Wanted: Large Subwoofer

Vettemanfrom1973

I am looking to spend about $300 US, preferable Klipsch, would spend more if needed. If you're looking to upgrade to a massive sub I'd be willing to take the big sub off your hands. To give you an idea of what I am hoping for here's a list of the subs in order. I am current have a pair of KLF 30's, a KT-LCR for a center channel, ****ty surrounds and no sub (just sold my PS-1000).

SW-15

KT-SW

RW-12

KSW-15 (I haven't been reading good things about this one, but...)

RSW-12

Jonathan

As it sounds like you don't absolutely need to be brand specific and you sound like you want to at least loosely stick to a budget, then I probably wouldn't go with Klipsch for your sub. As far as good output and quality bass you can get more for your money with a company like SVS. I love Klipsch as all the other speakers I own are Klipsch, but subs are a different story.

Try out the entry level cylinders such as the 25-31pci for $549 or even an entry box like the PB1-isd for $599. These will provide more bang for your buck. Move up to the plus or ultra versions and dual driver configurations and they will begin to blow your mind. 2.gif

----------------

On 6/24/2004 2:15:34 PM dmethe3 wrote:

Assman, I have an SW-15 SUB that needs amp work, otherwise o.k. Will sell for cheap money.Have original box and can ship.

----------------

The SW-15 is a killer sub! You guys should work something out so that beast doesn't just sit and collect dust. I just had an SW-12 amp repaired by a local shop for $150. The only problem might be the shipping cost breaking the budget, unless you're really close to one another.

dmethe3, let me know how much you want for the sub if he doesn't buy it. Good luck!

See my post to your question in HT section... and paste it here...

Best subwoofer for KLF-30's

Note that 300$US = ± 405$cnd which is about 100$ less than what you mentioned in the other thread. The choice in that price range is VERY limited, even used. If that has to include shipping, taxes, brokerage, etc... your looking at just over 200$US. Best bet would be to look at local papers and pick one up locally.

I wouldn't bother with the KSW sub as there are better subs for less...

Rob

----------------

On 6/24/2004 1:26:16 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the RW-12

----------------

I agree, the RW subs are good subs compared to other store bought subs in the same price range. It's not a RSW... but doesn't carry it's price tag either.

I looked at the SW-15 on klipsch's site and it looks nice. with a passive radiator the bass should be tighter and obviously will have no port noise. if you really want to save money Id go diy. I just ordered and got a titanic kit(Titanic MKIII 10" kit with 250 watt amp and finished cab) from parts express. I think colin metion PE kits. I can't comment on sound quality because the drivers voice coil was out of alignment when I got it. don't let you think that a damaged driver is a reason not to consider a kit like this- the PE tech support said it is rare that this happens(it will cost me not a cent to get a new shipped to me9.gif ). I ll be able to comment on sound quality in a week or so(need to ship back driver, plus I'll be gone on vaction). I will comment on quality of build though. the box is top notch 3/4 think mdf and internally braced. the brace is notched in the sides of the cab, not just glued. the gill that came has fabric on it already and is very nice. it also comes with spikes which help clean up sound, level it on the floor, and also make it look better. as for the driver, its built in the USA- omg, imagine that, built in USA6.gif-, has a very big cast aluminum basket, huge long stroke vc(18.7mm xmax, thats just on way. pretty good for a cheap kit)and 2.5inches in diamter, very big magnet(over 6 lbs), huge surround, and handles 400 watts rms. remember that just a 10" sub. Im sure that it(the actullay sub driver) is better than a 10" sub made for huge production. Im not at all impling to buy a 10" sub or even a kit. but I think you may want to consider it(a kit). they have 12 and 15 inch models too. these are the same great build but bigger amps- 12 , 500 watt, 15inch , 1000 watt. there designed buy a audiophile van dickenson. by the way the amp has a standard warrenty of one year and the driver a 5 year(all driver models). sorry this is so long. if you want, I could tell you what its sounds like after the new driver comes and I break it in. I ll post a few picks of the driver and actual sub.2.gif

see ya

post-15154-1381925616805_thumb.jpg

There is nothing wrong with the RW-12 as long as you don't need a really powerful sub

----------------

Well......I'm just guessing, but it seems like anyone using a pair of KLF-30s would probably want a "powerful sub". Besides, the guy makes it perfectly clear that he wants a "large subwoofer".

I've owned an RW-12 and an SW-15, among many other subwoofers, and while the RW-12 was fine with my RB-5IIs in a bedroom system, it's not what I'd choose to go with KLF-30s in a home theater system. Among the subs on the list provided, the SW-15 and RSW-12 would undoubtedly sound much better.

Now that I think about it, over several years of selling A/V equipment, not one customer ever asked me for a subwoofer that's not "really powerful", regardless of the other speakers they were using.

2.gif

----------------

On 6/26/2004 12:01:03 AM assmanfrom1973 wrote:

well rckpls, email me and let me know your price and include some details as to what kind of amp problems you are having. i may be going on a Roadtrip to catch a ballgame in Boston in a few weeks so that could work out well.

