Scott 299

tillmbil

I have 8 hours to make a decision. There is a SCott 299D in absolutley mint condition on E-Bay. Current bid is at $455. I already have one but this ine is pristine and I could then sell mine.

Decision: Should I buy this one and sell mine because of condition? My currnet one is ruff, but Craig has rebuilt it?

Question: Can you remove these faceplates easily and replace them? My current one has a horrible looking faceplate.

Bill,

If you happy with your current one- sound wise- I vote that you just stick with what works..........i.e. "My currnet one is ruff, but Craig has rebuilt it?"

Looks aren't everything, and you may get one that needs more work than your present unit.........JMHO... gOOD Luck.

----------------

On 7/25/2004 7:44:11 AM tillmbil wrote:

I have 8 hours to make a decision. There is a SCott 299D in absolutley mint condition on E-Bay. Current bid is at $455. I already have one but this ine is pristine and I could then sell mine.

Decision: Should I buy this one and sell mine because of condition? My currnet one is ruff, but Craig has rebuilt it?

Question: Can you remove these faceplates easily and replace them? My current one has a horrible looking faceplate.

----------------

Yeah I was bidding on that one also, I gave up at $400.00 as far as that unit is concened all the guy did is give it a super clean job and played the unit through some speakers. There is no mention of any type of test equiptment used on the unit. For the money that unit is going to sell for I would expect a 90 day gaurntee.

You probabaly would be better off buying a fully reconditioned unit from a dealer with a full warranty. I would say if it looks that you could get the unit for less than $500 I would concider it, if not there will be another.

In the meantime I would keeo a look out for one here

audioclassics or just Google a search.

On the otherhand personally would go with somthing out of the Fisher line.

One last thing if you Google the Scott tube site you will see that the 229-D on Ebay was not the last of the line (check the Serial numbers),it seems that there is a latter model 299-D S/N 249780 & up: used 233's output xformers:

TRA-8-5-4 which may be better.

Bottom line if you have the cash and dont mind possibly putting more into it Go For It, at the minumn I bought it I would have the unit checked by a professional even before I plugged it in.

Best of luck!

Bill,

Yes you could switch the face plates no problem. I know which amp your talking about and it surely is the nicest amp I have seen in a while. I would almost hate to touch it I surely wouldn't mod it unless my arm was twisted2.gif This one is near perfect.

Bill,

Some folks are having a hard time selling their amps right now but if you don't mind holding on to your old one for a couple months, things should pick up. If you do get it, don't swap faceplates. Have Craig do his thing. It's just too nice and I guarantee you won't be happy with the stock sound.

JjR,

I guess you've never heard a scott after one of Craig's rebuilds. You really haven't heard how good one can sound until you hear one of his.

----------------

On 7/25/2004 10:40:20 AM garymd wrote:

Bill,

Some folks are having a hard time selling their amps right now but if you don't mind holding on to your old one for a couple months, things should pick up. If you do get it, don't swap faceplates. Have Craig do his thing. It's just too nice and I guarantee you won't be happy with the stock sound.

JjR,

I guess you've never heard a scott after one of Craig's rebuilds. You really haven't heard how good one can sound until you hear one of his.

----------------

Nope sorry never heard the Craig mod. But I really suspect that it is not cheap. Buying a amp for $500 or $600 and then spending another possibly $500 (guess) for a mod you are already at the low end of the Mac amps.

At that point I would just go with a Mac.

Back to the 299-D on Ebay it is sure a sweet looking piece ,they guy has been selling a lot of Mint or darn close pieces on Ebay latley. The last was a Scott FM receiver that went for $$$$$ and before that was a Mint Sansui AU-20000

Good point, however I would put my 299b that Craig rebuilt up against an mc240 (at reasonable volumes anyway). Some like the mac sound but I've owned 2 mc240s and niether sounded as good as the scott to me. Others will disagree but I a/b'd them extensively with some very good preamps. Wasn't even close (IMO). I don't want to speak for Craig but his mods usually run between $300 and $400. Mine was $340 and I paid $300 for the unit. That was before prices began to skyrocket. It holds its own against the much more expensive MkIIIs/Blueberry combo I have in my other system.

Edit: I've never owned an MC30 which is what many here prefer. I can't speak for those.

Craig's rebuilds of 299 amps are very good, I have his original LK-72 (299C). It sounds very good and there are tone controls and loudness to adjust the sound to your liking. A very good amp.

Compared to my McIntosh MC-30 with 350B power output tubes, there is a difference. The music has depth with the Mc that was not there with the Scott. Poorer quality recordings do sound better with the Scott, but when the recording is up to scratch, then I really do notice the difference. Now lets deal with the great equalizer, the Scott cost me about $500 US while the McIntosh with tubes was about $1700 US, and that doesn't include the preamp.

Are the Scott 299 amps good value? most definately. You just have to realize there are better products out there, whether they be SET or PP monoblocks and premap separates.

