$100 Subwoofer

Nirvelli

I have a "5.0" speaker system and use the Klipsch DD-5.1 for a decoder. I am looking for a good powered subwoofer to put in, but can only spend $100. What would be the best to buy? I am also probably going to get the ProMedia 5.1 Ultras within a year, so it would be good if i could use the sub with that too. Thanks. 9.gif

I don't claim to be a sub expert or have golden ears, but I recently helped a friend set up a system with KG2.2s as mains and center, 1.2s as rears, and a Velodyne CHT-10. We got the sub at www.electronics-expo.com for just under $200 including shipping. There is also a CHT-8 (8" driver) for even less $. I was surprised that we could only turn the sub volume to about a "2" on the 10-pt dial or else it overwhelmed the 2.2s, which certainly are not low sensitivity speakers themselves (about 90 db, I think). I think for the money the Velodynes are regarded as having reasonable sound and plenty of output for a normal room. Velodyne may be coming out with new models, as the current CHT line seems to be marked down a lot. Check out electronics-expo or J&R Music World.

----------------

On 7/14/2004 10:02:20 AM Nirvelli wrote:

What is the cheapest good powered sub I could get then?

----------------

Look at...

Reel 810 or 1012(dirt cheap and good)

PolkAudio PSW303(if you find one on sale a great buy)

These are around 150-200 not more,worlds better4v than some namless POS witha one notey droning bull

DUDE GET A REVEL 2.gif

----------------

On 7/14/2004 8:54:54 PM kenratboy wrote:

Do thats Parts Express sub. It will be fine for the money. We have a little 8" Jamo sub with a 50 watt amp, and it can actually shake the floor at low levels! Not bad for what it is!

----------------

! 6.gif

Shake the floor at low levels 11.gif Where do you live? In a carboard box!