Question about my next purchase

bburkava

I am piecing together my home theater system very slowly, and as cost effective as possible. As it stands now I'm running two RB-75's as mains. My next purchase will be a center channel and a receiver. I have narrowed my choices down to the RC-7 or RC-35 for the center, and then to the Denon AVR-3803 and 3805 for the receiver.

The problem is, I'm not going to have enough money to get both high ends, so my question is to which component should I favor the higher end (RC-7 and 3803 or RC-35 and 3805)? Or should I simply hold off until I can afford both higher ends. Is it that important to match the components of the RB-75 and the RC-7. Would the RC-35 get dominated by the 75's as the mains? Or are the upgrades in the 3805 too great to pass up? Are there any other brands that I should maybe look into? The system will be used about equally for HT and music, with a Denon DVD-2200. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

If it were me I would get the RC-7 WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY over the RC-35. First it will better match your RB-75's, second it is a brute center channel speaker, and third if you are not happy with the 35 then you will end up with the 7 anyway.

AS far as the Denon goes I know the 3803 is a great reciever. I'm not sure what the advantage of the 3805 is so I can offer no help.

Good luck!

Definitly take the RC-7 over the RC-35. In terms of receiver

Denon is a great receiver. Also Harmon/Kardon, Yamaha, Intergra

and others make great receivers. I'm the type that would rather

purchase last years model at a substantial savings over the new

model unless there is some new feature you really want. If you

already have a 5.1 receiver then get the center channel next. If

you don't have a 5.1 or even prologic receiver then the center

speaker will be useless untill then so get the Denon receiver.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Thanks guys, that was what I was thinking, but I just wanted to get your opinions. Also, do you guys have any suggestions on where to get an RC-7?

I don't have much problem paying retail for it, although I've been watching eBay and Audiogon and haven't found any. I live in NE PA and there isn't an authorized dealer within a couple of hours. Thanks again in advance. I appreciate the comments.

I know you've been convinced to go with the RC-7 (which is the right thing to do BTW), but I just wanted to add a little follow up. In your quest to build your HT or 2 channel rig, if you have the ability to afford a "higher-end" speaker of your liking, put your money there first. Electronics changes constantly & rapidly, whereas speaker design is a very slow evolutionary thing. Case in point: In 1979 I paid $600 or so for my Heresy's and I still have and listen to them today. In those 25 years, my Heresy's have had all manners of electronics hooked up to them. And I can honestly say they were the equal of whatever electronics were driving them.

Tom

I guess I'm fortunate. There are 4 dealers within 1&1/2 hours of me. I found one that would match internet prices and they were only an hour away. From what I hear, internet sales are a crap shoot at best and you end up with speakers warranted by the seller and not Klipsch. You will most likely not get serial numbers either. I have read of some positive experiences though. I might be tempted to find a dealer and make a day trip out of it, but then I like to drive and my company pays for gas. Carl