size of K-55

naof74

----------------

On 6/25/2004 6:24:04 PM naof74 wrote:

I would like to know the throat size of K-55-V.

Is it one inch?

----------------

Just measured one of mine and it looks to be 1" except there is a bug screen at the opening that reduces it to approx. 13/16".

just in case you need to know the mounting size is 1-3/8" x 18 thread mount.

mike1.gif

----------------

On 6/25/2004 8:31:57 PM djk wrote:

PWK claims 0.7"

If you pull off the screen and measure it, I say 0.625"

----------------

Thanks djk for the correction.

naof74 sorry if my answer was off. I was making an estimate based on the screen opening but after reading djk answer I relooked at my K-55-V driver. I didn't want to pull the screen out so I used a light so that I could see down the throat to the phase plug and set a dial calliper at .7" and it seems to match very close to me. maybe when someone has one apart they could measure it for us.

My recall is that Electro-Voice gave a spec on its screw on drivers of 7/8 inch. And I think I used a micrometer on an 1824 with bug screen removed to find that was correct.

I can't say the Atlas driver, or any driver uses that. It may have been an industry standard though.

At the time I was being very persnickity about the throat size of a midrange horn I was building.

In the long run, I have come to believe that I was indeed being too careful. The bug screen collar cuts down the area a bit. However, looking back toward the diaphragm, it is difficult to chose any diameter and say it is "correct" acoustically.

There is a much larger diaphragm which feeds the path around, and sometimes through, the phase plug. So plus or minus 10% is not going to mean anything to the acoustics. This is because the acoustic load on the diaphram doesn't "see" small changes in area over a short distance.

Rather the load is effected by the horn as a whole and especially the first two or three inches into the mouth. The only exception is the phase plug.

Gil