biggest, most powerful sub???

Scp53

just for the sake of knowing/asking/curiosity:

what is the best sub that can be built(DIY)/bought for under 5,000?

that can be good for ht and music. can play well on higher notes to very deep bass notes- and its tight for all of it.

would a 15" Tumlet Subwoofer Driver from Adire audio be impressive with the correct amp/cab?

Uhhhh...what about this big dog?

B4 PLUS

"...obviously the most powerful subwoofer ever constructed for consumer use."

Dr. John Johnson, Editor Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fi

John's review

Just thought I'd throw it into the loop. John hit 110 db at 20 Hz OUTSIDE!

This baby packs 4 12" ultra drivers!

SVS B4-Plus

Crown K1 Amplifier

Rane PE-17 Equalizer

Better Cables interconnects

all for $3849.

That will kind of depend on how much space you have.

For the pre-built route either a ServoDrive ContraBass or a Sound Physics Labs BDEEP32 horn loaded sub would be a good bet.

http://servodrive.com/

The BDEEP32 specs are misleading on that page BTW as that is its unassisted specs. With EQ they will get down to around 10hz flat and since they are horn loaded above that point they have plenty of throw available to do this.

If you DIY with that budget you are pretty much just limited with how much space you want to dedicate to the sub(s). If you have the space forget just one monster driver, go with multiple drivers as it will increase efficiency and reduce some types of distortion.

For around $1600 I just did a pair of subs... each sub is sealed around 6ft^3 with a pair of JBL Sub1500 in each cabinet.

DSCN2750-01.jpg

The Sub1500 was the driver that was used in the Revel Ultima Sub15... I have four of those drivers in more optimally sized cabinets. These drivers in this size cabinet will end up with a Q of just about 0.5 which is critically damped.

Shawn

That's easy, DIY will win hands down. Either build a massive infinite baffle, or a massive horn.

$5000 would buy 32 Adire Tempest drivers (I'm counting on a bit of a discount that I'm sure could be had with the number being purchased). Then get a QSC PLX2402 or 3002. Build some simple manifolds, mount the drivers and wire them up to an appropriate load. Infinite baffle subs are so easy to drive that 3000W at 4 ohms would be oodles. For comparison the B4+ can displace ~8L of air. This setup would displace over 80L. Full reference level to below 16hz in larger rooms should be no problem.

With horn loaded subs. The Lab12 project designed by Tom Danley should work well. Build 4-8 of these, get some advice on extending the horn mouths and placement from Mark Seaton and in a moderately sized home theater room you should be good for well over 140dB from 30hz and up. Will depend on the horn mouth extensions, number used and placement as to how well you can do under 30hz. Might be tricky to get sufficient wattage for this setup though with a $5000K budget.

you can do better than the b4+ when talking 5000$. i say, go with the FOUR PB2+.... for the lovely price of 5000$ flat (1250 each with shipping)!!

imagine, 4 PB2+... that means you get 8+ woofers (instead of the B4+'s 4). you get 12 ports instead of the b4+'s 4 ports.... and probably about 24L (give or take a few) of overall internal volume.

Cant beat that if you want to avoid the DIY route... those guys are craaaazy!!! 9.gif

it can be attatched to various things if I remember right. I saw it once with a big square panel attatched to it as the cone.

Doudou, 2200 watts at 2 ohms and 550 at 8 ohms are not at all the same thing. Just because the resistance is different does not mean that the watts do not exist. If it is a 2 ohm rated driver, and you have an amp capable of delivering 2200 watts at 2 ohms, it will have four times the amount of amplifier power running through it than an 8 ohm 550 watt amp. Also, your reasoning for determining that it is 550 watts at 8 ohms, or vice versa is flawed. It takes a very high quality amplifier to double output when resistance is halved, even though on paper that's what should happen. I can guarantee you that none of the RSW amps would double if you halved the resistance