Not gone, but don't feel like posting...

chuckears

The recent departures of some long-time regulars (fini, I know you're lurking, because I still peruse the Home Theater Forum, even though I've removed my cookie so I'm not logged in) leaves a void in the balance of opinion here. I understand the reasons for the departees' decision to refrain from posting. I am also weary of some of the arguments, ranging from the political to the actual on-topic tweaking and cable discussions.

As referred to above, I no longer post at the Home Theater Forum (dot-com, not the Klipsch HT forum), because there is a band of regulars there that vehemently shoot down anyone who dares to offer opinions other than those that said regulars espouse, then wink at each other, making references to consumption of alcohol. It became so frustrating and negative, I eventually posted my goodbye, and dropped my login cookie.

It is not being disagreed with that I find so dis-heartening; rather, it is the belligerence, arrogance, and dismissiveness with which these arguments are packaged that makes me not want to be a part of some of the discussions. It is as if the spirit of Rush Limbaugh (if he can be characterized as having a spirit) has permeated our culture, making civility a rare concept.

The internet is so immediate, the opportunity to speak (or type) without giving careful thought to the possible inflammatory nature of one's response is nearly inevitable. I, like many others here, am also at an age that I really don't require agreement from others to validate my own opinions; I will state them, and sometimes with visceral honesty, not caring who gets in the way of my mental shotgun blast.

The irony, and ultimately decisive factor in recent departures, is that most of us are here due to common purpose: our enthusiasm for audio and video in general, and Klipsch products in particular. To come into what would innocently seem as friendly territory, and then be met with such a volatile mix of opinions, can be very off-putting to some. Many of you might discern this as weakness, this inability to take several punches without hitting back every time.

When opinions are sometimes at such polar opposites, it just becomes uncomfortable to be here; in the case of the HT Forum.com, I felt like I was not wanted; almost like being mentally bullied at school, or like finding yourself at a Hitler rally in the Third Reich. I'm not saying some of you are Nazis, but there can be an atmosphere of intolerance (more so at the HT Forum), either openly hostile or more subtle, that makes a person uncomfortable, and want to get the hell out.

I will most likely not post for a while myself; I have come to the end of an upgrade cycle, and am listening to more music; some of these discussions have become tiresome, and I'll just drop in every now and then for a quick read.

Later,

chuckears

Chuck, don't go. I like what you try to do here. Just went through your last 10 posts and enjoyed them all. I'm sorry you've been beat about the ears a bit (pun).

I think if you review those posts yourself you'll see you got a warm response and great feedback.

Obviously I don't know about the rest of it but I do know this can be a contentious and argumentive family. Some of my own comments in an attempt at humor have probably bombed or inadvertantly hurt someone, and some of my posts have been essentially hijacked by others with decidedly firm opinions. On the hwole I find this a wonderful place to hang out.

Stick around!

PS I see you're a chef. What's this infusing stuff all about?

Mmm, maybe I should be more circumspect, since every club I have been a member of erupted in flames from time to time (never me!) while I hung on counseling wisdom, patience and diligence. Maybe it IS time to move the army into the hot spots

7.gif

"because there is a band of regulars there that vehemently shoot down anyone who dares to offer opinions other than those that said regulars espouse, then wink at each other.

It is not being disagreed with that I find so dis-heartening; rather, it is the belligerence, arrogance, and dismissiveness with which these arguments are packaged that makes me not want to be a part of some of the discussions."

It is amazing how 1 or 2 people have been able to totally destroy many many others enjoyment of this Forum. So long Chuck, enjoy your newfound spare time.

Keith