New Brian Wilson CD

edwinr

I saw Brian Wilson and his band in concert last year. A great experience and I thought far superior to the current Beach Boys lineup I saw the year before.

Brian's new album 'GETTIN' IN OVER MY HEAD' is typical Wilson. Brilliant in parts and just okay in others. There are three standout tracks in 'You Could be Dancing' with Elton John - a real rocker harking back to Elton's best vocals since Yellow Brick Road. This could be a single. The next standout is 'City Blues' with Eric Clapton. A good rocker with excellent Wilson vocals.

The very best standout track is 'Desert Drive' with Wilson doing lead and backup vocals by the Wondermints. Absolutely the best surf rocker I've heard since the 1960's. The record company would be nuts if this is not released as a single.

The rest of the album is pretty good. Some tracks better than others. The only track I didn't really like was the duet with Paul McCartney 'A Friend Like You'. That's what skip buttons are for. On the other tracks Wilson shocks you sometimes with his vocals. All of a sudden he's hitting those high falsetto's like he did in the 1960's. He's still got a great voice and his production is, as always, immaculate. It's a shame the Beach Boys walked away from Brian Wilson. If they were back together they'd be reaping the rewards of Brian's resurgence.

Great review. Thanks and in case your interested, tracks very closely to a recent review in the Washington Post.

Brian Wilson was central to development of the harmonies and west coast "wall of sound" that brought them to their pinacle. Not a hugh Beach Boys fan, but I'm seriously thinking of picking this one up.

Yeah, I agree about the Beach Boys, - okay but lacked a bit too candy flavoured for me. Wilson though is a different kettle of fish. A frustrating performer to like, you think he's dropped his bundle, then all of a sudden he hits you between the eyes with a touch of eccentric genius.

Maybe I've been a bit unkind about this album. After a few listens it's better than I thought. While there are a couple of songs that I don't have much time for, there are some very good ones on the album.

I would add the following tracks; You've Touched Me, Gettin in Over my Head, Fairytale and Don't Let her Know She's an Angel as additional standout songs to the others in my original post.

I guess when I first heard it I was expecting '60's Beach Boys. But Wilson has moved on and as such is still very much part of the contemporary music scene.

I listened quite recently to the Pet Sounds album, widely considered Wilson's "artistic triumph" to date. His original analog mono mix was difficult to listen to using Cornwalls but the revamped -- under his direction -- stereo mix removed a ton of impurities. (Purists will say, correctly, that the recording was changed from the master mix.) In any event, like Dark Side of the Moon, Pet Sounds is neither cliche or tired. If Wilson has regained his touch, I'll have to get his new album.

While the songs are great on Pet Sounds, production value was revealed to be, itself, an art form. Is 'Over My Head produced in a similar theme?

Thanks,