upgrade

spkrgeek

Well I can now say I am truly a Klipsch convert - I just replaced all of my JBL HT series inwalls with the Klipsch RCW-5s in the front and RCW3s for surrounds, replaced the JBL Northridge center w/ Klipsch RC-35, and the JBL MarkII Studio Sub w/ the RSW-15. Holy smokes what a difference!! The best part was replacing one speaker at a time, starting with the fronts so that I could compare the differnt models side by side, same source, etc. Long story short - there is no comparison. Hats off to the folks at Klipsch for making even an inwall speaker sound so good!

Yes, it would be nice to hear what differences the speaker change made to your home theatre setup. Did you have to make major changes to speaker positioning? I would imagine you would have immediately noticed a big difference in dynamics - it would have sounded like you upgraded your amp to something twice as powerful.

the biggest difference, which became obvious within the first few notes of the first track, was how crisp and clean the higher frequencies are coming from the Klipsch speaker. (I'm a newbie so forgive me for having a hard time using the right terms to describe sound) I know the specs indicate a 3 or 4 db difference in sensitivity, but there was more than just a difference than volume or loudness between them. I used to think I was happy with the JBLs untill I put the Klipsch next to them. And as for the sub, well in all fairness, I think the RSW-15 is in a whole different category from the JBL studio series sub, so I shouldn't really compare the two. I'll try to get some pics and post them soon.

you're absolutely right - it is very catching. As soon as I realized the difference, I replaced my outdoor JBLs which served the pool deck w/ the Klipsch SA-3s. Major improvement! Now I have the "itch" to replace all of my JBL inwalls in the various rooms of my A-Bus/whole house audio system.

spkrgeek: Fantastic! And, welcome in to the forum, we're glad to have you here (or is it "hear"? LOL).

You are confirming what I have been saying now for over a year: The RCW-5 may be one of Klipsch most under-rated, under-appreciated speakers. True, they are not to be compared with Klipsch's box-borne speakers, but they do perform at a high caliber and it's wonderful to read your direct comparison to the JBL in-walls. Thank you for that!

I happen to be using two RCW-5s as the two rear channels in my 7.1 setup. They do so extremely well, given tha fact that I have no room to place box speakers in the same location. I'd be putting it mildly if I said that wall space in my small theater is at a premium. Please read my profile or visit my web site below for additional information on our system. Best of luck to you and I'll look forward to seeing more posts from you from now on! 2.gif

thanx - I enjoy and learn a lot from this forum, what little time I have been here. No doubt, the box stuff from klipsch would be another step up, and I have room for it, but the inwalls are how I obtained the "permision slip" from my wife. Long story short, agreeing to inwalls, and crawling under the house to run cable for her to have internet connection in the kitchen is how I got her ok to dedicate an entire bonus room (22'x30') to our HT. She wasn't crazy about the size of the RSW-15, but all I had to do was remind her that there are no other speakers on the floor. I sit through a chick flick with her once in a while and she stays happy.