RW-10 port noise

Erukian

I searched and nothing came up so im posting here.

I previously owned the Klipsch PM 5.1 Ultra's which most of you know has a pretty decent subwoofer. What I LOVED about that sub over my friends sub is that the ultra sub was slot-ported, the port ran through the entire bottom and even in bassy scenes at high volumes (LOTR movies -- titan A.E.) it would just pounce on it and not choke at all. My only complaint was below 30 to 35hz it rolled off quickly.

I was suggested to go for two dayton's over the RW-10 (they would cost less) but klipsch customer support has me leaning hard twoards the RW-10, just knowing their there to help out is a major relief to me in case *anything* goes wrong.

So I noticed the port in the RW-10 is small.. as you can see below it's a little thing right below the woofer itself, if the RW-10 can put out anywhere near the bass compared to the ultra sub, then how does it get around port noise when there's a ton of air movement? Is there something in the design i dont know about? It just seems like such a small port for such a large woofer compared to the phat slot port my PM Ultra sub had.

RW-10ho%20lg.jpg

Well, I was at GoodGuys today checkin out their stuff. I took a look at the RW-10. I couldn't hear it though cuz those morons didn't hook it up. Anyways, I stuck my hand in the port (Hey I just wanted to see how big the port was OK???) Well, it's fairly decent size. The opening actually extends down under the subwoofer. It's hard to tell from that picture.

Anyways, a smaller port size does not necessarily mean there will be more port distortion. The RW-10 will not be using it's port as much as the Ultra sub does. Plus one of the Klipsch engineers said that the RW-10 has lower distortion than the Ultra sub, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

like xcjago, i too was at gg's and i stuck my hand in the port, and its pretty damn big, its more of an oval port or a flat tube if you get what i mean. Its also at a diaganal so its longer then the lenght of the box so you get the most out of it. I'm pretty sure hte RW's dont have signifcant port noise, at least not like the older PM's or KSW's.

I didnt measure it myself, i was just guesstimating by using the tone generator in foobar 2000 when i had my ultra's a few weeks back.

If im stuck below 400 after s/h, is SVS pretty much out of the picture? i guess my only options really are the RW-10 or the two dayton's.

the thing is im on a tight budget, and i dont want to put more into a sub than 400, i mean i only put 300 into my bookshelves, seems kind of ridiculous if i end up paying 500-600 for just adding bass to a stereo system.

am i sort of coming across? btw this is just for my bedroom that's 12'L 15'W 8'H

as the RW 10 is most expansive than a PM sub, i m sure the klipsch engeneers have make a good port.

so no need to worry about the port noise.2.gif

the rw sub have a better sound quality than the promedia sub, even if some of them are less powerfull than the PM sub.

----------------

On 7/22/2004 3:17:05 AM Erukian wrote:

the thing is im on a tight budget, and i dont want to put more into a sub than 400, i mean i only put 300 into my bookshelves, seems kind of ridiculous if i end up paying 500-600 for just adding bass to a stereo system.

am i sort of coming across? btw this is just for my bedroom that's 12'L 15'W 8'H

----------------

I posted this a while ago but it will help in this situation also. Remember, subs are usually powered so you're paying for more than a simple passive enclosure. "Just adding base" is a statement that shouldn't be made about true subwoofers. Please see the following.

----------------

On 6/2/2004 10:32:49 AM rsarma wrote:

I'm new to this....

Does it make sense to buy a Sub that costs more than both of your flr. standing speakers combined .... I was thinking that a sub should cost the same as one flr. standing?

Is there a generally accepted practice ?

----------------

Actually, that isn't a completely acurrate statement. The sub in a lot of home theater setups can be the most pivital component of your loudspeaker system. Those who are avid music-only lovers will spend thousands on their 2-channel mains, movie lovers may spend thousands on their 57-in plazma monitor or projector, and a lot of people feel that (sometimes in either case) the sub can be the difference between a dry experience and one that leaves you breathless.

Subs are typically expensive speakers. In order to get a "blow you away" type of sound you generally have to drop some cash. You can sometimes get by with a pretty good deal on some great sounding main speakers under $500/piece, however it's rare that an earth shaker of a sub will come in much under $1000. Of course there are always exceptions (SVS's included) but to move a whole lot of air accurately and powerfully it takes more than a mass market sub.

1.gif

If i want to get the sub working and hook it up to my stereo HK receiver, do i run wire from the amp to the sub then use more speaker wire to run it from the sub to my RB-25's? If I do it that way will the outputs from the sub to the RB-25's be tweaked? so say i set the xover to 90 the sub will cut off anything below 90 from going to the RB's. Is that how this works?

Or should I just do a Y split at the source of the audio and then use a SPL meter to get the levels right? (adjust the bass setting on my HK receiver via analog) to knock out some of the lower freq on my RB-25's so i can have the sub I want to use run around at 90-100hz.

Also, about your money issue... if you put a decent amount of money into a sub now, you won't have to worry about it again for a long while (thats if you ever do). Since subs don't necessarily need to "match" the timbre of your setup, they can be used for any setup in the future. If I were in your shoes I'd save up for something a bit nicer, and that way you'd have it for a while to come. Either that or risk getting the "what if..." syndrome. 10.gif

The thing is im in college, i have the money to throw down 2000 on a sub but i simply dont want to invest that much into a subwoofer. I'd rather have the bulk of that money for other things (books/clothes/food etc).

You guys are recommending me totally awesome subs but their out of my price range. I was VERY satisfied w/ the results that my old PM 5.1 ultra sub gave me, so anything similar or slightly better would do just fine.

That STF-2 does look cool though, it's probably better than a RW-10 for movies but i dont know about music. I cant seem to find it for 349 at compusa like everyone else.

I have a hard time accepting the stf-2 "killing" the rw-10

first of all the rw 10 has a bigger amp, not that that means much but seriously, its not like its outclassed on paper. Also the FQ response looks to be nearly the same. Is this just speculation, or have you heard both subs side by side?

secondly 399 with tax and/or shipping is hardly below 400

the rw-10 can be had for as little as 330.00 off brandnamez.com

i say get the rw-10, I can't see how the stf-2 could kill it. furthermore the rw-10 has a variable phase control unlike the hsu subs which are 0 or 180. The variable phase gives you much more control when trying to match speakers or other subs together to get the maximum output possible.