Dvd Review: Roy Orbison Black & Whitenight

roy

OH MY GAWWWWD!! thats all i can say is this dvd is awesome!!! sound quality a++++.....video quality awesome camera angles but all done in black& white on purpose!!..when my wife picked this up while we were shopping for a few dvds last week i said ahh ok but i was not really interested in gettin this one....later that night when we put it in our sony dvd player i was shocked!! shocked i tell you...because i have some of the best quality music dvds produced for sound but this one moves right to the top..let me tell you it is perfectly mixed...roy orbisons voice is front and center!! loud and clear..the bands mix is perfect...the bass is extremely tight with the bass drum mixed perfectly!! the background vocals..perfect!! the surround sound usage is perfect for intruments sometimes and ambience of the small concert hall they played in...listen i am a great judge of musical quality believe me and this is an outstanding dvd! now heres the bonus..this concert was done in i believe late 90s but am not sure...the band consists of bruce springsteen...elvis costello..jackson browne..t bone burnett...k.d.lang....bonnie raitt...tom waits and jennifer warnes to mention some...incredible!! the guitars...the drums...the bass lines...the everything..i know you may think this guy is gushing too much but please if you like this type of music with roy orbison playing all the great hits he has had and sounds as good as ever as far as his voice please please dont pass this dvd up!! oh by the way yes it is in dts and dolby dig also and also a 2 ch stereo digital mix in case you love the songs so much you want to copy them to cassette or like i do to a minidisc for the car!! enjoy!!!!

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears parasound hca-1500 amp

driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!

Roy: I picked up the Roy Orbison dvd based on your, um... 'ecstatic review'. Great choice!! I'm not real big on the black & white technique, but the music is outstanding... what a fine group of artists! Can't wait to hear this one on my 5.1's that are in the mail now! Thanks Roy!

• 1 month later...

I couldn't agree more. Right up there with the Eagles DVDs, and even better. This single DVD is the reason my Dad stepped up to the plate and purchased a brand new Denon/Klipsch ref 5.1 set-up.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I