Why own Klipschorns? Here's why I do

Parrot

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have never heard a set of nautilus 801`s. Find some and listen, you have never imagined music will do what youll hear. It is like going to a NHRA top fuel meet for the first time. You cant compare a 1953 Harley to a new v-rod in performance.Simmilar compareson.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++===

I have heard 801 and 802 and 805.

I actually liked the 802 better than the 801. Faster mid bass; but still a bit sluggish.

The RF-7 in the same room was much better on complex dynamics as in Holst "The Planets".

K horns were not in the room.

B&W Nautilis line arew only friendly with the best SS AMPS.

I could have Khorns and a nice vintage PP tube amp for less than the price of a 250 wpc KRELL amp itself.

"No Tbrennan I meant exactly what I said. Unlike you.

I own Klipsch speakers now and I've owned several sets in the past. I come here to talk horns with other hornys."

I doubt that you own any Klipsch speakers. Your sole purpose here is to provoke. BTW, ladies don't use vulgar language and they don't troll! Get it!

----------------

On 6/21/2004 5:26:06 PM tubelover wrote:

TBrennan, nothing personal and no offense, but why do you bother hanging around the Klipsch BB's? I mean really? All you seem to do is bash Klipsch. WTF? You sound like a broken record with the constant Edgar, JBL, Altec, Tannoy, Jensen etc., etc., etc. promos.

----------------

Tubelover poses some good questions, bless her heart. Tom, nothing at all wrong with you having other speaker preferences than Klipsch (even though you've gotten rid of 100 different killer speakers and now listen to Heresies). But the harping about Edgar, JBL, etc. is pretty much trolling. Any difference between that and going to a Chevy forum and saying Fords are better? And justifying it by saying that we're discussing cars, and Fords are cars too?

I think I met Kurt. Was he at the Lima conventions?

"Even Trinity swears."

Trinity is an exception. Trinity and Neo are one and the same!

My point is tubelover is a female-wannabe (read transvestite). Maybe he can't stand being a male with his "soft" side. LOL.

Paul---We were discussing objective qaulities of loudspeakers. Had you been correct, objectively, I'd have had nothing to say. Note that I haven't argued with your preference, which is a subjective quality of loudspeakers. I don't think I ever rap a fella's subjective view of speakers, I've even eased up on the RFs. But I do enjoy talking about how horns work and what certain horns and drivers can do, or might do. Discussing possibilities is good.

Do you think it's wrong of me to tell a fella who complains about "earwire" from his LSs that I've alleviated that problem by substituting a different mid horn for the stock one?

If all the fellas that post here and use horns other than Klipsch go away it'll be a pretty boring place. You'd be getting rid of some of the most technically astute people on this forum. I don't think it would be very interesting for a bunch of fellas to sit around and pat each other on the back. And kinda isolated.

And I strongly maintain that the Heresey is the finest speaker ever made of it's size. I'd say that's pretty strong praise of a Klipsch product, don't you?

Well anyway I come here to talk horns and I've had interesting discussions with many here. I enjoy that Paul, doncha think I should?

Kurt was at both Lima fests, yes.

"And I strongly maintain that the Heresey is the finest speaker ever made of it's size."

I disagree there. IMO, the Cornwall is THE finest heritage speakers Klipsch ever made and they are suitable for ALL tube amplification.

Tubelover...Said,

"I notice in your system profile that you do not own Edgarhorns. That pretty much says it all."

===============================================

I did not think or say they sucked...they were very good. Just not my cup of tea is all. We all hear things differently as I said would be boring if there was only one speaker accepted as the only one to liten to anything audio wise. I happen to think the K horns in a room appropriate for them, sound better. But like I said, to each his... or in your case her, own.

And just because I do not own them at this time does not mean I, (1) may have in the past... or (2) have heard many of Dr Edgar's speakers over time, and know what I am talking about too. Seeing how you never cared to ask, how would you know?

Last, just because I have never driven a Formula One car does that mean also I can't appreciate it, too, as well? It seems your very closed minded yourself. THAT pretty much sais it all to me.

At preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas, I learned that, surprise!, the classic Klipsch corner Khorns is NOT the end all or be all of horns, in fact the best sounding value for the money seems to be some combination of the three competitors: JBL, Altec and Klipsch.

Since there is no democracy without dissent, I appreciate and learn from Toms unique and experienced point of view. It is his polite education that makes this forum so valuable.

I heard B&W 801, 802 and 803 on monstrous Krell monoblocks and Pass Laboratories Supersymmetry Balanced Single-Ended Class-A, over the years in Tweeter/Sound Advices showrooms. (http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/archives/)

Their exposed tweeter cone, solid cabinetry and taut mid-bass with massive buck concrete amplifiers is close to audio nirvana for solid-state amplifiers with cone drivers. They have few of the problems that plague big ole horns.

