PreAmp Tube Selection?

seti

I just purchased a Wright Sound Preamp WLA12A without tubes.

http://www.wright-sound.com/specs/1

The question is which tubes should I buy and from whom because there are so many to choose from. The tube compliment is 2 x 6SN7, 1 x 6EM7, and 1 x 6X5. I am somewhat familiar with the 6sn7's but not the latter two. What tubes would k-forum readers recommend? Any advice much appreciated!

Seti,

I'd suggest giving George Wright a call. I've got a pair of his WPA 3.5 monoblocks and asked him about which tubes he'd recommend beyond stock.

On the 6sn7's used with the 2A3 monoblocks, he suggested Sylvania Chrome Domes, and of all the ones I tried, these were the sweetest with the Wrights.

There are so many pieces of tube gear which have synergistic effects with different tubes, one tube would sound fabulous in one kind of gear and flat in another. Geo. knows his stuff and what works well in it.

Congrats on your score.

Thanks

Just found his website. I'll send him an email and ask.

I was wanting to try some tube rolling just for fun and to see what the differences are or if i could tell a difference from tube to tube. I'll pick up some sylvania's and a couple other 6sn7's that are recommended.

Thanks for the advice!

I will definately check out these sites for tubes. I would be more than happy to give a review of this preamp in a couple months. Next on the list of things to buy a turntable and phonopre.

So long and thanks for the advice!