sound panels on sale 50% off

wrench_peddler

Plus, even for the upper half, foam is just not as effective as other materials, such as compressed fiberglass panels. For comparable thickness foam and fiberglass panels, it is not close. Sure, foam panels give you the "studio" look, but there are much more effective ways of treating a room for the high and mid-end stuff.

That being said, some form of room treatment is always better than no room treatment at all. Just go into your purchases with all of the information.

I agree with Colin that you do not want to forget the lower end.

Also highly recommend RealTraps. 9.gif

Carl.

I just thought these would be a cheap way to treat the spots that the mirror on the wall and ceiling trick would expose. The slap/echo type stuff. I thought they would also work for the back wall treatment. The bass treatment would have to be something else, considerably more substantial.

Its a good thought. Ultimately, I defer to Artto and the rest of the gang as to their thoughts on foam as a suitable material for wall treatments because I am not an expert (nor do I play one on TV).

That being said, my communications with Ethan Winer and information I read from certain primary/secondary sources on acoustics (as well as prior posts from members here) hammered home to me that foam is not nearly as effective as fiberglass, even for treating areas of first reflections (the mirror trick).

But again, those foam panels could help somewhat, say perhaps, in an area behind a couch. I just went with all fiberglass because I think with horns, you need the maximum amount of treatment power you can get, for the buck. Especially if you have a difficult room like mine was.

Carl.

Foam vs. fiberglass or mineral wool.

One is NOT necessarily better than the other. There are no specific standards for measuring the sound absorption coefficients. That's why you'll often see absorption coefficients greater than 1 (1 supposedly equalling 100%) for some materials. About the best you can do is possibly trust the testing facility that does the testing.

Many of the foam products have complex surface areas which results in increased absorption. But these surfaces also contribute to diffusive properties, which is also something you need for good acoustics. The fiberglass panels do not do this as well. Many of the fiberglass panels (like RealTraps)are simply larger and that is what is contributing to the wider (lower) frequency bandwidth for the absorption coefficient you see published. If you place a number of foam panel products of the same thickness as the fiberglass close to each other or side by side, covering the same area you may find there is very little difference. For instance a 2' long corner bass trap, eight of them placed side by side (16' long) along the top ceiling/rear wall corner will provide an absorption coefficient to a much lower frequency than just one of them. There is no free lunch so to speak. And any of the published specifications you see should be taken with a grain of salt regardless of the material, product type or manufacturer. Whats more important is how they are used, not the specific product in and of itself.

For what its worth, I use combinations of all of them as well as medium to large size polycylindrical diffusors, although these probably take up too much space for most rooms, but they are the most efficient way to produce a logarithmic decay such as we hear in auditoriums, and they absorb more bass than mids and treble.

As I stated previously, I bow to Artto on the subject. I stand corrected and should not have made such absolute statements. Uhhh, sorry, Wrench Peddler.

For the next thirty seconds, I will turn away my head in shame.......8.gif

And then I will jump up and down wildly because in approximately forty-five minutes, it will be time to begin celebrating a great three-day weekend of barbeque, fireworks, good friends and family, and alcohol (of course, in moderation).

Happy Independence Day everyone!!

Carl.