For tweaking audiophiles who have more money than passion for their hobby, I recommend shiny new red Vette wedges and B&Ws, with massive power amplifiers. For those of us who drive along the winding roads of music with more practical flair, I recommend used MGs, 70s muscle cars, refurbished 50s hot rods and big ole horns with tubes.

Tom, you do seem to love whatever it is that you have now, I know because the classic Klipsch corner Khorns is the finest loudspeaker of its size!

Stereos, I tell the boys wooing girls into their dorm rooms late at night, for a little Marvin Gaying or Barry Whiting, have everything to do with sex

3.gif

Stereos, I tell the boys wooing girls into their dorm rooms late at night, for a little Marvin Gaying or Barry Whiting, have everything to do with sex

You know it still works after your married too. hehehehehe Somehow the classics from Frank Sinatra to Frankie Beverly and Maze are not even I am sure known by todays college youth.

I just wonder how Eminems will the real slim shadey please stand up?, ever be a love song? I know not meant to be but you get my point. Let alone some of the more hard core angry pop/ hip hop stuff would even work today.

Maybe Usher/// hard to tell.

I am sure we could get a new thread...Music to #### to too..LOL.

I know Tom (TBrennan) has been somewhat of an insperation to me. I built the Jensen Imperial because of what he had to say about it. Then I built the University Classic because John Warren remembered it sounding very good. I had to find out for myself what these bass horns sounded like.

Were all here because of our passion about Klipsch speakers. Some of us feel very strong about the Heritage bass horn sound. Does that mean that we shouldn't experiment? I have more fun building and trying different things then I do just sitting around listening. How can you just sit and listen without thinking to yourself, WHAT IF I DID THIS ??????????

I found out that there are better sounding Altec, and JBL drivers that can be used with the Klipschorn to bring it to a higher level. I may have never found that out, and done some of the things that I did if it wasn't for people like Tom.

Don't criticize people who have different ideas then you do. That's what makes life interesting.

I fell in love with Klipschorns, because they just sound so damn good and real. They were able to give me goose bumps. That was back around 1966. It's been a love affair that out last most marriages.

Neo, are you being serious? I do not see where you own a pair of Cornwalls, and I would not even either if I worried about the WAF. I have Forte II's bought new in 95, and they are incredible for RNR.

However, my CW's kick major a**.

My Heresys are in the garage and aside from pour acoustics, I am still working on the power supply...that dammed Craig, I think he spends more time on this Forum than actually working.9.gif

KHorns, definitely did not make the WAF yet, so they reside at Dads. Great sound with a 299D.

801's neede too much power to wake up in my opinion.

Cerwin Vega - now that was my speaker of choice in the 70's, what a shame I new nothing of Klipsch back then.

They are able to create the most astonishingly realistic illusion of live music at home than any speaker I have heard -- all with less than I single watt from an amplifier.

I have also discovered they can do the same thing with much more than a single watt, and I liked that sound very much! -- in certain respects, maybe even more. The 10 watt PP 6V6 amps I recently tried with the Klipschorns have become something of a work in progress. They sounded so good in fact, that I look very forward to a much more serious interest and hopefully acquisition concerning push-pull amplifiers.

They grab my attention and make music listening tons of fun!

I love my k-horns, I will not buy another speaker for my main system. however I relish the chance to hear other speakers in other systems and have even experimented with single driver speakers in my house to see what that had to offer. IMHO JBL, Altec and Edgar horns all have something to offer as does B&W (I have heard 801s, driven by levinson amps and they sounded very nice but did not have the kind of sound I prefer...hence my klipschorns), anyone who completely dismisses those brands out of hand is, again IMHO, demonstrating thier limited knowledge and experience. during my last trip to NY I had the chance to audition the top line JBL speakers and...my god...they gave quite a show.

I think it is foolish to bash Tom Brennen for giving his opinion. Tom, unlike many of the people here, has owned and auditioned a wide variety of speakers and systems over the years, I value his opinion though I do not always agree with him, I do respect his comments, they are based on experience.

IMHO absolutist statements from relative neophytes are the real annoyance here, not opinions (however strong or contraversial) from grisled veterans.

Lets try to learn something from our fellow b-boarders, the truth is that there as many ways to audio nirvana as there are hairs on my xss (that's a lot, lol) SET, PP, DHT, pentodes, horns, cones, vintage, brand spanking new...jeez! you could put together breathtaking systems with any and all combinations of those items, many do. the trick is to get out there and listen and try and settle on the combination that works for you.

as a b-board buddy likes to say "klipsch out"

war regards, tony

----------------

On 6/21/2004 9:16:43 PM paulparrot wrote:

Good, then it's resolved. The Klipschorn is the finest loudspeaker system in the world, and Edgar, JBL, B&W, etc. are not even close.

----------------

Yup !! as if this thread has'nt tiptoed on the vurge of intervention yet you want to throw out some fresh bait and liven things up again, good work paul

14.gif