Bell Model 3DT Tube Amp?

You picked a true winner!

The Bell 3DT was made in 1953, and produces 10W per channel. It was one of the first, if not the first true stereo amplifier ever produced.

What seperates this amplifier from your typical Scott is build quality. The Bell used 30W Stancor output transformers in a 10W design, absolute overkill and permits unbelievable frequency response, absolutely dead flat from 20-20,000 cycles. The preamp, and phono stages are cascaded class A amplifiers, followed by a long tail phase inverter. Quality paper capacitors were used throughout, along with Ohmite carbon resistors and Sprague electrolytics.

What you have is one of the finest examples of a vintage integrated, the Bell will blow the doors off of a Scott 299-B or comparable model.

The only problem you will be faced with is 50+ year old components, what was once state-of-the-art will be useless and defective today. Do not run the Bell in stock form, you may destroy it. It will need to be updated with modern Polypropylene Film/Foil coupling capacitors, new Electrolytics, and possibly some new resistors. The parts are really cheap, and the end result will be worth it. The Bell 3DT is not your typical 60's integrated, it is a much earlier design from a period when stereo was science fiction, a real innovation that set the standards for the later Scott and Fisher stereo models.

There weren't many good 6V6 hi-fi amplifiers produced, and by the 1960's, less and less were made. It is a damn fine audio tube. It was used primarily in guitar amplifiers. The Bell was the best. The 10W Bell run through Klipsch will give you stunning results.

Gil- I appreciate the assistance.

That's all I was getting, too.

Today is my lucky day, though.

Looks like I got my answer.

Mr. TS Lamp Works- Thank you very much.

That is what I like to hear.

Good stuff.

My '57 Khorns are gonna love it.

Yeah.

I'm very glad to get this kind of insight.

It was more than I could have hoped for.

Thanks again.

It's a beautiful piece, with it's tan and gold bakelight knobs and it's "Scott Stereomaster gold" faceplate. (is that where Scott got it's signiture color from?)

Ha Ha

Cleanest chassis i've seen with not a dent or scratch to be found, either inside or out.

I was happy to find that 5 of the 6 12ax7s are Mullards.

Joy...

Only 2 little issues with it.

It has a modified on/off toggle switch and it's missing one gold piece of trim of the top of the faceplate.

The switch doesn't bother me and the trim is replaceable, so i'm good to go.

About destroying it by driving it without internal modification.....

I do understand conceptually why this is an issue, but if it was brought up slowly on a variac and benchtested by a tech for 3 hours, then isn't it safe to assume it's "ready for action", so to speak?

Just curious.

I do plan on a rebuild, but it won't be right away.

Regards,

John

----------------

On 6/23/2004 10:22:34 PM Audioreality wrote:

About destroying it by driving it without modification.....

I do understand conceptually why this is an issue, but if it was brought up slowly on a variac and benchtested by a tech for 3 hours, then isn't it safe to assume it's "ready for action", so to speak?

Just curious.

Regards,

John.

----------------

John,

I'd really like to tell you that the Bell will continue to be reliable, but I honestly can't. The Variac will only reform the electrolytics to a certain extent, it won't help the paper coupling capacitors or other parts. The best thing I could tell you is to keep an eye on it, watch the output tubes for red glowing plates, and to get it rebuilt as soon as possible. It's far too nice to destroy. A lot happened inside the Bell within the last 51 years!

So, how does it sound? Do you have something else to compare it to (vintage Scott, Eico, Fisher)? Remember that what you're hearing is not an accurate representation of what it originally sounded like 51 years ago, but it could with a rebuild.

TS

TS- Thanks again.

I'll use extreme caution.

I haven't set it up, yet.

Tommorrow, after work, I was going to mess around and hook her up to a few old Klipsch.

I have a few tube offerings to compare it with.

My running tube gear consists of a Jolida 202A, Lafayette LR800, Heathkit AA-32, Don McGohan (M-G) WA-325, Stromburg Carlson Signet 22, and Signet 33.

It should be interesting.

I'm excited.

I would have set it all up tonight, but I had to go a 2nd job after I came home from my 1st one.

You know.....one of those days.

Mind awake, body beat.

Regards,

John

Craig- I got it from a local guy, whom I have been dealing with for a couple of years, now.

He's been repairing stereo gear for 30+ years and does a great job, but he refuses to do any "mods" what-so-ever.

Heh....

I love my new garage.

Just wish I had room for at least ONE car in there.

I'll keep a close eye on it, brother.

Really don't want to see it self-destruct before I really get a chance to enjoy it.

Regards,

John.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 10:02:59 PM Tung-Sol Lamp Works wrote:

Bell's answer to Scott's 299-B.

Was anyone looking for a 299-B? Try this Bell instead. No need to pay $300+ for a quality 7189/EL84 amplifier.

----------------

This amp looks like it would be a huge score, and not alot of bidding interest so far. I have to wonder about the description as "no hum or noise". The tubes alone could be worth the price. The way the seller has it laid out in the description certainly sounds nice.

----------------

On 6/24/2004 1:45:36 PM DaddyDee wrote:

----------------

On 6/23/2004 10:02:59 PM Tung-Sol Lamp Works wrote:

Bell's answer to Scott's 299-B.

Was anyone looking for a 299-B? Try this Bell instead. No need to pay $300+ for a quality 7189/EL84 amplifier.

----------------

This amp looks like it would be a huge score, and not alot of bidding interest so far. I have to wonder about the description as "no hum or noise". The tubes alone could be worth the price. The way the seller has it laid out in the description certainly sounds nice.

----------------

Absolutely a huge score. While not really obvious by looking at the pics, the 7189's are Amperex Bugle-Boys, at least the one to the far right is. Bell used Amperex and Mullard tubes, I bet all tubes are stock. The tube complement in this Bell alone is worth more than $125 if they test good (which is almost always the case).

However, I wouldn't buy the amplifier just for the tubes, if I were buying it, it would be for the amplifier! It's a nice one, similar in sound to the Scott 222-D but better (all triode front end, no pentode driver like the Scott). The all triode front end is also what makes the Eico HF-81 special.

TS

I think you got let off a little too easily re: rebuilding, for a nice piece like that you really should, at least, replace the caps before putting it into steady service, or you will risk melt-down. congrats on the great score, tony

On the Bell amp on Ebay. It sold quite reasonably and perhaps to the sound satisfaction of the original bidder. There was a sniper, but the original (and only other bidder) placed a bid second after the sniper to take the amp for $2.50 above the sniper's bid.

That would make me feel good anyway.