Final decision. Please put all your comments here

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, now this is how it is. As sure as sure, if you have money for chorus2 then buy chorus2, if not and you can afford forte than go forte, if not then go 5.5, it is about budget, and availability. Nothing else.Or you can always go with the totem poles, Or wigwams or whatever those erlier speakers were, I am stuck hear with my budget chorus2s, used tube equipment,and suckie paradigms, so please dont end this thred, because I hate to go listen to my stuff,because it sucks, cough....10.gif

Depending on your use, either a Chorus or Cornwall would be my first choice and then the Forte. I have Cornwalls and a friend has Fortes. Both will sound great, if space is a problem, then look at the Fortes, they take up less floor space and sound very good. They can be bought less expensively on the used market.

I have an older pair of Paridigm 9s three-way speakers upstairs that sound great with my Scott LK-72. Their top end subwoofers rank right up there as well, especially if you live in Canada because of the cost.

I have heard Totem Signature 1's biwired playing throught a Rega Planet, ASL SET amp and a tube tuner. They sounded incredible, but must be placed on very good stands, $350 minimum, so it ups the cost. Bang for the buck, go with the Fortes. Any of the above mentioned Klipsch speakers will keep you happy.

A word of advice, some members have had the privileges suspended due to inappropriate comments and immatute behaviour. When you are given sound advice, take it, use the search engine to look for comments regarding Fortes, Choruses, and Cornwalls and read them several times. This is how I went from an Acurus SS 150 watt amp amp and preamp to a tube integrated to tube monoblocks. Sift through the opinions stated for the sake of making a comment and deal with the ones that give you information you can use. Save the comments in Word, compile them, read them before you go to bed and you will be way ahead in this game. I have been here several years and am still learning every day, thanks to the wonderful advice I got here. When you are finished, come back and ask some more questions for further clarification. There are many people hear who really know what they are talking about and will gladly help anyone who wants advice or an honest opinion. If you are just trolling to be obnoxious, then you will be either ignored and complained about to the moderators to have your privileges suspended.

Good luck with your search.

Don

Well. I hear the Fortes really shine and sound better than chorus's in rooms that are small, under 12' wide. Like mine. And I do prefer a flatter response over the live sound of the cornwalls. I feel its more realistic for music. I get tired of that live sound very quickly.

OK - my vote is for the Forte 2. It is a no risk option - if you dont like them you will be able to sell them on Ebay for what you paid for them. I think that you will not be selling them anyway. Forte's were made to rock - they have a superb midrange (stronger than the Heresy) and go low (around 32 Hz at -3dB if memory serves so no need for a sub).

In your small room they are the ideal speaker - the footprint is actually smaller than the Heresy and, despite the rear firing passive woofer dont need to be that far from the wall - around 2 foot should be fine - play around till you find the ideal for you.

The only issue with the forte is the slightly low soundstage - they are not very tall speakers for floorstanders. Many on this forum have placed them on bases to address this problem. As I understand it the dual benefit of doing this is that the soundstage opens up and the highs become crisper and cleaner. You may lose a little bass of course - but the Forte effectively has bass to burn anyway so that shouldnt be a problem. In fact - raising them will probably reduce the room bass boost you are likely to suffer in a room of this size. Again - playing around is the answer.

IMHO Forte's are one of the most underpriced and underrated speakers in the Klipsch range.

I have Fortes in a room the size of yours. And an Academy, and Heresies . . . but that's not the point. The point is that no matter what you put in there, the speakers are not your problem. The room is. It's too small, and it's too square. Don't get me wrong, I love the Fortes, and I love the Heresies in my room. Either set can load up the room to the point where you want to leave it, and if you sit in JUST THE RIGHT PLACE, it sounds really really good. Move six inches to the right and a foot forward, and you're listening to something else.

It's really going to come down to the kind of sound you like -- Forte sound vs. Cornwall sound, and you've already indicated that the live sound of Cornwalls is less realistic to you than the more restrained sound of Fortes . . . which is an interesting statement in itself, since the live sound of a band or an instrument in front of you is, by definition, the "realistic" sound, but that's a whole other can of worms . . . so get the Fortes and plan on treating the heck out of your room. You'll want to browse the Architectural forum for ideas.

Best of luck.

O