Best Universal DVD Player Under 500.00

InventiveAudio.com

Hi,

I'm shopping for a universal player and would love opinions. I'd like to stay under 500.00. I currently have a Pioneer Elite 47A and want a second universal player for the house. Video performance is secondary to the musicality of the player. I'm leaning a bit toward the Marantz.

Here are a few players I'm considering:

I read some great reviews for the Marantz DV6400. http://www.hometheatermag.com/dvdplayers/604marantz/

Denon dvd-2200 Here is a glowing review: http://www.htguide.com/forum/archive/index.php4/t-4640

Pioneer Elite dvd-45a - here is a review I found: http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/pioneer_elite_dv45a.htm

Are there any other players that I should consider?

2 weeks ago, I purchased the Denon DVD2200, paid $470.00, took a little bit of haggling. Video wise, blows away my old interlaced sony. Nice bass enhancement feature too..........................

Here's were to go for your reviews......http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

Three weeks ago I purchased a Samsung HD841 from BB for the paltry sum of $200. The audio from this piece is probably the best I have ever encountered and that includes a Denon 2900 that I have in another system and brought over to compare side by side. The PQ is really excellent...especially if you can utilize the DVI connection.

JR

----------------

On 6/27/2004 3:19:39 PM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

Three weeks ago I purchased a Samsung HD841 from BB for the paltry sum of $200. The audio from this piece is probably the best I have ever encountered and that includes a Denon 2900 that I have in another system and brought over to compare side by side. The PQ is really excellent...especially if you can utilize the DVI connection.

JR
----------------

be sure to save your receipt....

there has been a big discussion over on the avs forum concerning the problems with this unit..... hopefully you won't have any problems with yours....

1.gif

----------------

On 6/27/2004 9:44:14 PM minn_male42 wrote:

there has been a big discussion over on the avs forum concerning the problems with this unit..... hopefully you won't have any problems with yours....

1.gif

----------------

There is a difference between fact and fiction. The "so called" problems are being experienced by only two or three people, and are being blown way,way overboard.

My niece's Fiancee is a reagional manager for BB so, after seeing the aforementioned posts, I asked him to do some research for me. So far over 300 HD841s have been sold and 5 have been returned.

The HD 841 has been far more reliable than the Bravos. I had three defective Bravo D1s in a row.

----------------

On 6/27/2004 8:06:19 PM dougdrake wrote:

JR - Was your audio comparison between the 2 units using the digital or analog outputs?

----------------

From both digital for surround modes and Analog for SACD and 2 channel stereo. Digitally the 841 had a superior S/N ratio (it was quieter than the 2900). Analog wise the HD841 has some amazingly clear and sweet sounding DACs. The Denon had good sounding DACs but not as clear and well defined on the very top end.

JR

hummmmm.....

I have the Samsung DVD-HD931 and am looking to upgrade to the 941 as soon as it comes out. The picture quality is awesome, I am very impressed with the unit overall. Only downfall are the "black levels" which have said to be fixed with the 941 that is due out next month.

Not sure if it is multi-region, but I will have to check tonight and find out. The 941 was on preorder from Amazon for $254 shipped and if is comparable to the 931 it is worth every penny!

The 2900 has a few benefits:

1. It can be found under $600 now and dropping narrowing the price gap w/the 2200.

2. It is a great unit to modify and turn into an audiophile statement player.

3. Great video

I questioned the value at $1k but as it nears $500 this unit becomes attractive--especially with the mod options for audiophiles.

Of course you could spend double and get the 5900 with all the fancy digital I/O.

The SACD-only ~$1k SONY Players that compete with the 2900 sound better to me--and especially with Klipsch.

I also like using my HP Media PC w/9800Pro graphics card for video. I watch movies on the PC connected to my 55" Mitsu.