Paint SF1's

JJkizak

On 7/24/2004 8:09:50 AM JJKIZAK wrote:

If I get the black SF-1's can I paint them mahogany? Starfleet Command says

no black speakers.

Paint them mahogany? That's a tough one. You could peel off all the vinyl, and apply veneer in mahogany, but that is a project that is best left to someone who has done that before.

You could use a sikkens cetol red mohogany, and spray it with conventional equipment, or an HVLP capspray type sprayer. Apply thin even coats until the desired effect is met. You can pick up the sikkens cetol at any Benjerman Moore dealer. It is a translucent color varnish, it will be red mahogany, but you will not have the grain of the wood.15.gif

I have had much experience painting plastics of all types as I used to be a maintenance man in plastic forming and extrusion. I know all of the hard ways to do it but I thought someone might have some slick new easy way. PVC is tough but there are special paints available, especially if you do interiors of old Corvettes. I'm actually thinking about formica but not sure about the grill cloth. When restoring old Vettes I actually came up with a formula using Dupont vinyl paint for color and PPG clear urethane for super gloss. It really works if you like gloss. You can actually paint the clear over the vinyl when the vinyl is still wet. Not for seats but everything else.

JJK