Yep! Today is buy the subwoofer day.

Erukian

I got paid today, so i pulled out 450 to spend on a woofer. My max started at 300, then 400. The $50 is for tax or any warranties i might want.

So the FIRST place I hit up was CompUSSR. And they had the the STF-2 on display for 350. So I go to the person looking at me like i wasnt going to buy a subwoofer over 100 dollars "i'll have this one right here (slaps the top)" and he went to the back, they had none left. :(

I then talked with the guy in charge of shipping/packaging etc and he said no more CompUSSR stores in washington state have the STF-2's and if they do their only demo units. Which I found to be a really big bummer.

I then went to the store manager, told her about my situation and she said the sub was just wasting space on the shelf being like 3ft tall, also the STF-2 is now only sold in special stores. So she sold it to me for, get this TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS (plus 22 for tax and 35 for a 4 year extended warranty). It came to like $307 total. And get this, its only been hooked up once even though it's been on the shelf for nearly 4 months. There's a few scrapes on it but man im happy.

So now I got the Harman Kardon HK340 receiver going to the high level inputs on the HSU STF-2 that I got for 250, then out the sub's xover to my RB-25's all with 50 ft of monster cable i bought for 5 bucks off a friend.

Oh yeah, I got the RB-25's for 300 from my bro who works at the goodguys. God i got some deals on my audio this summer :)

I dont care if the sub was used once and has very minor cosmetic nicks. It's mine for 300 after tax and a 4 year warranty! :P I dont think the RW-10 can compete with this baby.

So I was wondering, what would be better? I have a 1/8" to 2 RCA adaptor and the 2 RCA cables go from that to the HK amp.

Should I add a RCA Y split and have one of the RCA's go to the sub and the other to the HK amp? Or is it better to use the input/outputs on the STF-2 and let the STF-2 setup its own crossover?

Hey man that's a great deal. btw, what's the serial number on it? I believe the 1800 models had a minor defect. If it's above 1900, then definately no problem.

I just got myself an onkyo 501 to replace my crappy pioneer dolby pro logic receiver. The adjustable crossover is just awesome. My system is complete for now:

Onkyo sr501

Axiom m2i

HSU STF-2

9.gif

the main difference from the ultra? it's a lot more dynamic.

But these are my initial impressions, i havent used them for over 4-5 hrs yet.

By dynamic, it seems like there's more "tones of bass" i guess. I dont know the way to describe it. It's like the sub is hitting notes clearer and they dont sound so mixed or blurred, they sound very pronounced as different notes. HSU's manual says it best "the end of featureless boom".

Not to say the Ultra sub was boomy.. it just seems to give a lot more detailed sound. It's very plesant.

oh yeah, it's a very non-directional sub, even when it's cranking 90hz tones if i close my eyes it dosent seem dominant "in the right ear" like my ultra was (i put it on my right, which is the room's sweet spot). (I have the xover set to 70 instead of 90. the RB-25's just sound a little fuller if i dont cut them off at 90.

Really my only point of reference was the ultra subwoofer which I consider to be Home Theatre class.

For 250 i really dont regret this buy.

I just gotta keep adding.

I just listened to my FLAC version of "U2 - With or Without You"

When the bass guitar starts, on my ultra's it used to crank it except the bottom note of the guitar it was weak. the guitar goes up down up down and the last down its pretty low and the STF-2 makes it sound level on each note, completely flat and even. It's very nice.

Keep in mind this the sub is in the exact same sweet spot my ultra was in. I have a feeling the more i listen to it, the more i'll appreciate how well it can do bass. Man i've come a long way from my Z-680 loving days.

Since monday i started jury duty then work the night shift. wow this is my first summer vacation at a Uni and man i have no free time, it sure isnt like high school vacations where i have 24/7 of 'me' time.

Anyhoo, i'm at the library on break from jury duty and just FYI i'll post the pics tonight when i borrow my friends 5.0 megapixel camera, mines just 1.2mp and it communicates through serial not even usb, which i shuoldnt have to tell you is super slow. So the lack of time + me not wanting to deal with my crappy old digital camera is making me procrastinate the posting of pics.

When I get home tonight i'll clean up my room so you guys wont have to look at the bajillion cans of dr. pepper and all the mikes hard lemonade lying around.. If you couldnt tell right now i'm super bored, wow jury duty is so exciting.. not.

HSU.. what a great woofer, the jump from Z-680 to ultra was huge huge. This jump from the ultra to hsu is huge. Not as big as the first, but MY GOD it's so much more musical.

I'm gonna go walk around some and stuff, so expect some pictures tongiht! :)

First off there's writing above the pics giving an explanation of the pictures below it, so dont miss it :)

Alright, i didnt get my friends camera so i found 4 AA batteries that were almost dead, and popped em in my 1.3 megapixel beauty. If there's a slight tiny itty bitty movement it ends up in a massive bluurr, so it took me a while (using my chair to rest the camera on) to take the pictures clearly. The camera has always been this stupid, but at least you get to see my setup.

First off are the dawgs. The white/brown one is Mira (she's fat), the black/white one is Zoya. Both are full-blooded (even got the papers) russian hounds and just got past 1yrs old. Mira is a freak and probably the shyest dog ever known, and Zoya just hangs around people all day and chills on the bathroom floor tiles (its cool in the hot summer).

01.jpg

02.jpg

Here's the best non-fuzzy pics i could get of my Harrman Kardon hk-340 receiver. It gets the sound out. Yep..

Its hard to read it on the bottom left.

1.jpg

002.jpg

And here's the RB-25 in all it's glory.

2.jpg

Subwoofer time, whee!! Here's a couple pics of the monster STF-2.

3.jpg

4.jpg

And a couple shots of the back of it. The Xover is at 90 cause i was blasting Matrix Revolutions and wanted some boomyness ;) Notice the sexy 16GA 50' of monster wire i got for 5 bucks, woot!

5.jpg

6.jpg

My new Rio Karma. Sorry, a friend is borrowing my Sennheiser HD-580 headphones for a lan party, so no pics of those tonight.

7.jpg

Here's the final setup.

001.jpg

So there's proof i actually own the equipment that's in my signature :P

That's it when it's actually clean, the glass gets nasty w/ fingerprints and stuff when i do work on it, like studying etc.

I love that desk though, that's another one of my summer deals. I got it from a senior who graduated and was kind enough to give it away. Matches the RB-25's cherry really well (even though its solid light maple) and mixes w/ my black stuff too, ie (front of rb's) keyboard+mouse+monitor.

Can't wait to show this HSU off to some of the peeps in the dorm. A few of them know what real HT sounds like (not like a car stereo) so at least someone besides me who lives up there can appreciate it.