KSW-12 setup questions

RalphKaz

I just got my KSW12 today and I have a couple of questions. First - I'm running it with a Denon 3200 KSF 10.5's in front w/matching center and KEF bookshelf in the back.

I have the sub hooked up via the L/R inputs (both) which I'm splitting with a y-adapter from the sub pre out on the denon.

Questions - what settings should the controls on the sub be set to (for anyone with a similar setup)? I can't believe the klipsch manual doesn't even go over what the switches/dials on the back do. What is the phase switch for? I remember something about sub placement - but don't know for sure. Right now I have it set at '0' and have the sub in front next to my front left speaker.

I have the level around 9 and the lowpass around 90. Does this sound right?

Also - on the Denon - there's a setting for LFE trim. The Denon manual is also pretty brief and does not explain exactly what this is for. I think I have that around -8 right now, is this OK?

Thanks in advance for answering my newbie questions.

RalphKaz

Ralph,

Good news and bad news...

First the bad news...many of the questions you are asking do not have black and white answers...Bass management is always a hot topic around here (right boa?). There are lots of variables that deal with your questions. The good news is these aren't really newbie questions and part of the fun with an HT set-up is the experimentation!

Let's deal with the "phase" question first: This switch allows you to change the phase of your sub by 180 degrees in order to prevent your sub from being out of phase with your other speakers which would cause some cancellation of bass frequencies. Just try listening to your system with the sub set to "0" for awhile then switch to "180". Whichever setting gives you the most bass is the correct setting.

You mention placement (even though you didn't ask)which is key to good sub performance. Often corners are good, but here again you should experiment. One of the favorite tips passed around here is to put the sub in your primary listening seat ("The Sweet Spot")and walk around the room to find out where the bass sounds the best...then place the sub where you were standing.

The level switch is pretty straightforward and the setting will vary with everyone...depends on the efficiency of your other speakers, your receiver, your room, your tastes, etc..."MINE GOES UP TO ELEVEN"!

Lowpass...well now here's the can of worms...The easiest and possibly the most popular way to deal w/ this is to set the sub at it's highest setting 120hz. and then set your receiver to sub "yes" and front, center, and rear speakers set to "small". This will send all signals below 80hz to your sub. I don't do it this way..but heck..to each his own. There are many threads here that deal with this question...check them out, experiment, find out what works best for you!

Good Luck

Dave

Thanks for the thorough answer...

I'm still not quite sure what the LFE trim setting (under Dolby Digital) on the Denon is for. Does anyone know exactly what this does. I assume it has something to do with the bass but I'm not sure what...

RK

right on DL; just got the HGS-18 back from the shop so now into the heavy lifting (now have a voltage spike in the home electrical system when switching the amp to also wrestle with) cwm30.gif

ralph, imagine that's your unit's LFE level as opposed to it's low bass sub out level. low bass & LFE are dif. things. just in case attached is my infamous dolby LFE vs. low bass guide. cwm12.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Here goes. Final tweaks are now complete (let's hope so, or not...it's fun to tweak)...After months of deliberation, testing, sweating, swearing, and being sworn at by my wife (who hates bass, incidently), I have figured out the BEST way to hook up a KSW-12 to a Denon reciever - In my opinion.

Turn your sub to "off" in bass management, return your expensive subwoofer cable(s), and hook up your sub to the "b" speakers via regular speaker wire. Turn on both "A" and "B" for all your listening pleasure. Dial the crossover frequency on your sub to your liking (probably between 70 - 100 hz, depending on the source. I like it higher for HT, and lower for CD music. Set the volume nob on the sub to taste. I keep it half way up in my room for both music and HT, and it works great.

You are now done, my friend. This is by far the best sounding solution I have achieved, and I have tried it all. One thing I've noticed is that the Denon seems to run a bit hotter than it used to, but doesn't seem to be a problem yet. I can't figure out why it runs hotter, though. All sounds very well!

I was about to try a different sub until I found this approach worked so well. I was so disgusted with how the sub sounded with music when hooked up the traditional way via the dreaded "sub-out". This cured my yearning for an SVS, and I can honestly say now that I can't imagine my bass sounding much better.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

t-man: Quite intresting method for hookup...I might have to give it a try. The reason for the increased Temperature of the Denon is probably due to the fact that the reciever is amplifying the sub signal like a "normal" speaker, while the normal Sub out connection is bypassing the amps.

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12