Projectors

modoc48

----------------

On 7/10/2004 9:16:20 PM modoc48 wrote:

how practical is having a projector for all video, tv, dvd etc.
----------------

Well, mostly depends on lighting (you need darkness of a danm good screen if you have lots of light) and how willing you are to buy new bulbs, as $500/bulb every year or a few times a year can really add up!

Ken hit it right on the head...It ALL depends on room considerations! If you have a room in which you can completely control the lighting...a projector should definitely be considered. HOWEVER, how often have you watch TV in a semi bright room as the wife, g/f, or kids do something else???? Secondly, standard cable TV (analog or digital) will look like crap at 100", but HDTV at that size is absolutely FANTASTIC! Too bad HD programing is quite rare....and who knows when cable stations like SciFi, TNT, TBS will ever have HD material....

I have had my Sanyo Z1 projector for over a year, and I have over 1000+ hours on it. I have a HTPC with a HD tuner card and a DVD player (TheaterTek) and use it every evening to watch some TV and several times a week a DVD (I LOVE Netflix!!). However, the projector is cumbersome when the g/f wants to do something else while I watch TV.... The reason why I wanted the projector is that I almost had complete light control of the room and I didn't want or need the HUGE and HEAVY 60" projection TV taking up a large section of a room. A 10 lb, 1/4 HD resolution projector seemed to fit the bill just fine.... I just can't wait until I get a dedicated HT and FULL 1080 resolution projectors become reasonable in price!!!

-Dave