the 4.1 monster cable upgrade

The answer to your question is 'sort of'. The cables that come with promedias are pretty terrible, being very thin and made of aluminum. Considering the very low impedance of the promedia satellites (4 ohms nominal probably going down to 3 at times) it would be wise to have something with less resistance. If you're not a DIY kind of guy, the monster cable wire would certainly do the job, but they are pretty expensive for what they do.

However, if you're up for it, you can get some dcent 16 gauge cable (probably don't need more than that). I like the Acoustic Research (sold at BB) cause the wire feels more professionally made than the RadioShack brand, and is only fractionally more expensive, while being half the price of monster. You can then get a pair of screw-type mono 1/8" minijack assemblies from RadioShack (<$10 for both) and terminate your wires at the speaker end using those (use the straight pins that come with the Acoustic Research cable to terminate the ends that go to the Promedia amp). This gives you the advantage of choosing your wire length to be whatever is convenient for you, since the 30 feet supplied by monster can be too short if you have to wind the wire around furniture to hide it away.

P.S. Make sure to use the clear platic tube that comes with those 1/8" jacks as directed (for insulating the + line), since the outer metal jacket is conductive. If you don't hear any sound from the speakers, you're shorting the line, so just disassemble the connector and try again. Don't worry about damaging your speakers - as long as you're not feeding them full power, very little juice is flowing, thus little chance of damaging the amp with a short.

• 4 weeks later...

it wont affect the sound... not worth it unless you are bored or money to burn.

unless you are running true speakers, you wont be able to discern much by upgrading multimedia wires. i run 12gauge wires from my receiver to my polks lsi7 and the only thing i noticed was that the polks now are .5db louder (measured with an SPL meter) with the 12ga in comparison to the 16ga... small difference - but looks a hell of a lot cooler! 9.gif