RF-7's and Yamaha RXV2400

pmkta148

Question on bass response using a yamaha rxv2400 and rf7's;

New rf7's hooked up and configured to "flat" the bass response is very poor. Any one else using an rxv2400 and experience the same problem? Any comments on how to get better sounding bass from this combination? Is there a crossover setting or something else I should be looking for? People in this forum talk highly of the bass quality of this speaker but I have yet to experience it.

Add a separate amp for the RF-7 that has 200 watts per channel and that can drive low impedances. The RF-7s will then have tight bass that can shake the foundation of your home.

Some basic questions need to be answered before antone can help you. First, are the RF-7s set to large or small on the receiver? Are you using a subwoofer?

Thanks very much for the reply. I am fairly new to HT concepts so please bare with me. I have yet to find the "large" or "small" setting on the yamaha receiver. Once I do, I'll be sure to set it to "large". There is currently NO subwoofer in my system for now.

You can configure the 2400 using the 'auto mic' which will automatically set ALL of your settings, or you can get into the 2400's setup (my preference) and manually set the settings.

I initially did not have great bass with my 2400s setup, but after some experimentation I found that when my RC-7 was set to small and the RF-7s were set to large and crossover set to 80, the bass was pretty good.

Since you say that you have not found the "large" or "small" setting on the yamaha receiver, I recommend that you first use the 'auto mic' -- this will adjust ALL of the settings in your 2400 to give you a starting point for the settings per the acoustics of your room, and then get into the 2400's setup to manually tweak any settings you want.

I performed the auto setup using the mic and did it at the "flat" level. Can you tell me where to find the "small" vs. "large" setting in the configuration setup. My next step is to manually change the crossovers. Thanks for the advice.

In your owner's manual on page 28 Basic Setup, it shows you how to get into the Setup screen where youll select Manual Setup. Then on page 47 Set Menu, it walks you step-by-step through all of the settings. On page 49 it shows the Sound Menu->Speaker Set which is where youll set your small and large settings.

From the Sound Menu you need to set ALL of the settings - including Speaker Set, Speaker Level and Speaker Distance. Since you already ran the auto mic, most of these settings are probably already properly set, but you should check and confirm that the auto mic did a proper setting.

I performed the complete configuration last night (rf7 set to large, crossover at 80, etc) and the bass is still paltry. The volume needs to be cranked up in order to get good bass response but the bass does not sound like deep quality bass. It's more of a party popper than an M-80. My only comparison is from years ago when I had 2 10" JL Audio subs in my car which produced outstanding low end bass. These RF-7's have 4 ten inchers and they are hardly moving with this amp at high volumes. They sound more like a low end speaker than a high quality one. I even dug out one of my "Bass" CD's from long ago and you couldn't even hear the low end stuff. It sounded like it was being played on a magnavox boom box. Is this amp really that bad? Looking for any answers at this point...thx

----------------

On 6/30/2004 12:31:48 PM pmkta148 wrote:

It sounded like it was being played on a magnavox boom box. Is this amp really that bad? Looking for any answers at this point...thx

----------------

I can only share my experience. I ran some pretty nice receivers (Yamaha, various H/K) and auditioned others (Denon, Marantz) and was never really satisfied with the bass of my Klipsch towers (three series or seven series) until I went to separates. In fact, after I purchased my RF-7s, it took only a couple of days until I knew what I needed to do to get the most out of these speakers - - go to separates. That was not welcome news because I thought I was finished (for a while) purchasing new equipment. Instead, I just opened up a hornets nest.

Is your receiver a bad amp? No. For movies and HT, it will do just fine for your speakers. However, in my opinion, you will not get the musical sound you are looking for until you go to separates.

There are others that have been happy with the musical sound of RF-7s and receivers. I am just not one of them.

That being said, maybe you should consider a nice sub first, i.e. Klipsch RSW-12/15, SVS(variety), HSU VTF-2/3, and others - before you make any initial decision regarding your receiver. For music, sometimes I run my RF-7s on large without subs and sometimes I run my RF-7s on small with both subs. They are different sounds, but both are enjoyable. You will probably want to get a sub anyway, at least for HT.

Carl.