Beyma CP25: first listen

OK OK...

just installed my new CP25 tweeters on my scalas.

Well, I must say I'm not totally convinced.

they sure sound great. They sure sound better than the T35 / K77. Cleaner, more detailed, smoother, ad they don't distort at all when played very loud.

BUT they also sound LOUDER. They're not supposed to; I suspect it's because thy're brand new, or because of the different dispersion pattern. or maybe they overreact with the modded AA x-over. Maybe I should just remove the 1uF bridging cap. The overall sound is rather ear-piercing to say the least.

It also seems that putting them 8 to 10 inches backwards helps integrating them.

Al, what do you think?

6.gif

Thanks for the post.

What crossovers are you using in your Scalas?

I've got a pair of CP-25's on my Khorns right now. I got them several weeks ago, off Ebay, and had to replace the diaphragms.

They do sound smoother than the K77's and handle higher power. Will need to give them a listen to see what I notice about their volume relative to the K77. Don't think i've noticed that they are that much louder. They do seem to be louder with my Type A crossovers than they sounded when Arkytype set them up on my Khorns with ALK's extreme slope crossovers. My first impression of them at that time was that they seemed to disappear into the music. Didn't have a very long time to hear them set up like that, though.

The consensus is that they are simply louder than EV T-35 and the Klipsch version.

They probably will not become less loud than they are right now. An attenuator is probably your best bet...

If you want to get rid of them (heh, heh), mail me...

DM2.gif

I won't get rid of them. i like them a lot.

The thing is - at least in my room with my system- they seem to be very sensitive to their placement relative to the mid and bass horns.

It already sounds a lot nicer.

also I'm using silver hybrid wire between them and the x-overs; maybe it makes them sound louder.

They're not supposed to be louder than the T35; measurements made by Al K. and others show they are rather one or two dB less loud...

Shock,

The Beymas may simply have a different sensitivity that the K77s you are used to. Remember that the Alnico k77 do not sound a loud as the square ceramic magnet k77s. Also, my networks have less loss in the tweeter filter than the AA. A combination of these changes will alter you parception of how loud they are compared what you are used to.

Al K.

I admit to start with that I have cloth ears, but I like my CP25s. Had them in for about a year, still resting on some books. Its not until I take them out and reconnect the K tweeter do I realise how much better they are. Are they louder--maybe that's part of what I like. I use the Type A crossover with Hovlands and no bass inductor.I say try em. thanks Al.

tim

----------------

On 6/24/2004 1:10:08 AM dhsettim wrote:

I admit to start with that I have cloth ears, but I like my CP25s. Had them in for about a year, still resting on some books. Its not until I take them out and reconnect the K tweeter do I realise how much better they are. Are they louder--maybe that's part of what I like. I use the Type A crossover with Hovlands and no bass inductor.I say try em. thanks Al.

tim

----------------

I agree with the fact that they sound WAY better than the K77. it's not a "tizz" treble anymore, it has real substance, you can feel the grain of every instrument playing, it's marvelous.

The only problem is integrating them. i moved them around 8inches back from the front, and now they don't seem too loud anymore. But the stereo image is somewhat left-right now.

I think the problem is when sitting a few inches back on a reflective surface I get a problem with first reflections of sound. that's why I don't have a good stereo anymore.

I should stick some acoustic foam or something on the midrange horn's upper lip to prevent the sound of the tweeter to reflet and diffract on it.

I think it will solve the problem :o)

The Beyma CP25 tweeters arrived today from Belgium, looks like they took 12 days with shipping to get here, $172 (141 Euro) charged to the card so far, one edge, with screw hole, was chipped off, very beefy looking cheeks and hefty magnet, hope they are worth the bucks, shipping looks like it was $27, dont see any customs charge yet...3.gif

Colin,

You are going to get the damaged part replaced, right? That sounds like a break that superglue would heal just fine for a used pair. I don't know about new.

I have gotten a pair from Ebay and have them mounted each on a pair of 6 inch L brackets. Turns out that the horn screw holes already match the holes in the L bracket. They sit nicely on the Khorn HF. have put little rubber feet on the bottom of the L bracket legs to sit still w/o scratching.

So Colin, do you mean, "right" or "yeah.... riiight!!!"

I've got a pair coming from Belgium this week, supposedly, only I paid twice as much for shipping.

I wonder If Benny will settle up with me on the difference, I'd hate to think he took me for a sucker and was right about it. Maybe he looked at the usspeaker.com site and figured he had a profit center. I'd like to think better of him.

You are going to pursue the broken horn with Benny, right?

my shipping was on the box, price was after conversion from Euro, benny basically said too bad, though I have shipped dozens of speakers without any problem, don't plan to mount them now anyway, like the open look, may make a top aht to slide over them someday, other problems first...

Well, I sure hope mine arrive intact. Sounds like it will be an absolute pain to get some accountability out of Benny. If it's broken in shipment, I think it is the responsibility of the seller/shipper to make it right and recover from the shipper or deal with the consequences of inadequate packing.

I am certain that U.S. Speaker wouldn't do something like this. If they shipped it and it broke, they'd make it right.

I'd be interested to hear from any European forum members, is something like Benny's response par for the course in Europe? I'd like to think not. But I sure wonder.

I've been listening to Beyma CP 25's for a couple of weeks now. Have them sitting on top of the Khorns. Last night changed them out and reconnected the K77's.

My take: Kind of glad my Khorns sound like Khorns again. Looking at the frequency response on the Beyma's, in the words of Al Klappenberger, "they walk all over" the K77's. They are also rated at the same efficiency.

I think that I want to set them up again, at some point, with a switch to a/b with the K77's w/o the inconvenience of pulling the khorn out from the wall and changing leads at the crossover.

One logistical issue that occured to me. (Things usually occur to me slowly and are often much more obvious to others) 9.gif In a Khorn, it would be quite a challenge to mount the Beyma inside the HF and retain the K400 horn. It can be done nicely in Belle's and Khorns as Al Klappenberger and Arkytype have done with the shorter Altec mid horn. The Khorn is problematic because the K400 horn extends all the way to the corner and could not be moved horizontally (to accomodate the Beyma) and stay in the corner. Easier with the Belle.

So far my take on the Beyma as a drop in replacement for the K77 is that it does not tip the scales enough to outweigh the inconvenience and aesthetics of having the big rascal (for a tweeter) sitting on top of the Khorn HF's.

In the K77, there is a tizz factor that could be improved upon and the Beyma may yet prove to be the alternative for a smoother HF.

Sometime I'll make a trip to see and hear Arkytype's extreme makeover. When he hooked up the Beyma's to my Khorns at the Arkansas gathering, I think they sounded better with ALK's extreme slope crossovers over my type A's.

More later.