Multichannel audio

jzoz01

I bought a sony sacd player a little over a year ago and until yesterday never owned anything but dark side of the moon. I took a little shopping trip to best buy and bought aerosmith toys in the attic and three doors down, both on sacd. I must say that the three doors down was actually better than i had expected and toys in the attic left me somewhat disapointed. Can anyone else recomend any good ones? I'd like to get some jazz or classical to show off the system.

Diana Krall's "When I Look In Your Eyes" is good, as is "Ask A Woman Who Knows", by Natalie Cole. "In Full Swing", by Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing Trio is very good, too. It's not jazz or classical, but "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (Elton John) on SACD is cool.

BestBuy doesn't have much in jazz and classical. My advice would be to look at elusivedisc.com. Click on music, then SACD, and then it further divides into mono, stereo, multichannel sections. Then it divides by label, and some labels, like Sony, it divides into multichannel jazz, multichannel classical, multichannel popular. Then you can get an idea of what is available. If you make some preliminary selections, you can always ask again if anyone has any specific experience with the titles in question.

Miles Davis "In A Silent Way" has an incredible multichannel mix, with vastly better signal to noise ratio than on the original stereo mix, which is also included. That would be a great one to show off a multichannel system because it has instruments coming directly from the surrounds, not only ambience.

Brian Moura has an excellent webpage that lists all multichannel SACD releases including known upcoming and foreign release only:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/bmoura/homepage.htm

jzoz01-go to Telarc's website. They carry a lot of Jazz & Classical. I agree entirely about "1812" giving a system a workout! I had the original 1812 cd, then upgraded to the DVD-Audio version. The upgraded again to the SACD after I got new player. I was completely floored by it!

I also have 3 Doors Down and really like it. Also try

Wallflowers: Red Letter Days

Shania Twain: Up

Flim & the B.B.s: Tricyle

Bon Jovi: Bounce

Bon Jovi: This Left Feels Right

Mormon Tabernacle CHoir: Sound of Glory

I have others,but can't remember them off the top of my head!

If ya like Jazz/Rock fusion that KICKS, go to tommybolin.com. It is a website promoting the music of Tommy Bolin, a deceased guitarist from the early 70's. He played with James Gang, Deep Purple, Billy Cobham and Alphonse Mouzon. The Archives has about 30 remixed rare/live CD's of his music and there a couple that have been remixed to SACD format. Sadly, I don't own a SACD player (yet) so I don't have the discs to give you a review. Suffice to say that these rare glimpses into the short, genius life of Tommy have all been given the utmost care in cleaning them up. Give it a try...

The depressing thing to me is, that this far into the launch of multi-channel, there is still so little new music being released on either format. And of what is, a lot is pretty lame, as far as utilizing the possibilities at hand. The center channel is practically unused, and the surrounds are often either under-used or mis-used. -Just my little old opinion, of course. I think SACD and DVD-A may both bite the dust. Can't believe it has come to this, but I just can't imagine the majors nursing them along indefinitely. They can't be making any money on them, can they?

Yeah - I've been disappointed with the selection as well. All that wire behind my rack and so little use! I do enjoy Tubular Bells and Elton John - Yellow Brick Road. The sound is impressive, but they've got to get some more selection before most people will be willing to screw with all the extra cabling required (not to mention the costs of all that cable).

Not much new music (actually recorded in multichannel) has been that interesting to me. I must be getting old.

Darren....Its amazeing how mutch you look like me. John Eargle (VP JBL) Has done some extensive multi channel surround sound recording of the Seattle Symphony orch. Trying to master microphone requirements for a good ambient & surround mix. This is the guy to watch. So for what is coming out of thr recording industry is a phony mono mix of what true multi ambient multi channel is ment to be used for. The recording mix,s now are still mono panned to different channels. Its like sticking one mic. up your nose & one up your a$$ & sneezing and farting at the same time . And your paying extra for this. SACD & DVD A costs $25 for what? To sound like my LP? I allready have analog & its still cheaper. If I want surround sound Ill go to the movies. Preferably with KLIPSCH Pro cinema speakers.

Maron, you really crack me up.2.gif

I agree with you on the "multi-mono" recording techniques being used - I don't like it either, generally. Seems almost all early 2-channel recordings were the same, though - everything panned hard left or hard right with a little put smack in the middle. Geez, did I say early? The Beatles (er, George Martin, to be precise) and others were still doing it that way a lot in the mid to late sixties. My point is, it just seems to be part of the learning curve.

I think the fact the music recording industry chose not to follow the film model of how to use the surround channels has really confused and hampered the introduction of SACD/DVD-A. Not that flexibility in recording processes is a bad thing, just that it caused confusion among consumers -- direct or diffuse surrounds; identical speakers all around or not, placement issues, etc), and confusion among recordists -- will the buyer of this recording have a center channel worthy of their mains; will they have full-range surrounds; dipoles; bipoles; tadpoles? A very chaotic situation, all in all. 14.gif