question on decoding/surround sound. . .

Scp53

Dolby Digital is simply a digital audio codec, as is DTS. Well, actually DTS is a company, like Dolby Labs. But their products, for the sake of your question, are digital audio codecs (encode/decode schemes). NEO:6 is not a codec, but is comparable to Dolby Pro Logic, which is to say it is basically a surround sound process, a method of extracting 6.1 channels of output from usually, 2.0 channels input.

As for the differences in DTS and DD, that gets over my big fat head real quick, but from the end user's point of view, the difference is basically one of subjective sound quality and technical efficiency, i.e. how good they can sound while using the lowest bit-rate / least bandwidth possible.

That's my uneducated take on it, anyway. I'm sure someone can give you a better take on it than I, so I'm gonna slink off to my dark corner now.8.gif

All I can say, based on my former Klipsch 5.1 system (now sacked for decent 2 channel) is that DTS encoded discs always sounded far better than DD. Whether it's because DTS is a better technically, or just because DTS engineers take more care with the mix I don't know.

As far as this other stuff such as Neo 6.1, DSP this and DSP that.... etc, etc, I used to leave it well alone. They're fun for a while, but such processing did nothing for the soundtracks and only gave me a headache.

And speaking of multi channel music, which we weren't, I can't wait for this multi channel fad to settle down and go away so we can all return to good old vinyl. 16.gif

From what I've read, DTS is generally "better" than Dolby Digital because there is less compression. When a DVD has both, I try both. Generally, they each sound great and I don't hear much difference. When I do, I prefer the DTS version in most cases.

check out dolby labs website and DTS web site....

they both have some technical papers to describe their systems...

also DTS has a neat page where they refute where dolby bashes the DTS system....

From what I have heard, DTS is less compressed than Dolby Digital, which means it takes up more room on the disk. However, there seems to be a noticeable difference between DD and DTS. DTS seems to detail the low end much better, and the speakers seem to disappear, which, in my opinion, is the whole point of a good surround setup. Whenever possible I choose the DTS version over the DD. Hope that helps some!

Also, the DTS site is : http://www.dtsonline.com/