terms of the wiring. The Moondogs were sold mainly as kits, and so it might be prudent to inquire about the build quality before making the investment.

Guy, you're reading more into my post than what's there. I have Moondogs myself, and I won't part with them -- evidently, other people are willing to do so. I'd sell my own amplifiers before I sold those. I never 'generalized' about anything. The Moondogs a very good SET amplifiers, and I know of cases where both the Wright and Moondog were compared side-by-side, and many some preferred the Wrights, others the Moondogs.

Would you purchase an amplifier that more often than not was sold as a kit -- without wanting to find out at least something about the quality of the wiring job? I certainly would not. There may be people who are only familiar with the Moondog name, and not realize that there is a possibility that it was someone's respectable but possibly very first project. You're right. I have seen the insides of some Moondogs that looked very poor; and that is the single reason I am bringing up the very important issue of build-quality. Have you seen the inside of these amplifiers, and would you be willing to buy them for $1.5K without seeing or knowing anything about a potentially questionable construction job? I don't think there's anything wrong with making a prospective buyer aware of the fact that they may be purchasing someone's very first attempt at electronics work.

This may not at all be the case with the amps in question, but I would think anyone contemplating that kind of investment would want to find out some of the history behind the component. I know I would.

Edit: My fault! I did not see where Guy indicated that the wiring on this amp was shown in the Audiogon listing. My apologies, Guy! I am sorry! As mentioned below, they really do look to be very well done throughout. Those teflon sockets seem to have differing opinions, but if they loosen up with use, they can always be retensioned. Again, my mistake, they look to be really well-built. One of the transformers may be from MagneQuest, which is what Ron Welborne was using before he started using Electra-Print power and output transformers.

The seller has a picture of the Moondogs in his ad, and in my opinion look very well put together. The filter capacitor in the 6.3 volt rectifier is not the kind usually sold with the kit, but everything else looks to be in great shape. I can't see the soldering work, but the layout is well done; all AC wiring is twisted to minimize hum (I have seen a few Moondogs where none of the AC wiring was twisted -- twisting AC pairs is fairly common practice and is also included in the directions in the Moondog assembly manaul).

These look to be very good Moondogs!

Here it is a brightened so that you can see the details better. The connection from the driver to the board, under the cathode wires, to the coupling cap, to another board to the cathode of the 2A3, is that the normal way these are wired? why?

mdogbot.jpg

Rick

post-12829-1381925609081_thumb.jpg

Erik,

Download the image to your "My Pictures" file; open your photo program; open the photo; click on image(on MGI Photosuite that I use it maybe edit on others); click on brightness and adjust until you are happy; then resave the file. Not hard really, if I can do it I know that you can!2.gif

Rick

Neo: That's sounds like something that would be just right for me! Is that something that really exists? It would be helpful for me to know how to do for school related things, as well. My students taught me how to 'copy and paste' just this school year! Tell me that's not pathetic!? Actually, those kids help me with all kinds of computer-related stuff. My problem is that every year the new and latest version of Gradebook, lessonplanning.....whatever, comes out and I have to figure things out all over again.

Rick:Erik,

Download the image to your "My Pictures" file; open your photo program; open the photo; click on image(on MGI Photosuite that I use it maybe edit on others); click on brightness and adjust until you are happy; then resave the file.

6.gif What does all of that mean!? What's 'MGI Photosuite'?

"Neo: That's sounds like something that would be just right for me! Is that something that really exists? It would be helpful for me to know how to do for school related things, as well. My students taught me how to 'copy and paste' just this school year! Tell me that's not pathetic!? Actually, those kids help me with all kinds of computer-related stuff. My problem is that every year the new and latest version of Gradebook, lessonplanning.....whatever, comes out and I have to figure things out all over again."

Erik, you're being TOO HUMBLE! I can learn a lots from you.