I'm sorry, so, so sorry:

kenratboy

Scheduled for delivery July 22nd:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=E250P&SerId=NRE&sCatId

It literally cost me a few days pay (brand new, authorized, from the source), so I couldn't refuse.

However, I figure, my room is 13 X 13'6 X 9, so this thing should do the trick. I have NO subwoofer and speakers that are designed as THX satellites, so I should be happy.

I hope it arrives on that day, because I am leaving for vacation on Friday.

Reguardless, I will post a review in about a week.

Don't worry, Reference gear is not out of the picture!

I know people don't like the sound of the Northridge E series, but the build quality seems excellent. This is low-end for JBL, so making it decent for them would still be great for the money.

I need to confess I have never heard a real subwoofer in a residential setting (wood framing and small rooms), so I don't even have a clue what to expect! 6.gif

I have a JBL PB-12 in my home theatre set up running with SF-2's, SF-1's, and an SC-1...spec wise it's identical to the sub you just bought, except that it's downfiring. It was also priced the same, so I imagine they are essentially the same sub. It does fine in my home theatre, though it isn't the cleanest sub...Because of this it's not quite so good for music (bass sounds loose and with less control than my mains) but that's what i have the RSW-15 in the reference system for 9.gif

AGH!!!

I have SVS anxiety! The subwoofer is 'out for delivery'.

The UPS man usually gets here around 1-2 PM, and I need to be at work at 3 8.gif Then I get home at 10 PM, so I really can't play with it...but my mom won't care TOO much if I wakr her up even if she wakes up at 5 AM 2.gif It gets worse. Tomorrow, we leave at 1 PM for a 4 day trip to the Bay Area 6.gif, so I'll only get a few hours to play with it on Friday 4.gif

AGH!!!

Hey, kenratboy! Did your TUB-THUMPER show up yet? Still kinda early I think (we are 3 hours ahead of you here).

I do not blame you for choosing it. it looks like a really nice one and the price is hard to beat! I hope you like it!

Have fun and don't piss your mom off by vibrating all of her fine China off the shelf and onto the floor! 2.gif

Still waiting. I bet it will arrive just as I leave for work, but considering the joy, I can wait.

It looks like someone on Audioheritage wants to buy mt JBL 4648A-8 sub, so that will work out very well.

I think I am going to run (by run I mean drive my car) over to Port of Subs for some lunch.

kenratboy:

My friends over in Dayton said they could still see some smoke in the air this morning from the fire they just got out over in Carson. Do you see any smoke from that fire over in Washoe Valley?

----------------

On 7/22/2004 12:49:37 PM picky wrote:

kenratboy:

My friends over in Dayton said they could still see some smoke in the air this morning from the fire they just got out over in Carson. Do you see any smoke from that fire over in Washoe Valley?
----------------

Tons of smoke. The sunsets were awesome (sky was ruby red), and the smoke filled the sky. However, it was about 30 miles away, so no real effects on us.

Was nothing compared to the Martis fire a few years ago, we were packed and ready to evacuate, that was not fun.

Its 'hear'

Build quality: Even at the $500 retail price, this is a nice unit. No mold marks, very attractive industrial design, metal switches for phase and power modes, etc. It is not light, but not really heavy, but it uses some sort of 'digital amp', and I don't know if that makes it weigh less. Build is better than the Synergy subwoofers, IMO.

First impressions: at work, we have concrete floors, so there is no way to test it out. From the UPS truck stopping to bass playing was under 3 minuites. First thing to note is this woofer has more excursion that other units at this price, you can tell by the size of the surround (nice, thick rubber, obviously) and it is not for show. The first thing I played was a DJ Shadow piece with some really good kick drums and rim shots, and the kick drums did not go deep (woofer was not moving much), but you had a nice slap. Then I put on some Massive Attack and Portishead, this sub was more than enought to match at over 100 dB. On Massive's newest CD (100th Window), the bass guitar on the 4th track was able to make my lungs reverberate (you know what I mean!)

The bass is clean, and fast enought to keep up with my hyper 5.25" cast aluminum woofers in my mains (these things are FAST).

I am very impressed. This is not a Sony 12" boomer sub, it is designed to make some deep, clean bass while trading that for noise.

This is a subwoofer for an adult 9.gif

kenratboy: WOO-HOO! I'm really happy for you, dude! Enjoy!

Thanks for the smoke update! Have a great trip to the bay area! I'm on vacation all next week. I hope to finally finish our theater!

The cone?

If you are talking about the cone, it is PolyPlas, which is some sort of wierd plastic-fiber hybird deal. If you hit (gently) the cone, it is VERY ridgid and VERY light - compared to some cones that are flexable and soft (poly or paper), this cone feels like it would snap. While I am sure it is cheap to make per unit, there is most certainly a lot of R&D involved.

----------------

On 8/4/2004 9:44:03 AM picky wrote:

Ken: In reviewing your section of the PBase site, I've notice that you've taken some exceptional photos of birds are other things around Reno. Nice job!
----------------

Thanks!

I have $2k in camera gear, and this summer I was hoping to do more. However, my 'part time' job at Best Buy (home theater) is now 40 hours a week and my days off are reserved for taking care of various business I have to do. I was hoping to go up to Tahoe, Virginia City, etc. to shoot for the day, but I am too danm tired to do that. What I would give to have a so called 'weekend' to enjoy, or vacation time.

Ken: There are a lot of people who own thousands of dollars of photographic equipment, yet they couldn't frame a good shot to save their arse. However, you my friend show that you have talent and I am certain that you would still make good photographs even if you were holding a $7 throw-away camera. So, with that said, having that nice equipment at your disposal is a huge plus! I was interested in photography at a very young age (7) because my father shared his passion for the hobby with me. I am now 52 and have taken thousands of photos in addition to taking photography in college. You have a good eye for composition.

You mentioned some of my favorite places to shoot photos in Nevada (Virginia City and Lake Tahoe). If I may suggest, try getting up to Virginia City on a cloudless morning before sunrise and set up in the big parking lot just east of 341 between D and F street, just north of St. Mary's in the mountains Catholic church. Aim east and when that sun rises you will see the ridges of no less that 5 mountain ranges! The distance of view is over 100 miles! Naturally, in Tahoe, Emerald Bay immediately comes to mind. Best of luck and keep shooting when you can! You live in an area that just screams: SUBJECT MATTER! Try Pyramid Lake, too in early morning or late evening when the lake is still.