Jonathan
12.gif

----------------

Sorry....dmethe3 is the guy wanting to sell the SW-15.

ooops sorry I meant dmethe3.

I appreciate the responses. I am having a difficult time making up my mind. I just found a new RW-12 with a blemish for $600CDN. i guess I'll give it a listen. I just don't want to regret the purchase later as I'm afraid of making a hast decision since I miss the bass. Please keep your suggestions coming and I will pay more if I must.

Well I am still not having much luck finding a sub. Anyone have a large powerful sub for sale? I am going to listen to an RW-12 on in 2 days. Its brand new but has a blemish on the cabine and they are willing to sell for $600 CDN. I'm thinking that sounds pretty good. Like I had mentioned I preferred to purchase a SW-15 before the RW-12. After comparing the specs the RW-12 blows away the SW-15 as far as specs go. Shouldn't this tell me that the RW-12 would sound better? Do these number comparisons show an honest advantage? I've heard the SW-15 and if the RW-12 is better than that it might keep me satisfied.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: SW-15 - 27Hz-120Hz±3dB vs RW-12 - 21-120Hz ±3dB

MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: SW-15 - 110dB SPL vs. RW-12 - 113dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

AMPLIFIER POWER:

SW-15 - 200 watts maximum continuous(252 watts peak)

vs.

RW-12 - 340 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 825 watts

Jonathan

Well I am still not having much luck finding a sub. Anyone have a large powerful sub for sale? I am going to listen to an RW-12 on in 2 days. Its brand new but has a blemish on the cabine and they are willing to sell for $600 CDN. I'm thinking that sounds pretty good. Like I had mentioned I preferred to purchase a SW-15 before the RW-12. After comparing the specs the RW-12 blows away the SW-15 as far as specs go. Shouldn't this tell me that the RW-12 would sound better? Do these number comparisons show an honest advantage? I've heard the SW-15 and if the RW-12 is better than that it might keep me satisfied.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: SW-15 - 27Hz-120Hz�3dB vs RW-12 - 21-120Hz �3dB

MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: SW-15 - 110dB SPL vs. RW-12 - 113dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

AMPLIFIER POWER:

SW-15 - 200 watts maximum continuous(252 watts peak)

vs.

RW-12 - 340 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 825 watts

Jonathan

I just got my new driver back 4 days ago. the bass on this sub is very impressive. it is so tight- keeps up with tight bass songs and you can hear and feel each beat distictivly(spelling?? d i s...). there's also 2 other models that Im sure would blow your mind in quality and ouput- excpecially for the price. I only have the 10 and am VERY impressed. it handles lord of the rings and pearl harbor well in my 16 by 18 foot room. and im not corner loading it and am 13 feet away from it. it has some REALLY GOOD shaking ability for rooms that don't have a cement floor- this is no BS, yes a 10inch fully sealed sub can shake. on to your questions.

is that blemished rw 12 a good deal?:

well what is 600 cdn in us dollars? I know that in the us it goes for like 650 or so.

shouldn't specs tell which on is better?

The numbers mean something but you shouldn't go just by that. the drivers in each sub could have different efficiency ratings so the rw 12 may need more power at a given volume vs the sw 15. or vise versa. also that power is head room for the rw 12. its not all really usable. I doubt it will ever get up to

700 -800 watt range.

one thing I am positive on even though Ive never heard a sw 15 is that it will have less if no distortion when compared to the rw 12. I've listened to the rw 10 and 12 but never at high volumes. but some people on this board say that the rw series has a lot of port turbulence/distortion at high volumes. so that 113 db is not usable because of the port distorton unless you don't mind it.

a few other things to think about:

the specs on the sw15 say 110 db but don't say how far you are from it, is it corner loaded, etc. the rw 12 specs show 1/8 space which means it loaded in a corner and at on meter. and your not going to be one meter from it so thats not usable.

im sure that the sw 15 isn't corner loaded because it doesn't say so. but im sure its at one meter because thats a standard of taking spl spec readings(at least I think it is, all the specs of subs I see from other companies are at one meter if they list the spl, why not this one.)so id reccomend the sw 15 over the rw 12. it will run cooler and for SURE have less/none distortion.

note:when you look at subs or any speakers for that matter, what really matters is db output if you want it loud. don't bother with the watts generally speaking unless there is no max spl stated.

but maybe you still might want to consider a diy sub.you can save a lot of money and get a lot better performance. this sub I got will match subs twice or even three times its price(at least sound quality wise. for example: I know some one that has a infinity reference sub-1200-1500 dollars- said the titanic beats his sub definatly in quality. but again some of that is opinion).

oh by the way, I like your name. thats my name too. except usually I just go by Jon.

good luck on your choice.

Jon

sorry, I forgot to put line dashes around what you said when I replied. I just copied your message into my reply box. oh well. I just read that the sw 15 went for 2000 cdn just a decade ago. and if you could get one cheap that be the way to go. 1.gif