The price on this amp is not the norm ! Most 299D's go for arround $300 in pretty descent shape. The rebuild really doend on how far someone goes and the tubes required. 299D is one the the least expensive Scott amps to rebuild very little modifications needed. That is if you don't have to shell out for 7591 tubes.

A descent Mac setup will run at the very least 2 grand with preamp hardly a fair comparison. By the way Macs need rebuilding sooner or later also.

Craig

----------------

On 7/25/2004 11:08:03 AM garymd wrote:

Good point, however I would put my 299b that Craig rebuilt up against any mac (at reasonable volumes anyway). Some like the mac sound but I've owned 2 mc240s and niether sounded as good as the scott to me. Others will disagree but I a/b'd them extensively with some very good preamps. Wasn't even close (IMO). I don't want to speak for Craig but his mods usually run between $300 and $400. Mine was $340 and I paid $300 for the unit. That was before prices began to skyrocket. It holds its own against the much more expensive MkIIIs/Blueberry combo I have in my other system.

----------------

So I guess the best way to go if you want a nice Scott is not to buy it on Ebay as then will save you a lot of money right off the bat. Just keep a eye out in the local papers/internet etc and find a nice looking one. Then have Craig do the mod.

BTW I notice that there is a nice looking LK72 on Ebay. I do not know how the sound would compare to the 229D, but as far as WPC they should be pretty close.

I just missed a nice LK72 that had a bunch of mods done plus looked very sweet. That sold for $375 with no case, to me that is more like a reasonable price ;-)

FWIW do a Google on Vaccuumtube.com if you want to pay the $$ I believe you will get some type of warranty also?

All right, I may have to hold off. The thing justs looks so darn good. Does anybody know of a face plate I could get? The Scott also has about $400.00 worth of quality tubes in it if they have good life left.

I have a feeling the end price will be way to high, I am going to check again now.

Don't ever buy from VTV! They are a total ripoff and you'll have to send it to Craig anyway. I've heard too many horror stories. Best to buy from someone on the forum who's already had the work done. I think there are a couple for sale right now.

----------------

On 7/25/2004 11:28:14 AM JjR wrote:

FWIW do a Google on Vaccuumtube.com if you want to pay the $$ I believe you will get some type of warranty also?

----------------

Yup. I think I have re-rebuilt at least 10 of there garranteed amps 6.gif

Craig

A decent Mac setup will run at the very least 2 grand with preamp hardly a fair comparison.

Just making the comparison based on Gary's comment. Not fair and very difficult to compare apples and oranges, but some around here frequently try to do just that.

The Scott amps are a good first step into the tube world and the buyer will not be disappointed. You could do a lot worse on the market with newer amps that, as Kelly used to say, have inferior iron (transformers) in them and just can't match the sound in that price range.

It can always be your second amp when you decide to upgrade to bigger and better, a year, two or ten down the line. If you can afford to keep it, it can give you it's lifetime again in service to you with the occasional capacitor and tube replacement.

What would an upgrade be? I have a Scott 299D rebuilt by Craig

A Dynaco ST-70 rebuilt by Craig and a Mc240 rebuilt by Craig.

Preamps are MX110, Blueberry and PAS 3.

Speakers are 1979 CW's with Dean crossovers

76 Khorns

Heresys

Were would be my next step? I was thinking of VRD's or Mono 10's.

----------------

On 7/25/2004 11:32:29 AM garymd wrote:

Don't ever buy from VTV! They are a total ripoff and you'll have to send it to Craig anyway. I've heard too many horror stories. Best to buy from someone on the forum who's already had the work done. I think there are a couple for sale right now.

----------------

Well that is good to know!

Also brought home an inherited pair of 1968 Bose 901's. I have to say they sound like crap so far. Still working on power supply. I had one them running off the Dynaco against the Herseys. What a dissapointment. The Heresy blows it away for half the price.

Maybe with SS power the Bose will sound better.

----------------

On 7/25/2004 1:12:53 PM tillmbil wrote:

What would an upgrade be? I have a Scott 299D rebuilt by Craig

A Dynaco ST-70 rebuilt by Craig and a Mc240 rebuilt by Craig.

Preamps are MX110, Blueberry and PAS 3.

Speakers are 1979 CW's with Dean crossovers

76 Khorns

Heresys

Were would be my next step? I was thinking of VRD's or Mono 10's.
----------------

I'd have a hard time being biased on that question 2.gif9.gif

I would have to ask in what way are you looking to improve though.

Maybe I don't really know what to listen for. I don't consider myself an audiophile but I've run a lot of different amp/preamp combos with my cornwalls and I know what sounds good to my ears. The scott has detail and clarity I just don't get with some higher priced equipment. Yes, it's an excellent way to enter the tube world at a fairly inexpensive price and it sounds great. Depth, transparency and all those other audiophile words are meaningless. What sounds good to you on your klipsch speakers is what's important.

I'm just explaining my own personal experiences. I don't mean to shove it down anyone's throat. If anyone is near the MD/DC area, I'd be happy to have them over to hear my systems and make their own judgements.